What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2023

Tigerm

First Grade
A question for the youngn'z....what live streaming service is the best choice for an android phone? ( if that matters at all) ,I don't have foxtell but will sign up if that's the way to go....Kayo?...keep the suggestions simple to understand ...I'm perfectly fine with drum brakes and vacuum wipers
Thanks in advance
I stream Kayo, it covers all sports, though I only watch the WT’s games, but Foxtell would give you a lot of variety on other entertainment.

Sorry, I didn’t notice it was for a phone? Who is your phone provider? Pretty sure Telstra give you the games, I also think you can buy the games from NRL to watch?

Ned Kelly

Juniors
A question for the youngn'z....what live streaming service is the best choice for an android phone? ( if that matters at all) ,I don't have foxtell but will sign up if that's the way to go....Kayo?...keep the suggestions simple to understand ...I'm perfectly fine with drum brakes and vacuum wipers
Thanks in advance
Fortunately I am old enough to have a son with Kayo subscription and I watch it through that on my lap top. Even if I had to pay for it myself I think it's pretty good value. For the time being you might be able to get a subscription and share it with two mates making it even better value.

Das Hassler

Bench
I stream Kayo, it covers all sports, though I only watch the WT’s games, but Foxtell would give you a lot of variety on other entertainment.

Sorry, I didn’t notice it was for a phone? Who is your phone provider? Pretty sure Telstra give you the games, I also think you can buy the games from NRL to watch?

Phone provider is iinett...I.only need the NRL....ok..sounds like Kayo is the go. Thanks a bunch...appreciated

Das Hassler

Bench
Fortunately I am old enough to have a son with Kayo subscription and I watch it through that on my lap top. Even if I had to pay for it myself I think it's pretty good value. For the time being you might be able to get a subscription and share it with two mates making it even better value.

Thanks Ned....appreciated

WA Tiger

Bench
Kayo ..$25 /month for viewing on 1 gadget at a time (obviously for one person) $30 for 3
I think you get a 10 day free trial?

WA Tiger

Bench
I wonder where all our Parra and Panther buddies are today?
I want to talk to the Alice and co that I really feel for them. And I know it’s not fair and whatever else they used to bleat on about without really giving a fk. And why would they..

WA Tiger

Bench
And of course my favourite Black Panther who must have thought it was still ‘22. Esp when that looked like a late try

Das Hassler

Bench
You can also put a chromecast on yourTV ...or it may already be built in. Then u can send the Kayo broadcast from your phone directly to your TV.

Thanking you for that Mr Mac.....it's an older TV but has an HTML? input and i'll look into your tip as well.....thanks again.
** After asking these questions you would NOT believe what my former "other" occupation was back in the 20th century....whilst I obviously have a dysfunctional relationship with modern consumer gadgetry I do operate a 4 slice toaster and microwave with very little trouble

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Koroisau almost didn’t make field at all in Tigers’ season opener
By Christian Nicolussi
March 9, 2023 — 7.45pm

Api Koroisau has declared himself a certain starter this week and revealed he came close to not playing in Wests Tigers’ season opener last weekend.

Much was made about the new Tigers skipper starting off the bench against the Gold Coast, with legendary No.9 Cameron Smith adamant the international rake needed to be involved in the early exchanges rather than Jake Simpkin.

But Koroisau said a calf complaint had upset his preparations leading into the Leichhardt Oval clash, and he did not take part in his first serious training session until three days before kick-off.

The Tigers return to Leichhardt on Sunday when they host Newcastle and Jackson Hastings, the former playmaker whose reception from the hill is likely to be mixed.

“I had a calf injury, I didn’t train until the Thursday before the game, and it was more about managing minutes more than anything else,” Koroisau sad.

“‘Sheensy’ [coach Tim Sheens] would have started me if he had the chance. But he didn’t have that choice on the weekend. The call [to play] was only made very late.”

Koroisau spent the back end of last season and the finals coming off the bench for Penrith, with Mitch Kenny elevated to the run-on side. Kenny even started in the grand final.

“[But] that was to get the sting out of the game, it allowed Mitch Kenny to do a lot of the dirty work for me. He’s a great defender and that was the [thought process] behind that,” Koroisau said.

One of the Tigers’ big-money off-season recruits, Koroisau said he was unsure if Sheens had long-term plans to use him as an 80-minute player.

The other unknown will be how Hastings is received when he runs out for the Knights. Tigers fans appreciated Hastings’ passion in his only year at Concord, but there were suggestions some of his relationships among the playing group were strained.

Luke Brooks was giving nothing away when asked what sort of welcome Hastings could expect at Leichhardt and said: “I don’t know, I’m not sure [about the reception]. We were fine.”

The Tigers trained at their inner-western suburban ground on Thursday afternoon, with English recruit John Bateman impossible to miss with his milky-white complexion.

Rumours that Bateman was struggling with an ankle injury and would not be available for a couple of months were quickly shot down by the playing group. The back-rower is an outside chance to play next weekend against Canterbury, but is more likely to make his debut in round four.

“He’s looking good at the moment, but he’s just come over from England, he didn’t do a pre-season with us, and he’s trying to get some ‘ks’ into the legs,” Koroisau said.

“When the high-performance staff and coaches think he’s ready, they’ll put him in. There’s no rush. It’s a long season.”

Tigerm

First Grade
Koroisau almost didn’t make field at all in Tigers’ season opener
By Christian Nicolussi
March 9, 2023 — 7.45pm

Api Koroisau has declared himself a certain starter this week and revealed he came close to not playing in Wests Tigers’ season opener last weekend.

