What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sean Long

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
griff said:
Even if it was "for personal reasons" what kind of softie leaves half way through a series representing his country?

I don't know, but you could ask Webcke, Ryles and the scores of other pu$$y's who wouldn't tour to the UK at all because they thought they would be blown up by terrorists:crazy:

JJ

Immortal
does a f**king dumb comment always have to be followed up by a f**king dumber one?????????

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20751029-23214,00.html

Long departure shakes Britain

By Dean Ritchie
November 14, 2006

GREAT Britain's Tri-Nations campaign is in disarray after key playmaker Sean Long mysteriously flew home last night.

Long left Sydney for St Helens last night, leaving Great Britain without its No.1 halfback for Saturday night's vital Test match against Australia in Brisbane.

Great Britain management claimed last night that Long had been sent home for "personal reasons".

Lions manager Abi Ekoku insisted Long had not breached any disciplinary codes.

As news of Long's Tri-Nations demise emerged, there were rumours that he had been hauled before Great Britain management for breaking a tour rule.

"That suggestion is completely false," Ekoku said.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Long and Lions coach Brian Noble had experienced a strained relationship during the six-week Tri-Nations tour.

Losing Long before the Kangaroos Test match at Suncorp Stadium is a crushing blow for Great Britain.

Long was the Lions' best in his country's shock 23-12 win over Australia 10 days ago.

The Daily Telegraph understands cracks have been appearing in the Lions camp with players privately questioning Noble's selections and Long unhappy with the team's playing style.

Sources deep inside the Great Britain camp claim Noble's coaching style is based primarily on defence. Long wanted to attack.

The pair do not dislike one another but they have major differences in philosophy and style.

There has also been concern that Long has been publicly offering himself to NRL clubs but, while doing that, played poorly against New Zealand last weekend.

This story will be denied by the Lions but The Daily Telegraph has had it confirmed by numerous sources.

Noble was coy when asked yesterday about Long, saying: "Our performance revolves around more than just Sean Long.

"One of the reasons Sean probably wasn't to the fore at the weekend was because of what other people didn't do."

Great Britain must beat Australia at Suncorp Stadium to qualify for the Tri-Nations final.

Noble remains confident of another upset.

"We think we can (beat Australia). We're pretty upbeat about our chances," Noble said.

"We know it's going to be a tough challenge. This is a team we've beat before, we've got plenty of confidence."

New Zealand belted Great Britain 34-4 last weekend, making the Kiwis - in the eyes of some - new Tri-Nations favourites.

"Well, they (the Kiwis) are not in this game on the weekend," Noble said.

"We did some good things against Australia that we didn't back up and do against the Kiwis."

griff

Bench
Fairleigh Good! said:
I don't know, but you could ask Webcke, Ryles and the scores of other pu$$y's who wouldn't tour to the UK at all because they thought they would be blown up by terrorists:crazy:

I criticised Webcke at the time and I have criticised him on many occasions about that since. Ryles actually said he would play in Afghanistan if they wanted him to.

Micistm

Bench
It's a bit of a Lol really...NZ called cheats, none of the sides are squeaky clean...I look forward to another 'shock loss' by Aussie in the weekend :p

Ari Gold

Bench
This has got to be the weirdest thing i've seen happen in RL for a while.

Surely something is up.

A few questions:

How could Long leave his team and travel across the world for personal reasons, only 1 week out from the team's most important match this Tri-Nations? Also bear in mind that he is the team's halfback/maestro, he can't be replaced as easily as a Prop/winger etc. SURELY Noble wouldnt send his halfback back to England within a week of versing OZ, Long is the team's only creative player, it'll be a cardinal sin.

Has anyone actually seen Long arrive in England?

Why did the GB train behind closed doors? are they trying to hide something? A media ban wouldve been enough to stop the players talking to the media.

If it was an alchohol related incident, SURELY the OZ media would have jumped ALL over it!

Long would not leave Australia prematurely unless it was a very good reason (wife being pregnant, being homesick really doesnt classify as a good reason to leave tour), he was hell-bent on proving to NRL clubs that he is worthy of playing in Australia.

Something fishy indeed...

taipan

Referee
Micistm said:
It's a bit of a Lol really...NZ called cheats, none of the sides are squeaky clean...I look forward to another 'shock loss' by Aussie in the weekend :p

Really! lay your evidence on the table,or stick your dumb comments where they belong.You insult any player who puts on the roo jumper.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Micistm said:
I look forward to another 'shock loss' by Aussie in the weekend :p
Pretty dumb thing to say. We often see a club in crisis bounce back and win on the weekend. I don't know if its common in the UK but it happens all the time in this neck of the woods. The team with their backs against the wall often galvanise while their opposition struggle not to be complacent.

I'm expecting an almighty effort from GB this week. Australia would be foolish to take them lightly.

ozbash

Referee
so you are saying aussie wouldnt let the poms win and gaurentee an easy final victory willow ?

St.John

Juniors
ozbash said:
so you are saying aussie wouldnt let the poms win and gaurentee an easy final victory willow ?

The way I see it is:

The 'Roos are a proud bunch. They have an awesome record. Criticism hurts them.

Now, if they go easy on GB in the hope of an easier final, it will be obvious. People will be saying "They chucked it as they're scared of the Kiwis, who beat them last year. They've chickened out."

Quite apart from their personal pride and the resultant desire for a rematch with their conquerors from the TN final last year, I don't think the 'Roos could handle that acusation. The last thing any of them wants is to be accused of running scared after their embarassing defeat last year.

I don't think they'll be doing us any favours. Let's face it, they love to beat the poms at anything, and as if getting beat by the motherland would not be bad enough, they'd have all the whispers behind their backs about their lack of guts in facing the Kiwis in the final.

I can't see it happening.

bartman

Immortal
robyalvaro said:

Surely something is up.

I undertsand it's a mystery, but I'm not sure it's anything more than it seems to be... Maybe it will be like Jamie Lyon's 2004 depature, and we will never ever know the truth, and be left to make assumptions and character assassinations?

But it could just be that something personal did happen (before the last game), Long was off his game (unlike the week before where he was quite good), and he and Noble felt it was no use keeping him away from home or the personal issue if he couldn't perform on the park anyway?

Sounds simple to me. If something falls apart in my life, I tell my boss, they might want me to work, but if we try it and I can't perfom, then best I have time off and sort it out. Even if the person they get to cover/fill in can't ever do it as well as I usually can.

robyalvaro said:

Surely something is up.

A few questions:

How could Long leave his team and travel across the world for personal reasons, only 1 week out from the team's most important match this Tri-Nations? Also bear in mind that he is the team's halfback/maestro, he can't be replaced as easily as a Prop/winger etc. SURELY Noble wouldnt send his halfback back to England within a week of versing OZ, Long is the team's only creative player, it'll be a cardinal sin.

stacey jones and david faiumu last year. went home and came back to the tour after seeing their kids been born (david may have missed it). sean long at least gave gb a chance of making the final.

sean long is in england. saw it this morning on the news.

bartman

Immortal
robyalvaro said:
Yes, it's a long flight...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/international_and_australian/6146222.stm

_42312398_longarrives.jpg

Willow

Assistant Moderator
ozbash said:
Yes, despite the paranoia the nervous hens from therry henry land.

I think the Roos will hop to it but I wouldn't write off a wounded Lion.
Now I've run out of metaphors.

Latest posts