What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Row of the decade

Who makes the Second Row of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't believe you Knights clowns are complaining about a nobody like Steve Simpson being left out when the legendary Ruben Wiki has been too.

FFS Pete I can't believe you're even attempting to justify it. You messed up.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Yes, I clearly robbed Simpson and Wiki their places in the LU Forum Team of the Decade.

not your fault dude, based on most of the polls, you've only been watching the code for half the decade, so we cant expect you to get it right. :cool:

Big Pete

Referee
I didn't know Ali Lauiti'iti or Gorden Tallis played beyond 2004.

Keep trying though Raiders fans maybe one day somebody will listen to you.

Johns Magic

Referee
Ryan's been a consistent force since 2001 without stop, was one of the best second rowers in 2004 and was constantly picked before Simpson.

Andrew Ryan 2004: 26 games, averaging 25.2 tackles and 89.5 metres.

Steve Simpson 2002: 23 games, averaging 23.8 tackles and 114 metres.

Steve Simpson 2003: 17 games, averaging 28.1 tackles and 91.8 metres

Steve Simpson 2005: 20 games, averaging 35.3 tackles and 90.7 metres.
And that was in a team that came dead-last where Buderus and Simpson were carrying the team on their own backs.

Steve Simpson 2006: 22 games, averaging 35 tackles and 81.8 metres.

Simpson played every Origin game for NSW between 2002-2007 bar the 03-04 series where he was injured but still made the end-of-season Kangaroos side. He was also rushed into the 2008 NSW side for Game 2 after one return match from injury. Simpson regularly started in front of Ryan during this period, being in the starting team with Ryan either on the bench or not picked at all 7 times.

Ryan only featured in every match of the 05 and 07 series, and wasn't picked at all in 2002(when Simpson started all three games) or in 2008.

There's a reason Simpson has played more Origin matches than Ryan despite missing two series through injury, and it's not because Ryan was picked ahead of him.

The only reason Ryan is in this poll ahead of Simpson is because the Bulldogs had a good year this year and the Knights didn't.

For consistent workhorse efforts over this decade only Fitzgibbon and Hindmarsh have it over Simpson on this list.

Only Hindmarsh got more SOO caps than Simpson during the decade on this list. For NSW or Queensland.

To bag Simpson and then turn around and talk up the likes of Andrew Ryan as if he demands selection for longevity is just ignorant.

Big Pete

Referee
You do make a good argument Johns Magic and you've made some great points - good stuff.

However before you start throwing stats around how about you compare and contrast head to head each season instead of using Ryan's lone 2004 where he was regarded as one of the best backrows by Rugby League Annual magazine?

Unfortunately, the only Big League Season Reviews I have are from 2006 through to 2009 but I believe they help prove my point.

Andrew Ryan: 24 Appearances, 7 Tries, 30. 5 Tackles, 11. 3 Hit Ups, 91 Average Metres Gained, 13 Line Breaks, 13 Offloads.

Steve Simpson: 22 Appearances, 5 Tries, 35 Tackles, 9.6 Hit Ups, 82 Average Metres Gained, 5 Line Breaks, 11 Offloads.

Tackles aside, Ryan was superior in every other facet.

Andrew Ryan: 24 Appearances, 5 Tries, 30.3 Tackles, 11.5 Hit Ups, 94m, 12 Line Breaks, 12 Offloads.

Steve Simpson: 19 Appearances, 4 Tries, 32.5 Tackles, 9.9 Hit Ups, 78.5m, 6 Line Breaks, 6 Offloads.

Again, Ryan was superior.

Andrew Ryan: 24 Appearances, 4 Tries, 34.4 Tackles, 11.2 Hit Ups, 88.3m, 5 Line Breaks, 15 Offloads.

Steve Simpson: 12 Appearances, 1 Try, 26.8 Tackles, 9.5 Hit Ups, 77m, 0 Line Breaks, 6 Offloads.

Again, Ryan.

Andrew Ryan: 26 Appearances, 4 Tries, 32.1 Tackles, 11 Hit Ups, 77.7m, 7 Line Breaks, 8 Offloads.

Steve Simpson: 16 Appearances, 2 Tries, 26.3 Tackles, 8.2 Hit Ups, 65.1m, 4 Line Breaks, 3 Offloads.

Again, Ryan.

So Simpson really played in 2002, then 2005-2007, then one game in 2008 where the Blues suffered one of their worst ever defeats. You were right though, my accusation that Ryan was constantly prefered over Simpson isn't entirely correct. Only in the case of 2001, Game 1 2006 and Games 1 and 3 of 2007. I'll retract that point.

You're wrong though, aside from being a better player as demonstrated by his stats. the other factor that saw Ryan get the nod was that he lead his side to a premiership victory and has been a major part of the Bulldogs success in the naughties.

Simpson is a fine player and his name does deserve to be voiced in a thread (along with Ruben Wiki's) but unfortunately for Simpson he was just behind a few players in skill or didn't have the notoriety as the others did.

footy1

Juniors
I voted for Sonny Bill Williams and Nathan Hindmarsh. SBW is probably the most destructive player I've seen. He could things as a teenager that not even international players at the time could do. His ability to offload and create opportunities through contact and in and around the ruck is what sets him apart from anybody else IMO. Not many people who play rugby league will ever be able to do that, only a handful and he was top of the pile. Hindmarsh also gets my vote because of his longevity and for the fact that after all these years in the top grade, the development of his game didn't stop and he came back this year with a much improved attacking game complete with offloads. Not many veterans in the game, if any, continue to improve once they play NRL for almost a decade or so.

mrford61

Juniors
"Ryan lead his side to a premiership victory"

Simpson played a fair role in the 2001 victory for Newcastle, including preventing Ryan scoring a try when all he had to do was fall over. That save was every bit as defining as the legendary Sattler tackle.

BTW, I rate Ryan highly......almost as good as Simpson.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm aware of Simpsons wonderful tackle on Ryan and I almost felt like referencing it into my post but obviously my point was Ryan has been captain and a mighty fine one at that.