What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2023: A Write-Off?

King-Gutho94

Coach
The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
You alright looks like you and Donald have just had a stroke

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
I don’t think our season is over just yet. I reckon we will go on a run after the bye and be in the top 8 soon. If we are in the finals we are capable of beating anyone.
Yes especially with who is still to come back into the side. We need to keep picking up wins over the next 6 weeks which looking at our draw should be very doable

going into the back end of the season with a fully fit squad and without too much catch up to do we can definitely challenge

hindy111

Post Whore
I don’t think our season is over just yet. I reckon we will go on a run after the bye and be in the top 8 soon. If we are in the finals we are capable of beating anyone.

After we lost to Canberra I thought probably cooked. Grieg,Russel,Simmonson,Hands have stepped up and so has Dylan's form. The signing of Joe adds a lot also.

I'm happily suprised. It is common but for a side to be mentally drained after a grand final thrashing followed by a world cup.

These injuries give our players a rest and other guys opportunities.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
After we lost to Canberra I thought probably cooked.
Canberra played their grand final that day. It sucks to rack up losses but each individual one was fairly close. Our form hasn't been good but I don't think it's been bad either. It looks like a quality team building into the season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But also they are playing like they've never met each other ffs. Our attack is predictable and embarassing. One out shit up the middle ffs. It's f**ken bullshit!

T.S Quint

Coach
The loss to the Titans was not good. The Canberra loss wasn't great either but at least they had been playing some decent footy up to then.
We just needed to rack up some wins to get confidence into the side, and I think we've gone some way to doing that by now. If we can win against the Dogs and Manly it should put us into an ok position to get through to the end of the season. If we don't win those two games our season isn't over but it looks a lot harder.

What really hurts is if you look at those games we could/should have won over those first few rounds. If they went the other way we could be up in the top 4 right now.

Tooooks

Bench
The RCG injury was a blessing in disguise, forcing BA to play Greig as a starter. To his credit, Emu has stepped up. He's looking fit and I heard somewhere he's been doing extra fitness work with Trent Elkin? One of our weaknesses last year was losing momentum in the middle when Junior and RCG went off. Greig can be that weapon we've needed coming off the bench. I've also been happy with Makatoa this year, and Ogden has also been pretty good. Joffa was an astute signing. Just very unlucky he played 10 minutes before getting injured.

In terms of injuries, the NRL site has Matto back in round 16, RCG back in round 17 (but based on BA's comments the other night, before then), Lane back in round 19 and hopefully Joffa just a few weeks out).

It was looking pretty grim after losses to the Titans and the Raiders. But as the boys often do, they pulled out a ripper of a performance - shockingly, against Souths - and put us in a good position coming out of the bye next week.

RD 15 - Bulldogs (with Paulo playing and hopefully RCG. Davey also due back)
RD 16 - Manly (with State of Origin players out - hopefully Matto back)
RD 17 - Dolphins (last year, Paulo backed up after every Origin game, even when there was only 1 rest day)
RD 18 - BYE

You'd hope for at least 2 wins out of that, although given how close the comp is, even the cellar dwellers can pull off upsets in any given week.

Barring any further injuries in that period, we should be at full strength when we play the Warriors at home in round 19.

Things are looking better, but getting at least two wins before the round 18 bye is critical.

lucablight

First Grade
Canberra played their grand final that day. It sucks to rack up losses but each individual one was fairly close. Our form hasn't been good but I don't think it's been bad either. It looks like a quality team building into the season.
I think it was an acceptable loss considering we were missing Moses and had to play down there. The Titans loss was bad though.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Yep it's a write off now.

Hopgood and Grieg are the only positives I can find from a season of mediocrity.

I hope the club tells Junior Paulo to retire from rep football or at a bare minimum not play for Samoa this off season.

After playing 26 NRL games, 3 origins and 6 WC matches last year he has clearly come in cooked for 2023 off the back of a massive 2022.

He needs to have a freshen up and come back to pre-season fit and firing day 1. He owes as a captain/leader after a disappointing 2023.