What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2022

Tigerm

First Grade
I disagree.

On paper, if most or all of our players were playing well and near optimum, we could have made the finals.

He inherited only 65% of a proper cap which has been a serious impediment to the success of tenure so far.

This is not a tip or related to my signings “ news” but does anyone like that Canberra Huth?
I tend to agree with you on this, not sure who set the recruitment policies on not paying overs, (I believe sometimes we must, as it is killing us not too?) we were only a few games from the final 8, so I think a few solid FG's to supplement out team, will put us in good stead, provided they can stay healthy?

I really believe the first goal, is to reach the 8, then the better players will hopefully look at us differently?

Can't say I follow the Raiders to know about there players too much?

stryker

First Grade
I disagree.

On paper, if most or all of our players were playing well and near optimum, we could have made the finals.

He inherited only 65% of a proper cap which has been a serious impediment to the success of tenure so far.

This is not a tip or related to my signings “ news” but does anyone like that Canberra Huth?

He has missed a heap of potential signings and lost some juniors.
Fat prick should go back to coaching the sheilas…

He has missed a heap of potential signings and lost some juniors.
Fat prick should go back to coaching the sheilas…
You may not be familiar with all of these cases other than media reports?

No other club has signed a lawrie, stefano, dougie, Lucy, Hastings and Gilbert on little more than beer money.

Now we have $1.6m to sign a few players, that’s a couple of Cameron Murrays plus change for a quality utility. Buy Mbye back!

Last edited:
The Storm do it regularly. Maybe they pay them in cocaine off the books.
I think Wendell will be called in as an expert commentator of this one.

My defence for them was that this was a set up to catch a mate out for disloyalty and they did a drug test the next day.

Then if they did partake, they send two mates to the clinic with their Medicare IDs who come up clean.

Therefore nothing in it.

There’s been plenty of ivans who have done the dirty on footy players. Or mates of mates who get the footage and don’t care.

Snitches, bitches and scum of the earth. I hope Munster catches up with him in a dark alley.

Footy players in general are our friends, unless it’s a personal dispute and you are directly involved, my policy is to turn the other cheek and support them.

You often find the most hated players in the game publically are pretty nice in person.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

Junior coaches names for 2022​

Western Suburbs Magpies​

SG BALL CUP​

Joey Saukuru — Head Coach

Nathan Lakeman — Assistant Coach

Chris Browne — Assistant Coach

HAROLD MATTHEWS CUP​

Robert Mears — Head Coach

Stephen Isdale — Assistant Coach

Shayne McMenemy — Assistant Coach

Balmain Tigers​

SG BALL CUP​

Scott Kenna — Head Coach

Chris Yates — Assistant Coach

Gavin Sheehan — Assistant Coach

HAROLD MATTHEWS CUP​

Christopher Crotty — Head Coach

Chris Nero — Assistant Coach

Michael Rodrigues — Assistant Coach

Macarthur Wests Tigers​

LAURIE DALEY CUP​

Tom Morrison — Head Coach

Michael Holz — Assistant Coach

Andrew Clarke — Assistant Coach

ANDREW JOHNS CUP​

Wayne Azzopardi — Head Coach

Harrison Fox — Assistant Coach

Ben Taylor — Assistant Coach

Wests Tigers​

TARSHA GALE CUP​

Head Coach — David Fauonuku

Letitia Taylor — Assistant Coach

stryker

First Grade
No other club has signed a lawrie, stefano, dougie, Lucy, Hastings and Gilbert on little more than beer money.
Laurie and Stephano weren’t first graders when we signed them. Good foresight to acknowledge the potential but the real work will be keeping them. They may have signed for “beer money” but it’s their next contract that matters.
Doueihi did not sign for “beer money”. He is on good coin. So far, the return on investment is not great.
Luciano is on over 400k, more than reasonable for a bloke who hadn’t set the world on fire at Saints.
Hastings may end up being a good signing but we missed Reynolds whilst chasing him. That’s poor recruitment.
Gildart ..I hope he was cheap.

We have a strong war chest and no one worthy of spending it on left in the market. The recruitment team has been asleep whilst a lot of talent became available and was snapped up. Hartigan is in charge of this.

Laurie and Stephano weren’t first graders when we signed them. Good foresight to acknowledge the potential but the real work will be keeping them. They may have signed for “beer money” but it’s their next contract that matters.
Doueihi did not sign for “beer money”. He is on good coin. So far, the return on investment is not great.
Luciano is on over 400k, more than reasonable for a bloke who hadn’t set the world on fire at Saints.
Hastings may end up being a good signing but we missed Reynolds whilst chasing him. That’s poor recruitment.

We have a strong war chest and no one worthy of spending it on left in the market. The recruitment team has been asleep whilst a lot of talent became available and was snapped up. Hartigan is in charge of this.
Doogie has been one of best players, certainly consistent and has delivered. That’s especially in comparison to our other high income earners.

Lucy has made significant strides this year and on the balance, is travelling up the diagonal. The Saints guys are furious for letting him go.

Renno wasn’t yet on the market when we started and claimed Hastings. 5 months to get him. But Hastings is on the up while Renno can’t can only be in decline. Hed be an entirely unknown quantity in a team of jolly Rogers like ours. I mean he’s great with the best 5/8 on earth and the likes of Cameron Murray. I don’t mean to rude, but we all know he’s off to Brisbane to retire. We’ve had enough retirees ( although turning 26 seems to be our retirement age these days).

Gilbert seems to be a good player, but it’s esl and the competency rate is only 3/4 of nrl. Although to be fair, I quite like watching esl. Something earthy about it.

I made the point earlier in the year, the market is fluid. We don’t want to be offering Sharon marquee.

Just another consideration for the starving Tigers fan.

I was just considering that statistic that this year we had the youngest squad in the game and it is almost dead on a year younger than the nrl average.

That’s about a seasons worth of inexperience compared to the average. Unless we sign younger players, our playing group will start to hit the average by the end of next season.

The 43 games average per player is quite a sobering statistic when you think about it. Also our churn/rotation doesn’t look as high this year.

Linking up the two, you wouldn’t see us starting to reaching age strength until next year.

I still wonder what Madge will change and I hope we open the chequebook and go after Ciraldo as an assistant.

I don’t think the spoon is as close as suggested and I think we will more competitive than this year. Experience is a good teacher.

Last edited:

Shredder

Juniors
Do you think Ciraldo will leave the team in the GF to come to us for any money for a sideways move?

If I were him, Im see out the end of my contract then wait for a head coaches job. Hes surely next cab off the rank.

Magpies Forever

Juniors

I think that is a very good point / question- once our signings ''on potential'' actually show some good form and ability- when it comes to re-signing them on bigger $$$ and withstanding the allure of bigger / better club offers will be very difficult. Our last effort at building a team around Tedesco. Moses, Brooks & Woods floundered with raids by other clubs and a rather thin veneer of loyalty from these players that was easily shed.

Season 2022 has to have visible improvements in WT, clarity on our homeground position and just be on the front foot with so many things. If we continue to be stumbling and bumbling both onfield and off we will loose these up and comers. Why should they stay?

Last edited:
Do you think Ciraldo will leave the team in the GF to come to us for any money for a sideways move?

If I were him, Im see out the end of my contract then wait for a head coaches job. Hes surely next cab off the rank.
We could promise him “next head coach up” in a contract post Madge so his Commission is sound. All confidential but legal.

Scrotus will be coaching Penrith at least until Nate retires in 10 year or so.

Ciraldo won’t want to wait that long, nor should he.

Someone told be Matthew Head is a bit of a coaching whiz.

Last edited:
I expect some contract loyalty from our big four stef, Laurie, Lucy and Doogie because they were all dragged up from fringe world.

Stef wanted to leave Parra early to join us. His career with us has been beyond his expectation. Soo junior camp in less than a few months.

At his current hysterical rampage he will be the best forward in the game in a few years.

Laurie has gone from being a probable benchie at smug world to regular high quality first grader and cult figure across the whole game.

Lucy loves Madge and is realising his potential to be a force 10 player for 80. He was courageous speaking up for Madge.

Doogie is on slightly better than factory coin, long contract and wants to be captain.

All of them were labelled by Madge as part of our core group moving forward and I suspect upgrades now the cap situation has cleared.

The Madge “core group statement” was interesting for its omissions as much as the nominations.

I’ve been watching the game for many years, Adam Douhie is a high quality footy player and as we saw Madge’s extraordinary mucking about with him may have cost us a finals berth, because Mbye wasn’t fit for purpose in that role once Adam was back.

Hastings is a much bigger threat to Brooksy and Brooksy may find himself in a utility role or on the market if he doesn’t shape up.

Our side is always much stronger with Doogie in it and always much weaker without him.

