What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scurrah resigns and Warriors to stay at Mt Smart.

Blair

Coach
Is it true we got our current coach because of Elliott? As in he recruited him as his assistant?

If so, at least that's a good result from a messy process.

Cheops

Juniors
The Jerseys issue is the way it's done. By all means have a bunch of jerseys- but make the bulk of them the same general colour scheme like the Dragons and Dogs do, and only use the "special" ones once or twice on-field. I'd like to see them stick to something like this:

Main/home jersey (black/red/white)- worn for all home games excpt specified below, and away game s where it doesn't clash or cause heat issues
Away/clash jersey - (white/red/black) worn for away games in the heat or when the black clashes
Heritage 1995 jersey - Heritage round
Women in League jersey - women in league round

Other than that maybe one other jersey that keeps the same general colour scheme as the home strip, and possibly a Wellington jersey. That should be it. But pis off with stuff like the electric blue "Eden Park" strips.

Yep, it's not the number of jerseys that's the problem, it's that we never wear our "main" jersey. Serious question, how many times have we actually worn our home jersey this year? Why did we wear the heritage jersey last week when it wasn't heritage round? Why have we worn the nines jersey 3 or 4 times this year as an NRL jersey? Every other club seems to stick to a home and away jersey for 90% of the year.

Campion

Juniors
i seem to recall someone doing a 'jersey chart' last season for the clubs and the amount of times they wore the jerseys. someone who is totally awesome will surely do that just for us here!

WellsNZ

Juniors
When you watch other teams games, you can see the patches of groups in their colours. You watch the Dogs and you see the groups in blue and white, you watch the Bunnies you see the groups in green and red, you see the Dragons fans in red and white.

A lot of them are wearing different jerseys, hell some of them aren't even wearing jerseys just clothing of that colour, but grouped together they form one group of colour showing their allegiance.

You look at a Warriors crowd, some have the black and red jersey (silly them thinking they should buy the "home" jersey and expect the team to actually wear it at home) then you've got a bunch now in the electric blue, then you've got people wearing the greenstone one, then you've got people wearing the white one, then you've got people wearing that silver one, then you've got people wearing the Wellington jersey, and the list goes on.

and so as a result you don't get that compounded group of people wearing the Warriors "colours", you just get a mess of people wearing all sorts of jerseys.

For most teams, wearing the "heritage" strip doesn't make you stand out in the grand scheme because you're in similar colours.

It doesn't even have to be home games, you can see the pockets of opposition fan bases in away games, by the colours they're wearing. You can spot Warriors fans at away games, but there's no unity in their appearance because they're all wearing different things.

It would be awesome if the Warriors were turning out in the black jersey (or whichever f**king colour they want to make the "home" jersey, just bloody stick to it) in front of a Mt Smart crowd decked out in those same colours. But if you wanted to ensure you were wearing what the boys are on the field you need to bring your wardrobe in case. They need to come out next year and say hey, this is our home jersey, this is what we're going to wear when we play at home, buy this shit and be part of home with us.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Fwiw I think The 2011 nz fern jersey needs to make a comeback. The all black one.. That one was good!

Hope Doyle makes us stronger in 2015!

Blair

Coach
I'm really looking forward to the next 5 years, I think with management change and on-field turn around, this new culture will deliver us a premiership in the next 2-3 years, maybe 2 premierships by the end of the decade.

I think we can win this year.

The bubble won't burst if we lose to Souths this weekend either.

sup42

Juniors
The Warriors make money, more money than any other NRL club off merchandising because they don't stick to two basic Color schemes.

The way the Jerseys are sold at the moment is as a clothing line.

If you want to sell a trendy clothing line ( which is what the Warriors fashion is....trendy with women and Kids etc ) then you can't restrict that line to two color schemes.

It's the way it is.

When I take my kids to buy Jerseys they pick the color they like , they're not really interested in my views on the subject....Women will wear what they think looks good ( some men too not trying to stereo type here )......but the Home Colors / Away colors are secondary to consideration that if you are spending $180 you'll buy the one that suits you.

You can't have it both ways folks.

It's either lead the NRL in sales or , risk losing that spot for emotional reasons.

Personally , I want the Black Jersey the White one....and the Green Red and Blue Jersey ...the pink and that's it.

If there is a positive about the mongrel looking crowds....it's the pleasant surprise when you're watching it on TV and the fans use their voices to identify themselves.....undercover home support ( clutching at straws there ).

My head tells me that if there is not a readily replaceable revenue stream to the million Jerseys....don't mess with the Warriors one strength over the competition.

Expand it....off the back of a top four season....expand the Merchandise variety as far as it will go....aim for twice to three times current levels.....50 - 75 Million dollars in profit. If you can make 25 Million in your weakest years.....it is not unreasonable to double revenue by expanding the popularity of the Warriors with on field success.

Bank half of that and think about what you want to do with Mt Smart then with projections of sustained Multi Million dollar profit making Brand at that level.

No other team in NZ sport can make that sort of revenue off it's own bat....why ? because their Colors are either Black.....or White ( figuratively ).

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Imagine if the All Blacks had the same attitude of a different jersey for every whim!

I know, I know, the All Blacks are not the Warriors, and vice versa.

I'm just saying though.

jaseg

Juniors
When you watch other teams games, you can see the patches of groups in their colours. You watch the Dogs and you see the groups in blue and white, you watch the Bunnies you see the groups in green and red, you see the Dragons fans in red and white.

A lot of them are wearing different jerseys, hell some of them aren't even wearing jerseys just clothing of that colour, but grouped together they form one group of colour showing their allegiance.

You look at a Warriors crowd, some have the black and red jersey (silly them thinking they should buy the "home" jersey and expect the team to actually wear it at home) then you've got a bunch now in the electric blue, then you've got people wearing the greenstone one, then you've got people wearing the white one, then you've got people wearing that silver one, then you've got people wearing the Wellington jersey, and the list goes on.

and so as a result you don't get that compounded group of people wearing the Warriors "colours", you just get a mess of people wearing all sorts of jerseys.

For most teams, wearing the "heritage" strip doesn't make you stand out in the grand scheme because you're in similar colours.

It doesn't even have to be home games, you can see the pockets of opposition fan bases in away games, by the colours they're wearing. You can spot Warriors fans at away games, but there's no unity in their appearance because they're all wearing different things.

It would be awesome if the Warriors were turning out in the black jersey (or whichever f**king colour they want to make the "home" jersey, just bloody stick to it) in front of a Mt Smart crowd decked out in those same colours. But if you wanted to ensure you were wearing what the boys are on the field you need to bring your wardrobe in case. They need to come out next year and say hey, this is our home jersey, this is what we're going to wear when we play at home, buy this shit and be part of home with us.

It's true that we're the only team to not really have that, but at the same time (in a different way) it adds to a quite unique and fun experience. I managed to make it to the grand final last year with my family and we had fun spotting all the different Warriors jerseys on show (an awful lot by the way... only Roosters, Manly & Souths jerseys were more common).

In any case that ship has sailed... the jerseys are out there and it would take probably near a decade of solidarity in one strip/scheme to bring back any semblance of unity in colour from the crowd. Personally I don't think they should, I enjoy having that point of difference as supporters. I do wish they weren't retailing at such high prices though, given the amount of them!

Rich102

Staff member
I have a concern about all the jerseys. But only if the Warriors wear them all.

To me the main thing about a jersey is that it tells your teammates which side you play for on the field. So in a split-second you know to pass or not.
With the plethora of jerseys in that split-second you have to think 'Do I pass? What color are we in this game?'. Too late.
We should be giving our team every advantage.

All the jerseys? Fine - if the fans want them they buy them. Maybe even jerseys with favorite players pictures on them. Just so long as the Warriors don't have to play in them.

Just on the Scurrah / jersey thing. Jersey sales should be driven by a merchandising manager not the CEO. To me Scurrah took his eyes off the ball with jerseys and Eden Park.
Sideshows compared to Warriors winning games. That is what will bring the crowds in.

Meth

Staff member
Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but its pretty cool that Doyle has been a season ticket holder at the Warriors since 1995.

sup42

Juniors
You can't overstate the advantage of Doyle.

He took over the NZRL and implemented the SPARK recommendations , cleaned out the nepotist culture , made all of the NZRL's dealings transparent , turned the biggest profit the games seen albeit modest , at that level an achievement nonetheless

The thing I am most excited about is what this means for player signings.

I've banged on about TPA's and cap changes that have advantaged the Roosters / Manly / Souths / Bulldogs.

If I were to make a wish List for the Warriors Jim Doyle would head it.

You can't do better than the man who is the architect of the Salary cap changes. Signing Marquee players is Doyles area of expertise in terms of managing the clubs cap , what it has taken to keep other Marquee players in the NRL , so on and so forth.

When we go to the trading round next year we will be at the cutting edge and have the most sophisticated offers system in the NRL.

All of the Salary cap recruitment will come directly under Doyle.

It's useful to have the guy that oversaw the NRLs reaction to the ASADA investigation and the head of the Integrity Unit.

Warriors culture will be clean , in line with NRL HQ , from dealing with incidents down to silly tweets over social media.

Mostly I'm pleased Doyle will Audit the Warriors and implement the same changes that lifted the NZRL out of the muck to a streamlined operation , no clingons or disruptive influences at HQ.

It will be helptful having the recruitment and manager of footballing operations reviewed also...we will find out soon enough if recruitment is cutting it....and whether having one person bridge that role and overseeing coaching etc is a good idea or not.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Also to mention it'd be good to have a guy that is in regular contact with the CEO & board, similar to what the Roosters/Manly had in years gone by. It doesn't hurt having friends/contacts in high places

Iafeta

Referee
For me its not the amount of jerseys.

Its the price of them.

I look forward to see what our heritage jersey will be each year, so I quite like the multiple designs even if fundamentally its a bit silly having so many. Plus I am okay to support the club when it makes them alot of money. Rich club = better club = better for me as fan.

If I look on the web, the price of Warriors jerseys v other club jerseys are very comparable.

In terms of pricing of NRL merchandise, its the old market equilibrium and perfect competition economic theory coming into play. Whats the point of profit maximisation in terms of pricing is what all clubs and the NRL will be aiming to achieve. I understand that obviously that isn't great for all consumers, but that is pretty much a commercial reality on all goods and services. The invisible hand concept will drive price back into line with market equilibrium in a profit geared organisation.