What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2022

Tigerm

First Grade
1633482735701.png
New logo to be revealed tonight? Getting the important stuff out of the way?

soc123_au

Staff member
Yep. It's just media dribble. I like it in a lot of ways. It means that our halves which were shit are under pressure. I'd slot Hastings straight into the halves and see how he goes. You could even play Peachy at 6 assuming we sign him. We need options other than Brooks.
You don't want Peach at 6. Someone needs to bite the bullet and play him at lock where he belongs. He is still handy cover for halves or centres in case of mid game injury, but he should never start a game there.

I hope you guys get him. He has his weaknesses, but he always plays with heart. I loved him when he was a Panther.

Tiger05

First Grade
You don't want Peach at 6. Someone needs to bite the bullet and play him at lock where he belongs. He is still handy cover for halves or centres in case of mid game injury, but he should never start a game there.

I hope you guys get him. He has his weaknesses, but he always plays with heart. I loved him when he was a Panther.

This is good feedback. I hope we get him but I don't see it as a great signing. He is at the backend of his career. Some players just go off the boil quickly.

As for playing 6 we just need options in the halves. We have Brooks, Madden, Douiehi and Hastings as options. Doueihi is injured until early next season and may take some time to come back. Hastings is unknown. Madden has had limited chances but he hasn't taken those chances. Brooks has had heaps of opportunities but he doesn't seem to win games for us when it's on the line.

This is good feedback. I hope we get him but I don't see it as a great signing. He is at the backend of his career. Some players just go off the boil quickly.

As for playing 6 we just need options in the halves. We have Brooks, Madden, Douiehi and Hastings as options. Doueihi is injured until early next season and may take some time to come back. Hastings is unknown. Madden has had limited chances but he hasn't taken those chances. Brooks has had heaps of opportunities but he doesn't seem to win games for us when it's on the line.
I trust @soc123_au judgment on these matters. He rarely errs.

soc123_au

Staff member
I trust @soc123_au judgment on these matters. He rarely errs.
I don't know about that, I thought Aussie Jim would have offered more than he appeared to last season. Although I imagine he has been a good influence on Stefano who looks like he will be a gun. He was pretty average in his first year at Penrith too, so there is hope he just takes a while to settle in.

The available talent across the comp looks pretty bleak right at the moment. Quite a few squads with spots in the 30 available so it's a sellers market.

14044651-9E90-4EA8-B83C-20C8F6B3ECFB.jpeg
We might have a big change of heart if we embrace brother and sister Magpies.

They have some claims agitating for the suspension of the Tiger until we improve our ruck speed.

stryker

First Grade
It could be time for paranoid Tiger to be retired and we can embrace the honourable Magpie for awhile.

I think it used to be Markus the Magpie, one of our Blood Brothers could assist.
Because the Magpie is a shit animal that only survives because it’s protected? I mean if we were allowed to murder those f**kheads during Spring we’d near wipe them out.

stryker

First Grade
You conveniently forgot our renowned variation in the attack, dropped ball and ankle passes.

Now Cotric v Lomax el Stryker-puss?

We can buy only one, which one and provide a short justification in your answer.

All other forumers invited to help Stryker with his answer if you want.
Cotric. Lomax is over rated.

Cotric. Lomax is over rated.
Ex player at work thinks Lomax.

Better hands
Can kick
More tricks.

But said Cotric is a weapon and would make a solid fullback.

Then we had a chat about how a back should run at the line and all things being equal, which defender you should take on.

Bring on the Balmain Magpies, stop the hurt.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
AJ Kepaoa - absolutely clueless on the wing. Could not catch a cold. He played half a game at left centre which left many to think he'd found his calling. I am still not convinced.
Reece Hoffman - development severely hampered by COVID but has not done anywhere near enough in reggies to warrant NRL consideration.
William Kei - looks far too small from a limited sample size.
Oliver Gildart - unproven at NRL level. Injury prone and short. Size is subjective but I want my centres at least as big as the 4 who played in the GF.

Canterbury are going to have to part with an outside back. They have just signed Braiden Burns today whose career has been wrecked by injuries. Dogs would have 8/9 outside backs now who all might expect NRL minutes.
Cotric has been rumoured to be on the way out. I think the fact he covers all backline positions gives him big appeal for WT.

The other player who we hear might be unsettled is Zac Lomax. There was his refusal to sign a stat dec in relation to the Vaughan party (which was never properly investigated by the media). Why did this occur? Saints have also just signed Moses Suli on big $$$ which surprised me.

Lomax is on something like a 6 year $500k per year contract which he signed under Mary just before he was sacked.

In summary for me the last 4 spots might end up going to:
Peachey
Edge forward
2 o/s backs of a standard comparable to Cotric/Lomax (noting we already have plenty of backups among those named above)

Agree the outside backs need attention. None of our centers fill me with any confidence. I don’t think Talau is anything special but him doing his ACL in round 25 is a nightmare for us. On the guys you mentioned

Kepeoa: his hands let him down on the wing but otherwise I think there’s a good footballer there. He’s big, fast and has a go. All his juniors were at fullback or center. He literally only played wing in first grade for us. Centre is his best position, will be back to full fitness in December so will have most of the pre season

Hoffman: has put on a good amount of size. Will never be a stand out first grader but the type of guy who’s probably Do a job at center in a good side

Kei: I have never, ever seen anything from this guy. He is shit, I can’t believe we signed him on a 3 year deal. Can someone please plant some drugs on him and get him sacked? Every single one of our Jersey Flegg backline are better then him

Gildart: in 18/19 this guy was absolutely electric and would have 100% been a success in the NRL. In 20 he had some bad injuries and this year never got back to his previous form. Still only 25 so there’s hope for him, but I’m not sold.

Apparently we have signed Logen Dillon (fullback) and Liam Scolari (wing) from the Flegg side for next year. I’m unsure if they are NRL, development or Nsw cup deals.

Dillon was arguably the star of the Flegg side which was undefeated after 14 rounds. Raw pace and started to develop a good passing game. Plays in a simile vein to Papenhuyzen. I wouldn’t be playing him NRL in 2022 but he is worth holding

Scolari is a nuggety Hard working player. Not as explosive however he’s a very smart winger who reads defence well. Reminds me of Matt Sing. Probably not ready for NRL yet but wouldn’t be far off.

The one from the team who looked ready for first grade is Israel Ogden, can play all 3 positions but looked best at centre. I’d take him over the 4 we spoke about as being in the NRL squad.

Scolari: it’s good to see a highlights package of a back that includes defence, check out his try saver at about 1.25min

Dillon from this year:

Good stuff

Did you see Scolari tackle at 50 seconds?

Knocks the ball out, lifts old mate 3 feet and pile drives him into China!

I don’t think I’ve seen such a dominant tackle in the NRL this year. It’s not like snorklett was 3 feet either.

I hope we get to see more of him soon.

The other guy looks even better lol.

The 1.25 try saver was meathead on the run and young mates technique was pristine.

Im tucking into this over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
I don't know about that, I thought Aussie Jim would have offered more than he appeared to last season. Although I imagine he has been a good influence on Stefano who looks like he will be a gun. He was pretty average in his first year at Penrith too, so there is hope he just takes a while to settle in.

The available talent across the comp looks pretty bleak right at the moment. Quite a few squads with spots in the 30 available so it's a sellers market.
Yeah I’ve been combing the market and the best players are way too expensive.

Stef is a priority signing long contract. He’s in Madge’s core group so that will happen.

Jim’s had a tough year, but not exactly surrounded with majors.