What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2021 Trials

Perth Tiger

Bench
Blore

Saw on twitter someone at the ground saying he did have his wrist strapped. Rumoured out til Round 4. Sadly the outs already stacking up for Round 1:

Doueihi
Blore
Musgrove (likley)

Lets hope we get through the next trial unscathed
Bugger, really hoping for a big year from Blore, Tuki Simpkins certainly put his hand up for that bench spot then.

Vozzy

Juniors
The most impressive thing to me was Simpkins defence. He really puts his shoulder in with good technique he stopped some strong chargers with big contact. He has that Jake T style of tackling. For a 19 y.o whos body hasn't fully developed it was what stood out for me.

Vozzy

Juniors
What's the rule regarding suspension? Can Doueihi play in the trial? If not I understand Laurie only playing 5/8 but I would like him play the first half at 5/8 and second half at fullback.

Tigerm

First Grade
Musgroves numbers were pretty good. I didn't watch all the game, so not sure how long he was on the park?

RM - 130
Tkl - 13
R - 15
PCM - 46

Tigerm

First Grade
From WT site

Wests Tigers Head Coach Michael Maguire liked what he saw during Saturday night’s trial match against Sydney Roosters at Kirkham Oval despite his side going down by six points.

With Maguire blooding a young side in the first hit-out of the season, he was impressed with a handful of youngsters and is excited to see them play alongside the senior players next Sunday against Manly-Warringah.

“It was good having players back playing footy. We had a fair range of kids from our younger grades to our men and I thought they did well,” Maguire said after the match.

“It was definitely a first run. It was good to get the rust out — a lot haven’t played for 12 months — and now I’m looking forward to next weekend which is the real trial.”

109a6872.jpg

2021 Match Highlights: Trial, Wests Tigers vs. Roosters

2021 Match Highlights: Trial, Wests Tigers vs. Roosters

Although he didn’t want to single out any standout performers, Maguire was more than happy with the efforts of new recruits Tuki Simpkins and Daine Laurie.

Simpkins, who joined the club from North Queensland, scored the club’s first try of 2021 when he barged his way over on Saturday night.

Laurie also looked comfortable in Wests Tigers colours after joining the club just two weeks ago. The former Panther started at five-eighth against the Roosters before having a stint at fullback to start the second half.

“Tuki Simpkin was one that really shone for us,” he said.

“Daine’s a competitor. He’s exactly what I expected. He’s got good composure and he’s quick. I’m looking forward to seeing him grow.”

109a6995.jpg

Maguire was also delighted with the efforts of his dummy-halves, as Jacob Liddle and Jake Simpkin compete for the number nine jersey.

The younger of the two – Simpkin – started the match and looked comfortable in the middle, before the more-experienced Liddle played a decent stint in the middle of the match and in to the start of the second half.

“The two hookers showed themselves to be well prepared and I thought they showed some good signs,” Maguire said.

“I was really pleased for him [Simpkin]. It was his first game in a while. He said himself that it was great just to play footy and he has good composure.

“I thought Jacob Liddle also showed some good signs around running.”

There will be a bigger test for the number nines – and the entire team – next Sunday when Wests Tigers host the Sea Eagles in the final trial match at Leichhardt Oval.

“We will have all our senior players around them [Simpkin and Liddle] next week and we can see how they play with them,” Maguire said.

“We’ll have the big men rolling onto the ball — that’s a big part of the position — and I’ll be looking at that a lot. We’ll see how they go next week.”

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Well the pick of the bunch for me were easily Stefano and Tuki. I said before the game Tuki was the one who has been impressing most of the training staff during pre season and he certainly didn’t disappoint. Tall awkward guy to put on the ground and has a hard hitting edge in defence. If I was to pick a man of the match it would be him with Stefano not far behind.

Jake Simpkins also lived up to the hype I reckon, albeit only against Flegg / reserve grade players but he looked a constant threat. Laurie got minimal touches but every time he touched the ball was class. Gun

special mentions to the #12 (name escapes me), Cooper, Rodwell, Cini and I actually thought apart from the drop ball Allan Fitz went pretty good

Pretty disappointed in Madden tbh, on that effort alone he has a long way to go to dethrone brooks @ #7. Hopefully it was just first game rust

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Blore

Saw on twitter someone at the ground saying he did have his wrist strapped. Rumoured out til Round 4. Sadly the outs already stacking up for Round 1:

Doueihi
Blore
Musgrove (likley)

Lets hope we get through the next trial unscathed

Yeah his wrist looked heavily strapped. That sucks. I reckon with Blore out, that could open up a spot for Tuki on the bench round 1, maybe

Last night didn’t give us much but it it did show us a few things. 1)Musgrove is still a moron. I doubt he was going to play Rd 1 anyway but that sealed it. 2)Simkin and Simpkins will be on the bench for Rd1. As for next week, does Laurie or Madden start at 6. How much game time does Doueihi get, surely he needs some since probably 6 for Rd 2.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Last night didn’t give us much but it it did show us a few things. 1)Musgrove is still a moron. I doubt he was going to play Rd 1 anyway but that sealed it. 2)Simkin and Simpkins will be on the bench for Rd1. As for next week, does Laurie or Madden start at 6. How much game time does Doueihi get, surely he needs some since probably 6 for Rd 2.

I didn’t watch the Maori game but his stats actually looked good? How did he go

Tigerm

First Grade
It was a reserve grade trial

stryker

First Grade
I didn’t watch the Maori game but his stats actually looked good? How did he go
He was a handful and took a bit to stop, attracting multiple defenders constantly. A good hooker would have had some opportunities off the back of his charges. Speaking of charges, yeah it was a bit sloppy/ugly but fair dinkum, if that costs him three weeks the NRL should be embarrassed.
#FvckenSoftcockRule

BrotherJim05

Bench
Musgrove actually played very well. The quality of forwards (apart from hooker) was very good in that game and he was one of the standouts. He's a massive unit and caused a lot of problems. The only negative was his stupid, stupid brain snap. That wasn't an accidental shoulder charge, he lined him up purposefully because he was pissed off at something (can't exactly remember what happened). Shows massive ill-discipline which I'm sure Madge will give him a spray for. If he pulls his head in he could honestly be one of the top tier front rowers in the game but he has a long way to go

Muzza:

Refuses to leave licenced premises followed by an illegal shoulder charge with a suspension to follow.

And all this before the season starts in anger!

Reminds me of a saying of Sir Winston Churchill which I translate into twenty first century rugby league:-

“He’s the only bull who appears to carry his own china shop around with him”

D4388545-03E7-4EDB-9599-58BCBD7EF081.jpeg

WA Tiger

Bench
I think musgrove injured his hand in the play before the shoulder charge.That may have contributed to it but yea just dumb

Last edited:

Latest posts