What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2021 Trials

Tigerm

First Grade
TRIAL # 2.

WESTS TIGERS NRL
1. Daine Laurie
2. David Nofoaluma
3. James Roberts
4. Joseph Leilua
5. AJ Kepaoa
6. Jock Madden
7. Luke Brooks
8. James Tamou (capt.)
9. Jacob Liddle
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Luke Garner
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Alex Twal

Interchange:
14. Tommy Talau
15. Reece Hoffman
16. Adam Doueihi
17. Stefano Utoikamanu
18. Jake Simpkin
19. Alex Seyfarth
20. Tuki Simpkins
21. Michael Chee Kam
22. Kelma Tuilagi
23. Zane Musgrove
24. Russell Packer
25. Thomas Mikaele
26. Tyronne Roberts-Davis
We have a stack of forwards these days, don’t we, great to see.

No panic or concern is warranted in any way.

It’s an all of squad game and to reach the finals we only need our mega best side playing against weak or doubtful opponents.

No point injuring our marquee v storm etc unless they have injuries etc.

Finals or death.

Many a good player gets wiped out early in the season.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I wonder how much can be read into the pecking order based on that team or if it is a bit random?

My guess is the starting team is what we’ll see round 1, barring injuries and dependent on what happens with Mbyes hammy

Bench numbers would be just random, think all 4 spots are probably open

Like Kepeoa on the wing, he’s a better option there then Talau. I do think Tommy’s the better player, but he ain’t a winger

Vic Mackey

Referee
Few other small things:

* only fit squad fulltime squad member not playing is Cini. Madge really doesn’t seem to rate him, I thought he went alright against Easts

* Joe O at prop and Twal at lock, had been said they’d be the other way around

* Tyrone Davis-Roberts getting a spot over Fitzgibbon is interesting/puzzling. Thinking it may be just so Laurie can jump into the halves?

* Madden and Laurie will both probably spend time at 6 in a bid to be there for round 1

* Bench spots on the line:
17. Stefano Utoikamanu
18. Jake Simpkin
19. Alex Seyfarth
20. Tuki Simpkins
21. Michael Chee Kam
24. Russell Packer
25. Thomas Mikaele

7 guys playing off for 4 spots. You would think Jake Simpkin gets one however Madge has previously stated he likes to start the year with 4 running forwards, which is why JS will likely spend some time at 13. Although an outside shot I do think Seyfarth is a chance. He was very good last week, has put on size and can play middle or edge.

Tigerm

First Grade
Few other small things:

* only fit squad fulltime squad member not playing is Cini. Madge really doesn’t seem to rate him, I thought he went alright against Easts

* Tyrone Davis-Roberts getting a spot over Fitzgibbon is interesting/puzzling. Thinking it may be just so Laurie can jump into the halves?

* Madden and Laurie will both probably spend time at 6 in a bid to be there for round 1

17. Stefano Utoikamanu
18. Jake Simpkin
19. Alex Seyfarth
20. Tuki Simpkins
21. Michael Chee Kam
24. Russell Packer
25. Thomas Mikaele

7 guys playing off for 4 spots. You would think Jake Simpkin gets one however Madge has previously stated he likes to start the year with 4 running forwards, which is why JS will likely spend some time at 13. Although an outside shot I do think Seyfarth is a chance. He was very good last week, has put on size and can play middle or edge.
Yes, I would also like to see 4 forwards and look to see if Liddle can give us 80?
Trouble is, if he can't, we are in a hole for that game.
But if he can, it gives a bit more power on the field.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Yes, I would also like to see 4 forwards and look to see if Liddle can give us 80?
Trouble is, if he can't, we are in a hole for that game.
But if he can, it gives a bit more power on the field.

yep in 2019 round 1:

14. Packer
15. Aloiai
16. Mikaele
17. CheeKam

2020:

14. Mikaele
15. Musgrove
16. Lawrence
17. CheeKam

Then after the team is more match fit he often brings a utility onto the bench

stryker

First Grade
No panic or concern is warranted in any way.

It’s an all of squad game and to reach the finals we only need our mega best side playing against weak or doubtful opponents.

No point injuring our marquee v storm etc unless they have injuries etc.

Finals or death.

Many a good player gets wiped out early in the season.
Mega best side SP? Do we have one?
Marquee...who are you referring to?

BrotherJim05

Bench
I really like how our pack is shaping up. Not great that Blore and Musgrove are out for the first few rounds (hopefully Blore is back by rd 6 as expected) but overall I think we are seeing the start of the Maguire era forward pack.

A lot of work to do in getting our spine and backline where it needs to be, but I'm quietly confident the forwards are going to put on a show for us this year.

Tiger05

First Grade
I really like how our pack is shaping up. Not great that Blore and Musgrove are out for the first few rounds (hopefully Blore is back by rd 6 as expected) but overall I think we are seeing the start of the Maguire era forward pack.

A lot of work to do in getting our spine and backline where it needs to be, but I'm quietly confident the forwards are going to put on a show for us this year.

We have Blore and Musgrove out and the pack still looks okay. The backline also has some talent. BJ, Roberts, Nofo and Kepaoa if they play to their best are pretty good. I'm not sure if they can defend.

The spine is the issue but Brooks, AD, Liddle/Simkpins and Mbye/Laurie may develop a good combination.

I reckon the team is looking a lot better over the park but can the coaching staff somehow get them to gel. We have lots of new players and lots of player who are hot and cold or good offensively but have mistakes defensively.

WA Tiger

Bench
Even though It’s a trial I still think from it, we could fairly accurately guess where we will end up on the table.The possibilities before the game tho are pretty wide

Last edited:

Mario chalmers

Juniors
yep in 2019 round 1:

14. Packer
15. Aloiai
16. Mikaele
17. CheeKam

2020:

14. Mikaele
15. Musgrove
16. Lawrence
17. CheeKam

Then after the team is more match fit he often brings a utility onto the bench

I think Talau will end up playing 14 for round 1 which I think is a wise selection. I think the game has quickened up which negates the need for a bigger bench. Also we've seen sides have their pants pulled down once an outside back goes down.

I'm also no convinced on Jake Simpkin yet. He's never played reserve grade. Far too big a jump to throw him straight into NRL. Harry Grant played 3 years of ISP before he got a look in. The development time is important.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Few other small things:

17. Stefano Utoikamanu
18. Jake Simpkin
19. Alex Seyfarth
20. Tuki Simpkins
21. Michael Chee Kam
24. Russell Packer
25. Thomas Mikaele

I couldnt have Seyfarth anywhere near NRL. Gives great effort each week but very slow. Couldnt get up off the tackled player in the lead up to Easts first try. Took the ball up regularly but got smashed off.

From limited minutes I was impressed with Edenn Rogers Smith. Big tall and good leg drive.

Russell Packer was hooked early in the all stars game and looked very unfit during the time he was out there.

Tigerm

First Grade
We can only hope Raiders and Roosters do some damage to each other in today’s trial, we play them both in the first two games:joy: