What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2021

Wizardman

First Grade
My worry with A Reynolds would be that he has only ever played in a good team with classy backs and monster forwards. Then again, his role has always been to implement coaches game plan with his kicking game, nothing more.

I actually reckon Reynolds at 7 and Brooks at 6 would make a good combo. Brooks should do a halves clinic with Matt John's and redevelop himself as a Munster style 5/8...or not and we develop AD or Laurie into 5/8
I giggled as I read your last paragraph. Brooks is plain crap.

Good halfbacks are hard to come bye, Prince was our last stand out decent half, while Benji and Lui had their moments and Brooks ,well he is just there occupying a position to no great level of expertise that he will be remembered for once he retires.

Tigerm

First Grade
So the 2 sides that give it to us, the last couple of weeks, have been beaten this week.

Not sure what that says?

Maybe we took it out of them so they couldn't come up for R3:D:D:D

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
So the 2 sides that give it to us, the last couple of weeks, have been beaten this week.

Not sure what that says?

Well I’m convinced Raiders win 30+ if they finish with 17

they were running on fumes that last 25

Rabbits absolutely bashed the rorters and I was quite surprised. Maybe got a bit ahead of themselves after last week

Das Hassler

Bench
Just saw riicky stuart's "press conference"...god he's beyond tedious...what a poor victimized grandstanding cringeworthy prima dona he can be..Joan of Arc was never treated as crImimally unfairly as he and his brave Raiders..just so boringly predictable.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Not sure what that says?

Roosters got dusted by another top 4 side

as mentioned Raiders would have beaten NZ well if they didn’t lose all their players, then cop a try off the worst non forward pass call I’ve ever seen

However if we get belted tomorrow by a side missing their 2 best attacking weapons then I’ll pretty much concede for the year.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Just saw riicky stuart's "press conference"...god he's beyond tedious...what a poor victimized grandstanding cringeworthy prima dona he can be..Joan of Arc was never treated as crImimally unfairly as he and his brave Raiders..just so boringly predictable.
The boys are hurtin' in the sheds I take it?

Das Hassler

Bench
The boys are hurtin' in the sheds I take it?

No doubt they were hard done by and fought hard for eachother but Stuart's pathos is getting really old...i guess the only place he has to go with his sullen victim routine next time they're rorted by bad refereeing is to maybe self imollate right there at the mic and have his still smoking carcass dragged off by a team of white horses. ...

stryker

First Grade
I thought he spoke well. He praised his side, said he was proud of how they handled adversity, plugged his charity, had a subtle dig at the refs and refused to entertain taking any questions. All in under 2 minutes.
Everything he said was spot on as well....although he should have given some credit to the Warriors as they played well and took their chances.

Tiger05

First Grade

I watched the game and thought the warriors copped a rough call when RTS was penalized with tackling the man in the air. It was BS. Then Ricky complains about his team getting screwed.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
I watched the game and thought the warriors copped a rough call when RTS was penalized with tackling the man in the air. It was BS. Then Ricky complains about his team getting screwed.

Yeah but that forward pass was a complete Derrick of a call

I’m still in disbelief that wasn’t called back. Henry should be rubbed out for a long time

Vic Mackey

Referee
Well after 3 and a half rounds I think we know where most teams sit (barring injuries). Did a bit of a break down of our draw and it seems to be in four sections:

Rounds 1-6 V Raiders, Roosters, Knights, Eels, Cowboys, Souths. Very tough opening 6 weeks. I said at the start if we can get 2 wins we've done well. After 3 rounds we're on track.

Rounds 7-12 V Manly, Dragons, Titans, Knights, Warriors, Dragons. This is where we need to make up games. Limited travel with Titans in Sydney and what was an away game V NZ now in Aus. 4 from 6 is needed but really 5 should be the aim

Rounds 13-16 V Panthers, Eels, Storm, Souths. Horror run however again maybe not as bad as it appears. Penrith without Origin players and other games smack bang inbetween Origins, these teams will have a stack of players and some may be rested. I'd like to think we can nab 1 win, 2 would be gold.

After this we have a bye. If things have gone to plan and we're on 7/8 wins then ready ourselves with a run 8 game run home which looks very friendly.

Rounds 18-25 V Broncos, Manly, Warriors, Dogs, Cowboys, Sharks, Panthers, Dogs. If we can go into this run needing 4/5 wins then surely we couldnt even blow it. I realise its early in the season but there seems very little upside to the bottom 4 and 5 of our last 8 games are against them.

I said it after the hysteria of the first two weeks, we can cop losses against the top 5 and 6. There will be less then half a dozen instances of a 7-16 team beating them this year. We have a good draw against the lower teams and if just win those we'll make the 8. AS a club we need to keep our heads if we do cop some beatings in the 2 tough sections. If we come into round 18 coming 11th/12th and 3 or so wins out of the 8 it isnt the end of the world.

stryker

First Grade
There are four teams playing trash footy in this comp.
Cowboys, Manly, Dogs and Broncs have scored 138 points between them in 4 rounds and have let in 464 points (Cows still to play round 4).

These sides are f**ked already. I’d suggest they won’t recover enough to make the 8.
That leaves 12 sides realistically battling for the 8.
Keeping players fit is proving the Achilles heel of squads this year. Our squad is unique in that injuries will barely affect it as we have no stars who guide the team to wins each week - although Laurie is putting his hand up in this regard lately.
If we can stay relatively intact and keep snagging the odd win, we should be well placed to go on a run in the third 3rd of this comp and pass better sides who are battling to field competitive units. We may well live to thank the Knights for their pisspoor effort last week.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Well after 3 and a half rounds I think we know where most teams sit (barring injuries). Did a bit of a break down of our draw and it seems to be in four sections:

Rounds 1-6 V Raiders, Roosters, Knights, Eels, Cowboys, Souths. Very tough opening 6 weeks. I said at the start if we can get 2 wins we've done well. After 3 rounds we're on track.

Rounds 7-12 V Manly, Dragons, Titans, Knights, Warriors, Dragons. This is where we need to make up games. Limited travel with Titans in Sydney and what was an away game V NZ now in Aus. 4 from 6 is needed but really 5 should be the aim

Rounds 13-16 V Panthers, Eels, Storm, Souths. Horror run however again maybe not as bad as it appears. Penrith without Origin players and other games smack bang inbetween Origins, these teams will have a stack of players and some may be rested. I'd like to think we can nab 1 win, 2 would be gold.

After this we have a bye. If things have gone to plan and we're on 7/8 wins then ready ourselves with a run 8 game run home which looks very friendly.

Rounds 18-25 V Broncos, Manly, Warriors, Dogs, Cowboys, Sharks, Panthers, Dogs. If we can go into this run needing 4/5 wins then surely we couldnt even blow it. I realise its early in the season but there seems very little upside to the bottom 4 and 5 of our last 8 games are against them.

I said it after the hysteria of the first two weeks, we can cop losses against the top 5 and 6. There will be less then half a dozen instances of a 7-16 team beating them this year. We have a good draw against the lower teams and if just win those we'll make the 8. AS a club we need to keep our heads if we do cop some beatings in the 2 tough sections. If we come into round 18 coming 11th/12th and 3 or so wins out of the 8 it isnt the end of the world.

Really puts things into perspective. If we can get a win against Parra on Sunday, and really put Cowboys to the sword, it will give us alot of confidence for the last two games. I don't expect us to win those games but if we put up a good fight and build some strong combinations then there is no reason we cant go 5 wins for the next block.

8 wins by round 13 will be fkn huge for us and our confidence.

axl rose

Bench
There are four teams playing trash footy in this comp.
Cowboys, Manly, Dogs and Broncs have scored 138 points between them in 4 rounds and have let in 464 points (Cows still to play round 4).

Growing up on the Tweed watching woodens spooners Giants/Gulls/Chargers games, I can tell you I've still not seen a worse attacking team than Canterbury. They do try to hang in there a bit in defence so maybe not the worst ever overall. Correct call by numerous tigers posters here saying to avoid Allan and he will be a dud/another Jennings in a weaker side.

Tigerm

First Grade

Good post Vic

simmo1

First Grade

Everything you say here is correct, however a year is a very long time in NRL and variables such as form, injuries, Origin etc can change things very quickly. Some teams look completely off the pace now, but might go OK by the time we play them.

Eg. After a few rounds last year people were wondering if Titans would win a game all year, now they are building to premiership contenders. Parramatta were awful in the last 6 weeks of 2020, and probably should have been put away the first two rounds this year, and now are one of the favourites.

Our leaky edges and lack of game management are always going to keep poor opposition in the game unfortunately. Need to fix these before I feel we are guaranteed the win against anyone.

Last edited: