What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2021

The doggies last game has an ominous feel about it?

round 1 is always a strange round. Since you essentially have 4 months to prep for it, some teams treat it like a grand final whilst others take it as any other game. Our record suggests we do the former and maybe that isn’t the right approach.

look at some of the teams we have knocked over in round 1 over the past 5 years. Last time we lost in round 1 Mick Potter was coaching us.

stryker

First Grade
I suspect we will be 0 and 4 going to Leichhardt in rd5 desperate to kick start the year.
I may come down to watch that one.

axl rose

Bench
It’s going to be an interesting year for a lot of teams that have been at the top for a while.

Agree with everything you say re Roosters. Their last 3 games showed how slow and old they looked compared to other top sides

Other sides I think will come back:

Raiders - been up for 2 years. Papalli, Crocker, Whitehead, Wighton, Hodgson, Lui, Rapana, Soliaia are all over 28, with only 2 under 30. Back depth will be tested

Eels - Had virtually the same team for 2 straight years and will again next year. I look across their squad and every player bar Dylan Brown has reached their peak. No major injuries for 2 years, dream draws and still couldnt get past 2nd week of finals. I dont see any improvement

Souths - treaded water all year before clicking against an Easts team who wanted to lose, a horrible Knights side and then beat Parra via a Mitch Moses choke. Bennetts last year, spent big on Arrow who wont improve them. Likley bottom of the 8 again
All good points

Raiders- Bateman really transformed them as a club and so did Hodgson, who is nearing the end. They are an exciting team to watch but missed their premiership window.

Eels- 2 of the better props last year and Moses still couldn't get the job done. They are out of excuses. Will flat track bully a few teams at home but never a serious threat. Junior Paulo will wisely be looking for the exit to the Tigers.

Souths- Agree, Arrow is a waste of money. Will Bennett go quietly or will he scorch earth the place like he did at Knights?

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Interesting comments by Kevvie Walters, we are now copying this roster management system, not sure if we always did, but I don't we did with Cleary?

NRL 2020 Transfers: Brisbane Broncos, Joe Ofahengaue, Matt Lodge, Kevin Walters, Anthony Milford, Rumours | Fox Sports

“When Kevin Walters came in they thought: ‘Right, let’s put all our cards on the table, reshape, toss away a few players, get a few players’.

“But you know what has really hit them. The player market is shallower than a baby’s bath pool. It is so hard to get decent players.”

“I will be looking at changes, but it won’t just be my decision,” he said.

“We have a committee who makes these decisions on the roster and I will have discussions with them.”

At this point though the talent on offer is limited.

magpie_man

Juniors
It’s going to be an interesting year for a lot of teams that have been at the top for a while.

Agree with everything you say re Roosters. Their last 3 games showed how slow and old they looked compared to other top sides

Other sides I think will come back:

Raiders - been up for 2 years. Papalli, Crocker, Whitehead, Wighton, Hodgson, Lui, Rapana, Soliaia are all over 28, with only 2 under 30. Back depth will be tested

Eels - Had virtually the same team for 2 straight years and will again next year. I look across their squad and every player bar Dylan Brown has reached their peak. No major injuries for 2 years, dream draws and still couldnt get past 2nd week of finals. I dont see any improvement

Souths - treaded water all year before clicking against an Easts team who wanted to lose, a horrible Knights side and then beat Parra via a Mitch Moses choke. Bennetts last year, spent big on Arrow who wont improve them. Likley bottom of the 8 again

Likely still good:

Storm - with their systems in place its hard to imagine them sliding too far. However likley no Cam Smith will bring them back no matter how good Harry is

Panthers - had a dream draw and injury run but will still be up there. Barrett a loss as are some depth players. Likely distractions: Ciraldo apparently wanted for Sharks top job, lots of young guys off contract needing upgrades (Crichton, Luai, Yeo, Leuinu), theyre certainly a cocky young group, will last year go to their heads?

Knights & Sharks were laughable inclusions in the finals, but what does that say about us?

Titans and Warriors likley improvers and if Manlys 1 stays fit they'll be back in the top 8

Broncos, Dogs, Cowboys, Dragons all new caoches but with their squads unlikley to improve enough to trouble the 8

Some good insights.
I'm predicting Melbourne go back-to-back, even if Cam Smith retires, Harry showed what he's capable of in Origin 3.
They have an experienced and underrated forward pack with some green shoots coming through in Christian Welch and The Hectic Cheese.
Papenhuyzen, Addo-Carr, Olam, Munster are all genuine game-breakers.
2022 they may begin to lose some of the roster but 2021 is basically all hands on deck.
The worst thing is: since Smith, Slater, Cronk and Chambers have left they've become quite a likeable group.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Some good insights.
I'm predicting Melbourne go back-to-back, even if Cam Smith retires, Harry showed what he's capable of in Origin 3.
They have an experienced and underrated forward pack with some green shoots coming through in Christian Welch and The Hectic Cheese.
Papenhuyzen, Addo-Carr, Olam, Munster are all genuine game-breakers.
2022 they may begin to lose some of the roster but 2021 is basically all hands on deck.
The worst thing is: since Smith, Slater, Cronk and Chambers have left they've become quite a likeable group.