Ive decided to take @Das Hassler s advice and tune into the gf once the actual whistle blows and forget the build up and hours and hours of boring wasteful advertising beforehand.

Its a Co-vid super spreader event beyond comprehension. Only in Qld.

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I think we will get some loyalty from these players but the degree of it remains in question. Yes, we have given them a chance but the question is have they bought into the WT story or just journeymen on the way to success. I reckon Stefano and Doueihi would be the most loyal to WT (not Maguire) and I never particularly thought of it before but geez youre right Maguire stuffed Doueihi about no end just to try to keep Brooks relevant and that still failed.

Like any coach Maguire has a shelve life at WT and will go at some stage over the next 2 years, are those players loyal to Maguire or WT? I'd be making Doueihi captain / vice captain next year.

I think we will get some loyalty from these players but the degree of it remains in question. Yes, we have given them a chance but the question is have they bought into the WT story or just journeymen on the way to success. I reckon Stefano and Doueihi would be the most loyal to WT (not Maguire) and I never particularly thought of it before but geez youre right Maguire stuffed Doueihi about no end just to try to keep Brooks relevant and that still failed.

Like any coach Maguire has a shelve life at WT and will go at some stage over the next 2 years, are those players loyal to Maguire or WT? I'd be making Doueihi captain / vice captain next year.
If Madge is sacked, it will be because of lack of growth and success and I doubt he will get a gig anywhere else in a hurry. No players to follow him except naturalised kiwis though!

The interesting thing about the review was that I thought he managed to keep his integrity and influence thanks to some very shoddy club work and the perception by management to be seen to be doing something. I thought some good may come from it and then I read Lee’s nonsense waffle interview with Chammas and realised just how bad things were.

As @stryker suggested, the review aimed at Madge had as much pr and politics about it than addressing the deeper underlying issues that is preventing player optimisation.

All of the non-Madge changes could have been effected without casting doubt on his coaching ability and undeserved public humiliation.

Now Lee and co deny he is the problem by cementing his tenure. Go figure?!

I will write more about that. Remember the buck stops with them. Not pascoe, not Harto or Madge.

I think that’s quite important in the eyes of the playing group that Madge still maintains his authority. He’s done that easily.

I would be making Douhie captain too.

We have players on their way. We have at least 3 that will go straight into the side in key positions, not including Gildart who I see as a possible utility off the bench as he adjusts to nrl conditions of footy terror!

Then at least two positions to fill with better than factory coin.

Factory Coin

According to the nrl, the average pay day for an NRL player in any club is $320k and so in my mix, and it’s an guesstimate, after my insider, we would have at least a $1m to spend on 2 players meaning we should be able to land sub marquees and well above factory.

As you know, a problem with the nrl is the skewed cashola pays for Uber elites v factory.

I want to see a high quality industrious forward and a proper utility.

So I think we can approach an unhappy contracted 2022 player and say we can offer 75% more than average.

Also, the game churns through a lot of elite players and then some of them like cheese and Munster self destruct on their own.

But no overs for a 2020 hero of verdun.

We have some great juniors coming through too which warms the heart in terms of future options.

But I made the point last night, we are about a full season of experience behind the average
nrl club.

We will catch up next year.

So I’m not buying spoon for 2022. I just can’t see it.

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
We will get the spoon next year because our players do not play with heart, we have not recruited well and those clubs around us at the bottom this year are all becoming stronger.

what is untrue?
You have not factored in the:

* sound new players recruited and opportunities so arising.
* another year of experience bringing us up to average. That additional season next year is about half of the total number of average games an nrl player plays. That’s a stat that can’t possibly be dispensed without considerable caution.
* the upwards diagonal of the core group
* sheens in command
* a massive attack on brooksy’s entitled position

All of which combine as a determined assault on our lucklustre “Jolly Rodger” games of 2021 and shameful influence of the players liberation army ( “pla”) phoning it in.

Lee was asked three times about Tim v Madge and on each occasion he refused to answer the question and deflected.

He knows if he did, he will be caught out next year.

Make no mistake, Madge will be marching to Tim’s drum and if Tim needs to be in the locker room scaring the daylights out of the pla commissars he will.

He’s was a brutal coach. He is a force to be reckoned with. Another reason why the spoon is not an option.

In my respectful submission my friend, at the minimum, there are just too many changes to base an assessment of 2022 on last season. That’s before even addressing the five key support areas.

Last edited:

Latest posts