What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second tier NRL Premiership

joshreading

Staff member
I have stated this like other ideas on rleague.com but we are starting all over again here.

We need to start a second teir national style comp below the NRL. Now what we don't want to do is kill the Qld Cup and NSW etc. but we can make these comps come together as such and benefit everyone.

Initial Year say 2005

NSW Cup, QlD Cup, PNGRL and NZRL become Conferences of the same ultimate competition.This for a start would give them more bargaining power and expertise.

The different conferences would initially play for their own Cup. (eg.Bartercard etc.) BUT then the top couple teams from each conference would come together for the Pacific Premier League (maybe Pacific Rugby league "Champions' Cup).

Pacific Rugby League Premiership

Qld Cup - Top 2
NSW Cup - Top 2
PNG Cup - Premier
NZRL Cup - Premier

They would then play a five round comp to decide who goes through to play the top teamon the ladder. Lets say 2 plays three. Then the winner plays the top. (it doesn't really matter how it happens)

As time goes by the top two out of NZ and PNG could be involved and maybe even a rep side from places like Fiji, New Caledonia etc.

What this would create is incentive for sponsors to sponsor clubs in th Qld Cup etc. because if they make the PRLP then they will get much wider coverage. They could all negotiate a TV deal together.

Clubs like Redcliffe and Easts Tigers which would like to go up a step but cannot make the NRL have somewhere to aim for. Maybe this could even become the step one day to NRL.

Teams from the NT and even Adelaide and Melbourne could be added to the different conferences and straight up we have the biggest coverage of ANY competition in this part of the world.

Potentially from Darwin to Christchurch, from Melbourne to Port Moresby.

People ask 'how could these teams afford this? Well straight up they would only be travelling potentially long distances maybe 3 or 4 times maximum. (If St Pauls in NZ can do it for School boys then so can Bartercard Teams) TV coverage would increase thus sponsorship, TV revenue, fan base etc. High quality players would be encouraged say from union to give League a go because they get the chance to play on a higher level especially in NZ.

Think about all of this. A team from Port Moreby in this comp would likely pull crowds of ten thousand plus (they pull now on average 6 thousand plus in their comp). Teams like Redcliffe could be able to pull much stronger crowds say taking on Balmain Tigers.

I would watch this on TV, the Top second Teir teams playing each other and I am sure so would alot of others.

joshreading

Staff member
DID YOU EVEN READTHE POST !!!!!! IT IS ABOUT A SECOND TEIR NRL COMP. JUST BECAUSE THERE IS A TEAM FROM NZ OR PNG DOES NOT MAKE IT INTERNATIONAL.

I GUESS ANY POST THAT MENTIONS THE WARRIORS SHOULD BE PUT IN INTERNATIONAL.

INTERNATIONAL IS ABOUT REPRESENTATIVE SIDES. AND SEPARATE COMPS.

roopy

Referee
Josh, obviuosly it was moved because the title says Pacific.

If you edit in a new title I will move the thread to where ever you want it (NRL section?)

roopy

Referee
Since Josh is not around I'll just move this to the NRL section, which is where Josh intended it to be I think.

It had the title 'Pacific RL championship' and was moved to the International section by someone else.

joshreading

Staff member
Sorry about that - just got a little cheesed when it was quickly moved.

I think this idea could help with places like CC GC etc.

bazza

Immortal
It would be good for a start if the top teams from the NSW premier league and QLD cup played off on NRL grand final day.

What do QLD fans think about that?

Mad Dogg

Juniors
That is very similar to an idea I had a while ago, although mine was straight out what you lead to when you said that the 2nd tier comp could one day become a promotion to the NRL.

lol, I got the idea when I was daydreaming what I would do if I made a couple of billion bucks. :lol:

I still don't know if it would be economically possible though.

joshreading

Staff member
I wouldn't play it against the NRL Grandfinal, maybe the week after. In time I believe such a "Grandfinal' could fill a stadium like Lang Park in Brisbane especially with the QLD Clubs histories.

Depending I might evenplayit aa verydifferent time to give itclose attention.

Razor

Coach
MR GEORGE said:
no team would want to be in second tier or player for that matter.

May I ask what you classify the QLD Cup and Premier League as now? 2nd tier competitions behind the NRL.

joshreading

Staff member
This may sound controversial to some but I would also not have any 'NRL named teams in it'. Every team would have to be aligned or even a direct seconds team but no Parra Eels in the comp. (become more like St Mary's Penrith Cougars)

Teams would take on sides like Newtown, Cabramatta etc.

This would ensure the competition keeps its own identity strong whilst keeping srength playing wise. For instance the ACT Brumbies are in Canberra but really the second Teir Union Club is the Canberra Vikings. I believe that because they have a different name, play at different places normally they get better coverage and support.

You could do it something like this

NRL - Canberra Raiders - NRL 2 ACT Senators playing out of Viking Park Tuggeranong and Seifert Oval Quenbeyan.

NRL Newcastle Knights NRL 2 Hunter Stallions

Just a thought anyway. This would ultimately enable places like Coffs Harbour/Pt Macquarie to field teams in NRL 2. (You could have the North Coast Tiger Sharks playing out of Port and Coffs feeding the Cronulla Sharks.

joshreading

Staff member
OH... maybe we could just call the comp

NRL 2

Any other ideas.

NRL 2

QLD Cup Conference
NSW Cup Conference
PNG Cup COnference
NZ Cup Conference

joshreading

Staff member
What do any Qlders or Kiwis think of this?

Do you as a Qlder or Kiwi think this would be good for your comps?

Latest posts