It's incredible how much talent is in the side. They have done so very well to establish a 2nd Dynasty once Smith retires that could easily continue for another 6 years

Fordy20

Juniors
It's incredible how much talent is in the side. They have done so very well to establish a 2nd Dynasty once Smith retires that could easily continue for another 6 years

Melbourne really are the gold standard for how to run a club. Apart from the salary cap penalty in 2010 and the reign of Mark Murray, the Storm have played finals football every season. They have always ensured they have strong players in the spine while nurturing emerging talent. They have always had quality organising halfbacks like Kimmorley, Orford and Cronk. Even when Cronk was developing into an organising halfback, he was surrounded by experienced quality players, like Scott Hill and Cameron Smith. Bellamy did the same thing when bringing in Munster and after showing he could manufacture a halfback like Cronk, he's done the same thing again with Jahrome Hughes.

Everyone seems to think it will all fall into a heap once Bellamy moves on, but I can't see that happening. After what happened with Mark Murray, I'm sure the Storm have a succession plan in place for their coaches, just as they have for their players. I just hope that plan doesn't include Madge or if it does, that we snap up someone similar, like John Morris. I might not like the Storm, what they have done in past and what they represent, but if there was one club you want to emulate, it's them.

Tigerm

First Grade
Melbourne really are the gold standard for how to run a club. Apart from the salary cap penalty in 2010 and the reign of Mark Murray, the Storm have played finals football every season. They have always ensured they have strong players in the spine while nurturing emerging talent. They have always had quality organising halfbacks like Kimmorley, Orford and Cronk. Even when Cronk was developing into an organising halfback, he was surrounded by experienced quality players, like Scott Hill and Cameron Smith. Bellamy did the same thing when bringing in Munster and after showing he could manufacture a halfback like Cronk, he's done the same thing again with Jahrome Hughes.

Everyone seems to think it will all fall into a heap once Bellamy moves on, but I can't see that happening. After what happened with Mark Murray, I'm sure the Storm have a succession plan in place for their coaches, just as they have for their players. I just hope that plan doesn't include Madge or if it does, that we snap up someone similar, like John Morris. I might not like the Storm, what they have done in past and what they represent, but if there was one club you want to emulate, it's them.
I think we have tried to replicate there system as Madge is now only one cog in the decision process and Hartigan said he is not the final decision maker

I was reading an article on Kevin Walters and basically said they do the same thing guess it stops the Ivan’s destroying your cap

Fordy20

Juniors
I was reading an article on Kevin Walters and basically said they do the same thing guess it stops the Ivan’s destroying your cap

I'm not sure that it does. Let's stay on the Broncos. Uncle Wayne has said that he wasn't responsible for the long contracts offered to some players during his last term coaching the Broncos, yet the Broncos still ended up with some doozies, like the contract offered to Boyd. The problem is, if you have a strong coach who tells you he wants a player and you have a weak office that just does what the coach says, the office will make whatever agreement they need to make to get that player and you'll end up with another Ivan situation.

We've been swinging between giving the coach too much control and not enough control ever since Noyce was forced to re-sign Sheens to keep Benji back in 2007. Finding the right coach and the right administrators has been tough, but after a few scares like the Latrel Mitchell situation, I reckon we might be starting to get the balance right.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/96d238943c6ac4caa102cc9006b5acfe

Walters did reveal to The Courier Mail back in October that he would be meeting with club officials to discuss potential recruitment and retention decisions for the upcoming season.

It was reported that up to 10 players could be in the firing line.

“I will be looking at changes, but it won’t just be my decision,” he said.

“We have a committee who makes these decisions on the roster and I will have discussions with them.”

At this point though the talent on offer is limited.

Tigerm

First Grade
Madge is not even in charge Hartigan is and has said much the same, just can’t find the article atm

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2020/11/09/wests-tigers-confirm-2021-football-department/

Wests Tigers 2021 Football Department
  • Adam Hartigan — General Manager – Football
  • Michael Maguire — NRL Head Coach
  • Shane Millard — NRL Assistant Coach
  • Wayne Collins — NRL Assistant Coach
  • Andrew Gray — Head of Performance
  • Matthew Jay — NRL Performance Coach
  • Aaron Sculli — NRL Performance Coach
  • James Wright — NRL Football Manager and Leadership Consultant

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Found it, interesting reading.

https://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_...rl-premiership-winning-team-draft-free-league

"Recruitment falls under my job description, but we have a recruitment manager as well as a list analyst who spends a lot of time looking at statistics and players coming through and how they potentially fit our model, so there is a group of us working on it, so there is regular communication with that group," Hartigan said. "I oversee it and I present a case to the CEO and coach as to who we should sign and why."

"I think it's important that the senior coach has complete buy-in as to which players are coming in. Otherwise if they don't have that buy-in it's harder for them to believe in that player when they are coaching them.

"It's the same with Madge (Michael Maguire, Tigers head coach) I think it is important that your coach has a say, it's not necessarily the final say, but they need to be across what direction we are going with when it comes to recruitment.

WA Tiger

Bench
I just hope that plan doesn't include Madge or if it does, that we snap up someone similar, like John Morris.
Mate I am impressed with your league knowledge.Its far better than I originally thought and light years ahead of mine (Although from my experience u don’t take disagreement that well but then who does right ) ..but then u come out with the above and honestly each time I see you write it I think u MUST be joking, then I realise your not ...The storm aren't stupid enough to take out the ‘results’ tick box when deciding on a new coach. Madge is a liability , they know that. They also know that entitled kids these days are not going to rush to a coach that inflicts more discipline on them and to a coach that will mean they have to work harder / longer than the norm unless they have no choice or the money is just too good ..And then the John Morris for us idea Again ?? .. More likely WT are having a cursory look around already hence the extension for Madge.. and the Storm? Smith If he wants it. For him at least he would still be in a position to change the refs mind

Last edited:
So right now we look like

1. Mbye
2. Nofa
3. Roberts
4. Leilua
5. Talau
6. Douehi
7. Brooks
8. Tamou
9. Liddle
10. Mikaele
11. Garner
12. Leilua
13. Twal

14. Chee-Kam
15. Ofahengaue
16. Blore
17. Musgrove

WA Tiger

Bench
Mate I am impressed with your league knowledge.Its far better than I originally thought and light years ahead of mine (Although from my experience u don’t take disagreement that well but then who does right ) ..but then u come out with the above and honestly each time I see you write it I think u MUST be joking, then I realise your not ...The storm aren't stupid enough to take out the ‘results’ tick box when deciding on a new coach. Madge is a liability. They know that. They also know that entitled kids these days are not going to rush to a coach that inflicts more discipline on them And have to work harder / longer than the norm unless they have no choice or the money is just too good ..And then the John Morris for us idea Again ?? .. More likely WT are having a cursory look around already hence the extension for Madge.. and the Storm? Smith If he wants it. For him at least he would still be in a position to change the refs mind
And... If we don’t offer Nofo what he’s worth at WT the balance isn’t right...mind u I can see Nofo being a little less great next year without Benji feeding him balls others wouldn’t be able to with accuracy ..unless AD is an outstanding 6 which is possible but as good a distributor pass/kick for Nofo as Benji? not likely

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee

1. Mbye
2. Nofa
3. Roberts
4. Leilua
5. Talau
6. Douehi
7. Brooks
8. Tamou
9. Liddle
10. Mikaele
11. Garner
12. Leilua
13. Twal

14. Chee-Kam
15. Ofahengaue
16. Blore
17. Musgrove

Looks likely

Apparently we’re going to use the Aloiai compo to try and get Laurie from Penrith for this year who would then be 1

I read somewhere they see Joe O as an 80 min lock

I also think our bench will be 2 props, an edge forward and a utility/hooker (Mbye, Reynolds/Simpkins) as is be surprised if Madge backs Liddle to play 80 from round 1

Purely my opinion but I’d have Kepeoa on the wing instead of Tommy and don’t be surprised if Stefano Utoikamanu grabs a bench spot

Fingers crossed we get Laurie then we’d see something like:

1. Laurie/Mbye
2. Nofoaluma
3. Leilua
4. Roberts
5. Kepeoa
6. Doeuihi
7. Brooks
8. Tamou
9. Liddle
10. Twal
11. Leilua
12. Garner
13. Ofahenguae
14. Musgrove
15. Utoikamanu
16. Blore
17. Mbye/Reynolds

The 2-5 and pack/bench match up pretty well against most sides, it’s really going to be upto the spine to perform

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench

1. Mbye
2. Nofa
3. Roberts
4. Leilua
5. Talau
6. Douehi
7. Brooks
8. Tamou
9. Liddle
10. Mikaele
11. Garner
12. Leilua
13. Twal

14. Chee-Kam
15. Ofahengaue
16. Blore
17. Musgrove
Thats a pretty solid bench under the old rules but we need some leg speed. Is Grant actually training with Storm and Smith officially retired yet?

Latest posts