Much was made about the new Tigers skipper starting off the bench against the Gold Coast, with legendary No.9 Cameron Smith adamant the international rake needed to be involved in the early exchanges rather than Jake Simpkin.

But Koroisau said a calf complaint had upset his preparations leading into the Leichhardt Oval clash, and he did not take part in his first serious training session until three days before kick-off.

The Tigers return to Leichhardt on Sunday when they host Newcastle and Jackson Hastings, the former playmaker whose reception from the hill is likely to be mixed.

“I had a calf injury, I didn’t train until the Thursday before the game, and it was more about managing minutes more than anything else,” Koroisau sad.

“‘Sheensy’ [coach Tim Sheens] would have started me if he had the chance. But he didn’t have that choice on the weekend. The call [to play] was only made very late.”

Koroisau spent the back end of last season and the finals coming off the bench for Penrith, with Mitch Kenny elevated to the run-on side. Kenny even started in the grand final.

“[But] that was to get the sting out of the game, it allowed Mitch Kenny to do a lot of the dirty work for me. He’s a great defender and that was the [thought process] behind that,” Koroisau said.

One of the Tigers’ big-money off-season recruits, Koroisau said he was unsure if Sheens had long-term plans to use him as an 80-minute player.

The other unknown will be how Hastings is received when he runs out for the Knights. Tigers fans appreciated Hastings’ passion in his only year at Concord, but there were suggestions some of his relationships among the playing group were strained.

Luke Brooks was giving nothing away when asked what sort of welcome Hastings could expect at Leichhardt and said: “I don’t know, I’m not sure [about the reception]. We were fine.”

The Tigers trained at their inner-western suburban ground on Thursday afternoon, with English recruit John Bateman impossible to miss with his milky-white complexion.

Rumours that Bateman was struggling with an ankle injury and would not be available for a couple of months were quickly shot down by the playing group. The back-rower is an outside chance to play next weekend against Canterbury, but is more likely to make his debut in round four.

“He’s looking good at the moment, but he’s just come over from England, he didn’t do a pre-season with us, and he’s trying to get some ‘ks’ into the legs,” Koroisau said.

“When the high-performance staff and coaches think he’s ready, they’ll put him in. There’s no rush. It’s a long season.”

That interview is on the WT's website as well.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
‘He didn’t want to play No.13’: Sheens says only one reason Hastings left Tigers
By Christian Nicolussi
March 11, 2023 — 4.05pm

A frustrated Tim Sheens says the only reason Jackson Hastings left Wests Tigers was because he did not want to wear the No.13 jersey.

Hastings returns to Leichhardt Oval with the Knights on Sunday afternoon to play against the club he left last year.

Hastings, 27, was close with sacked Tigers coach Michael Maguire. His relationship with Sheens was said to be strained the moment he ignored a club order by flying himself to the Gold Coast for a game.

Sheens insisted Hastings was never part of a “swap deal” with Newcastle’s David Klemmer, and believes his size and passing game were better suited to lock than the halves. The club also scored more points when Hastings started at lock last year.

“He didn’t want to play No.13,” Sheens said on Saturday. “He wanted to play in the halves, and they [Newcastle] offered him an opportunity. I had him planned to play with Klemmer. He was picked to play No.13 in our recruitment and [roster] plans for this year. But he wanted to be a pivot.

“That’s it, there’s nothing else to it. I am in many ways [disappointed] because he would have made a good No.13 behind the current pack I’m putting together.

“In saying that, you have to want to be there and want to play the position.”

Pressed by The Sun-Herald on falling out with Hastings over an impromptu Gold Coast trip, Sheens said: “I won’t comment on it. He was playing well at No.13 for us, that’s where I saw him, and anything else [being reported] is long gone. I’m not interested in talking about it.”

Hastings, a fan favourite – but someone who reportedly tested the patience of a few Tigers players – said before Christmas: “Whether I wasn’t wanted or wasn’t needed, it took me a few days to get over it because I was angry at the fact I wanted to be there and be a part of the solution, not the problem.

“I’ve got no hard feelings towards anyone at the Tigers. When I go back to Leichhardt in round two, hopefully I’m not booed because I really do love the club and enjoyed the year I had there.”

The Tigers will hand a debut to Balmain junior Brandon Tumeth. The 19-year-old back-rower will replace Shawn Blore (concussion). Tumeth featured in the NSW under-19s Origin clash played at Leichhardt Oval last year.

However, the availability of fellow forward John Bateman remains a hot topic, with the interest levels in him matched by Hastings’ hasty exit and whether Sheens got it wrong starting Api Koroisau on the bench during last week’s loss to the Titans.

There have been whispers Bateman is still a couple of months away and that the Englishman may require ankle surgery. But Sheens has pencilled in Bateman for round four against Melbourne, saying: “The kid is training, he has been training, but he hasn’t got the kilometres behind him yet to start, and I won’t push him until I’m comfortable he’s ready.

“He doesn’t [need ankle surgery]. He’s been sore physically from the training sessions because we’ve ramped it right up. He’s still a week or two away.

“He won’t be playing reggies [NSW Cup], don’t worry about that. He doesn’t know the plays to the degree the other boys do because he hasn’t had a pre-season. It’s not an ankle issue, it’s a fitness issue. I would think round four.”

westerntiger

Juniors
What a shit club. Rubbish coaching, players look like an absolute rabble.
How Pascoe stays in the job is beyond me