What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Row of the decade

Who makes the Second Row of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anjado

Juniors
Morley and Hindmarsh for me, Morley turned one of the softest forward packs in the NRL to the most feared. Hindmarsh carried Parramatta for most of the decade so deserves to be there.

Menzies was a better player in the 90's and Tallis was never the same after his neck injury. Sonny Bill and Lauititi didn't play often enough, Fitzgibbon and Ryan are two players i consider to be solid and consistent players just not as good as Hindmarsh or Morley, Willie Mason and Tony Puletua were far too inconsistant and lazy, Crocker was okay but shouldn't be in the discussion, Watmough has been very good for most of the decade but just not the best. Fletcher was pretty good but shouldn't be anywhere near the best of the decade.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Ruben Wiki deserves a nomination in this list, given some of the names up there. He's achieved more and played at the highest level for some 15 years. Most capt kiwi of all time

I wouldnt have voted for him, but i think he should have been nominated over most of that list.
I assume BK is in the lock's category, otherwise he too has been extremely hard done by without a nom

Tallis and Hindmarsh for me

Big Pete

Referee
I agree Wiki was hard done by but I thought his efforts weren't as consistent this decade (he may of been a better player in the 90's you'd have to tell me Raiders fans) and all the players up there either achieved more or were at one time or another the best second rower of the decade.

mxlegend - As well as Wiki I did put in some considerable thought into Puletua but aside from the Panthers 03/04 stretch I found it hard to justify given his team's poor performance and his lack of notoriety in the international scene.

Kennedy is definately among a host of others as a nominee for lock of the decade.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
FTR Wiki 94 games in second row this decade, 81 in front row.

Wow my Bad... I remember him as a quality centre at the raiders in the mid 90's, then moving to the back row for a fair while, but I assumed he was a front rower for the majority of his time in the 00's. Clearly I was incorrect :)

Last edited:

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Tallis and Hindmarsh.

I am one of SBW's biggest fans, but how he can be voted for ahead of some of the calibre here is beyond me. Sure he was very good, potentially an All-time great, though he didn't do it consistently enough or long enough to warrant selection ahead of some the players here.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I agree Wiki was hard done by but I thought his efforts weren't as consistent this decade (he may of been a better player in the 90's you'd have to tell me Raiders fans) and all the players up there either achieved more or were at one time or another the best second rower of the decade.

Put bluntly
you are wrong. He was a becon of consistancy and was a far better player in this decade then he was in the 90's. Which is a far wrap for a bloke who pretty awesome in the 90's.

No one, not a single person on that list has achieved more than Ruben Wiki. Premiership winner, captain of his country, most capt kiwi of all time, played NRL standard footy for some 15 years until he was mid 30's. With no disrespect to the others there, some who were definitely better players and should take the crown over him but none have done what he did, in terms of games played, except for Menzies. And he played a large part of the 90's in the second row.

Watmough, SBW, Fletcher, Ryan, Lauiti'iti... even Crocker and Fitzgibbon... Wiki achieved more then every single one of them. He deserves a nom over them

Put bluntly the exclusion of him from the list in favour of most of those named, it a pretty massive over sight, saved only for the fact the two stand out winners, who would win with or without Wiki, are leading the way in the poll

Tallis, Hindmarsh and Menzies are the only three on that list i believe are better in terms of their play and what they achieved in the game. The rest, simply can not compare with Ruben Wiki.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
nice to see both Hindy and Tallis dominate in the voting, they are far and away the best performed players in the decade.

Wow my Bad... I remember him as a quality centre at the raiders in the mid 90's, then moving to the back row for a fair while, but I assumed he was a front rower for the majority of his time on the 00's. Clearly I was incorrect :)

And that's why he's one of the best players of the past 20 years. He's been world class in 3 positions.

Big Pete

Referee
Put bluntly
you are wrong. He was a becon of consistancy and was a far better player in this decade then he was in the 90's. Which is a far wrap for a bloke who pretty awesome in the 90's.

No one, not a single person on that list has achieved more than Ruben Wiki. Premiership winner, captain of his country, most capt kiwi of all time, played NRL standard footy for some 15 years until he was mid 30's. With no disrespect to the others there, some who were definitely better players and should take the crown over him but none have done what he did, in terms of games played, except for Menzies. And he played a large part of the 90's in the second row.

Watmough, SBW, Fletcher, Ryan, Lauiti'iti... even Crocker and Fitzgibbon... Wiki achieved more then every single one of them. He deserves a nom over them

Put bluntly the exclusion of him from the list in favour of most of those named, it a pretty massive over sight, saved only for the fact the two stand out winners, who would win with or without Wiki, are leading the way in the poll

Tallis, Hindmarsh and Menzies are the only three on that list i believe are better in terms of their play and what they achieved in the game. The rest, simply can not compare with Ruben Wiki.

I'm sorry that you feel so passionately about this but unfortunately your post is warped.

Wiki did not win a premiership this decade, he did lead the Kiwi's to a succesful Tri Nations campaign but his success in the Kiwi's jersey was limited to that.

He wasn't consistent, that was his biggest hitch. At times he was an absolute monster, at most he was a quiet figure.

I will admit that given Fletcher's inclusion, he should've made it in but ultimately he was behind a host of other players and he never reached the heights skill wise as most of the others nominated.

Raider_69

Post Whore
again, you are absolutely wrong about the consistancy thing, thats not even a question of opinion, just a factual thing, his only inconsistant time was in his final year at the Warriorsm at the age of 34 or something

As i said, not a big thing given he wouldnt and shouldnt have taken out top honours anyways but he's more worthy than at least 7 people on that list.