What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scott Hill update - SMH 6/7/06

The Colonel

Immortal
parra pete said:
As I have posted on another thread. Wayne Collins and Andrew McFadden of the Raiders RATE Feleti highly. Both consider him to be of first grade standard in ability, but commented that he needs plenty of work on fitness.
Snoopy Collins is going with Mat Elliott to the Panthers next season. Wonder if the Penrith Club will be making a play for Mateo???

I've heard that he is going to head back to England with Castleford. I rate the kid highly myself but he lets himself down as you say in fitness and work ethic. That IMO comes down to laziness. He shows so much than just potential and I know that many around the club rate him highly as well.

Suitman

Post Whore
Kornstar said:
Hill is a good player but i want to look to the future rather than have a quick fix, we did that in 2001 and look where that got us!!!

Ahmmmm....to a Grand Final. :?

I know what you mean though.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Kornstar said:
I know i will get attacked for this BUT i would rather have

6 Green
7 Timmy

13 Mateo

Hill is a good player but i want to look to the future rather than have a quick fix, we did that in 2001 and look where that got us!!!

Long term I think that would be wonderful but I also think Hill would be very beneficial to helping Blake and Tim futher their careers.

strider

Post Whore
I'd like to see Hill here for 2yrs

his experience would be great and he's not over 'himself' yet (hahaha ... over the hill ... omg ... how funny ... :|)

I think he could do something like JT did back in 2001

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
I'd like to see Hill here for 2yrs

his experience would be great and he's not over 'himself' yet (hahaha ... over the hill ... omg ... how funny ... :|)

:lol: :lol:

Suity

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hill could be our next Jason Taylor, in the sense that he'd come for a short period of time but add some stability to our side.

When you think about it, he'd be playing alongside Nathan Hindmarsh (Australian and NSW second-rower), Eric Grothe (NSW winger), Timana Tahu (NSW winger/centre), Nathan Cayless (Kiwi prop), Fuifui Moimoi (soon-to-be Kiwi prop) and some of the brightest young stars in the game...Surely that's an attractive proposition!

strider

Post Whore
the thing with Hill is that he may not see himself as a short term option for a team - he may want more than just a year or 2 (I don't know - just what i'm thinking).

So maybe his wants and parra's wants could be a little apart.

JT was happy to come for 1 yr and show he still had what it took - he knew he was at the end of his career but wanted one last hurrah.

I just hope parra and hill can find some mutual ground

Eelementary

Post Whore
I find it interesting:

* Hill wants to play 5/8;

* Green re-signed with us, and Smith is probably our first choice halfback;

* Mateo, by all reports, is practically gone...

I reckon having Hill at lock for 3 years or what have you could be great.

Hellsy

Immortal
If Hill could come on a short term contract and groom young Blakey I'd be happy

Eelementary

Post Whore
I reckon signing him would be very smart.

You could initially play him at 5/8, and maybe have Green come off the bench. At that point, you move Hill to lock.

Once Green is settled at 5/8, you move Hill to lock. You now have two quality halves in Smith and Green, and a ball-playing lock in Hill. Plus you have Marsh and Riddell at dummy-half. In essence - a myriad of attacking options.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Agent Mulder said:
Look what he did against us a few rounds back, We would be mad not to sign him.

well, we'd be mad not to try anyway and that's what we're doing..

strider

Post Whore
sooperdooper said:
could we see a 2 year deal with a get out clause after one
i think that would be ideal for parra .... or even a 3yr with a get out after 2 (like morro) .... lets hope hill thinks so too

Kornstar

Coach
Suitman said:
Ahmmmm....to a Grand Final. :?

I know what you mean though.

Suity

I just figure though, 2001 was all worth nothing cause it took us 4 years to get back to anything near what we did in 2001.

2001 was great with JT but seriously it didn't build us anything, in fact it made us go backwards.......i don't want Hill to do that to us!!!

Idealy i would like the combo i suggested but if Hill was to come i do not want it to be at the expense of Green, we re-signed him (andi doubt it was for depth) and to plan for Hill at 5/8th will not do anything for his confidence.

As i said Hill can start the year at 5/8th if needed but they must blood Green in and move Hill to lock, if that happens we could really build towards something.......

Bigfella

Coach
everyone one say why hasn't he been playing 1st grade earlier??

Answer: Brian Smith and his technical theory

Jake I rate Feleti too and I also see the Dymock link. But two points:

1. He has played first grade (technically) and
2. That isn;t the only reason he isn;t a regular first grader (or even that he hasn't been given an opportunity

To be fair, you also have to ask not just why hasn't he played more first grade, but also why hasn't he even cemented a regular starting spot in Prems.

Attitude is clearly a factor. Having said that - who's to say his attitude might not be better under a different regime.

James_Hardie

Juniors
strider said:
i think that would be ideal for parra .... or even a 3yr with a get out after 2 (like morro) .... lets hope hill thinks so too

I agree.

Pull out Morro's contract, delete the name "Glen Morrison", and replace it with Scott Hill. Give him the option to leave to the ESl in 2 years. It is a better negotiating tool than trying to compete dollar for dollar with ESL clubs.

I would be happy with S.Hill signing. I would rather we focus on him than Simpson. Hill's form has been pretty consistant over the years. Simpson, while still pretty good, the last two seasons have been no where near as good as seasons prior to that.

yy_cheng

Coach
Kornstar said:
I just figure though, 2001 was all worth nothing cause it took us 4 years to get back to anything near what we did in 2001.
Not necessary, if he had 10 more minutes we would have won the premiership.

And JT wasn't the main reason we did so well. The whole team was fantastic. After 2001, it was the salary cap that probably killed us.

2001 was great with JT but seriously it didn't build us anything, in fact it made us go backwards.......i don't want Hill to do that to us!!!
That was probably bad management. PJ was to be his replacement and somehow we let him escape and so had no backup.

With Hill, we are biding time so that the Smith/Green combo can pick up experience. We will probably need hill for 2 years. Green might also fall to the 2nd year syndrome in '08.