What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season ‘22

Tigerm

First Grade
I didn't think any of the young blokes put there hand up to be picked in FG at this time, but it as a trial and we were OK in parts, (a little bit like "business as usual")? Keen to see what Hastings brings to the team?

macnaz

Staff member
Heard Laurie was elsewhere watching a country footy game. Wonder if there is any truth to that ?

Tigerm

First Grade
Heard Laurie was elsewhere watching a country footy game. Wonder if there is any truth to that ?
Geez i hope if it is true, it was a decision made for what was best for the club? As I said earlier, IMO I didn’t think anyone showed there hand for his position, so we need him?

Tiger05

First Grade
I hope last night put an end to the “we need Jock Madden in the side” theory. No where near up to first grade standard.

He was better than what I expected but I've seen him play a couple of times and he hasn't ever looked great.

Madden is going to struggle making the NRL team unless we get injuries but maybe he can work more on his game in reserves and become a quality NRL player at some point.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I only watched the 4 minute highlight package on youtube so it's not much to go on, but our edge defence still looks diabolical. Obviously it's not enough to confidently form an opinion on but I didn't see anything to change my mind about us being a bottom 4 team this year. I hope I'm wrong.

macnaz

Staff member
yes he was, had it on his Instagram
Hmm thanks Vic , bit strange to not be at the game watching his team mates even if he wasn't required to play. Seen the entire Roosters playing group there. I guess that's the difference between us and a professional side unfortunately . I understand it may have been a family thing but you have to make sacrifices sometimes in sport for the benefit of the team. Just my thoughts 🤔

Wizardman

First Grade
Hmm thanks Vic , bit strange to not be at the game watching his team mates even if he wasn't required to play. Seen the entire Roosters playing group there. I guess that's the difference between us and a professional side unfortunately . I understand it may have been a family thing but you have to make sacrifices sometimes in sport for the benefit of the team. Just my thoughts 🤔
Considering the Penrith gf celebration thing with Laurie, I think it is a bad look. I assume he would have had permission to attend the country match.....but it is still very bad optics regarding Laurie and his committment to the side.
Easts and Souths have and continue to make a lot of allowances for Latrell Mitchell. Laurie is no Latrell. I think it was a bad call by him.
He seems a good young kid...but I think we need to tread carefully with him.

Wizardman

First Grade
This is where we are at. I watched the trial and it was fine in that the difference between the two top teams was DCE and Tommy T.

We don't have players like that.

It was concerning that Stef wasn't good and Tuilagi and Luc were our best forwards.

Nofo's defensive prowess was again on display.
Not a doubt in my mind we'll be bottom four. Anybody who expects a top 8 finish is in disneyland. I am just hoping for good improvements in our younger players....that is pretty much it.

WA Tiger

Bench
I read that he had a slight leg injury but will play in the second trial. There was also speculation the club didn't want his first game to be against Manly due to the dramas he had there.
I think Hastings is tougher than that (hopefully). He wants the Bulldogs game more than the two clubs he played with…. Drama etc can happen with your team mates, (for him at Manly and Easts) but Barrett’s the one who threw him under the bus at Manly

Last edited:

Front-Rower

First Grade
Nofo's defensive prowess was again on display.
That right edge was under pressure for all of that first half. Manly basically went straight there from the beginning of the game. Even though that try right on half time was scored on our left, it was caused due to the right edge defence being cut open.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors

Laurie had a close family relative pass away so was granted leave to be up that way to be with family

Vic Mackey

Referee
Lauries a bit of a watch this space. He’s good but I don’t ever see him ever being an elite fullback. These days You nearly need your fullback to be the most dangerous player in the team. As juniors all the best backs play there, even a lot of halves get moved there.

Dillon is still very raw and not ready for NRL, however the potential is obvious. His speed off the mark is something we haven’t had since Tedesco. That shift to the left where he burnt the Turbo centre on the outside was absolutely Teddy like. It will be very interesting to watch his progress in nsw cup this year.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Lauries a bit of a watch this space. He’s good but I don’t ever see him ever being an elite fullback. These days You nearly need your fullback to be the most dangerous player in the team. As juniors all the best backs play there, even a lot of halves get moved there.

Dillon is still very raw and not ready for NRL, however the potential is obvious. His speed off the mark is something we haven’t had since Tedesco. That shift to the left where he burnt the Turbo centre on the outside was absolutely Teddy like. It will be very interesting to watch his progress in nsw cup this year.
Exactly my thoughts.I’ve got big doubts about DL & won’t b surprised if he is supplanted re the no.1 jersey as soon as this season.I’d prefer see DL given a shot at 5/8 at some stage.Wonder how DL & Hastings would go as our halves as imo they would complement each other.No way in the world will Brooks remain our 7 for entirety of ‘22 & we will regret not moving him on to the knights.

Latest posts