What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Secondreceiver to Penrith: False Alarm. Disregard

D

Deleted member 10972

Roosters offloaded players to re-sign juniors & sign for next year.

Flannery for M Aubusson

Lewis for Sa

Soward for Pearce

Plum for D Williams

Wing/Stranger for J Aubusson (it was either re-sign L'Estrange to keep Wing, or sign up someone)

Beattie for Shrek

you will also see Mellars, Tonga, Monaghan leave because we have kept Kenny-Dowall, Nuuausala & Soliola respectively.

Not sure about it but if Roberts goes, we will either extend Foley's contract, OR if Foley goes too, sign a utility back.

I would very much like us to release Harrison in order to sign a gun half, but it won't happen unfortunately.

That said, it is money for money, straight player swaps. Why would we need Petero when we already have Nutley, Shillington, Shackleton, O'Meley, Nuuausala in our squad as props, with Danny Williams, Myles, Tupou, Fitzgibbon, L Paea & M Paea all second rowers who have played at prop before too.

Choppies

Coach
Kilkenny said:
Seriously, do you honestly believe the roosters having been offloading half there playing roster to free up enough cap space to resign Danny Nutley for another 2 seasons. I think not. Petro will be a rooster in 2008.

Nutley deserves it. ;-)

Don't get me wrong I would love Petero at the Roosters and hoping to hell we get him and but that feeling is in the back of my mind that someone will come in with a bigger offer than ours. Weather it be Hull or Penrith.

Kilkenny said:
Seriously, do you honestly believe the roosters having been offloading half there playing roster to free up enough cap space to resign Danny Nutley for another 2 seasons. I think not. Petro will be a rooster in 2008.

lol you don't know sh*t, the mack says it all

Tom Ace

Bench
Jatz Crackers said:
It went from Max having the scoop of the day, to "someone else" was rumour mongering within minutes didnt it.

My advice Max, stay away from these things :

1) campfires where people tell stories
2) products that promise penis enlargements
3) wealth creation companies promising triple digit risk free returns
4) Gold Coast business people

:p

I believe it was "someone else" from the start champ.

The person who I had initially heard the information from kept changing their story, hence my information kept changing. Quite simple really.

In any case, I came on here from the start asking the question....Not pronouncing a "scoop of the day".

mxlegend99

Referee
parra_jesus said:
petero would be a great signing , but i just dont think he is worth the 400k a season he wants . no offense to the big man i think he is one of the best props going around but 400 a season is a bit steep.
If a club had the money to spare, he would be worth it for sure. Panthers are the perfect fit. We have the juniors to cover ourselves in backs. We have decent halves in Premier League, with some great ones on their way through. But we really need a high quality workhorse like Petero in our front row.

I'd be happy to see us throw $500k for him next season. There's no one else who would boost our team off contract, and Petero would definitely be the strongest player on the market, especially for what we need.

However, i know we won't get him. Because this would be a good signing. And our management don't know how to sign high quality players such as Petero.

Fibroman

First Grade
I posted something similar on another thread a couple of weeks ago. Imagine this as a 2008 panthers side:

1. Wesser 2. Daniella 3. Jennings. 4. Tyhe 5. Chevvy Pennehoe 6. Richie Williams 7. Craig Trindall 8. F. Puletua 9. P. Aiton 10. T. Puletua 11. F. Pritchard 12. J. Moors 13. Pee Wee Moke.......................Anything strange about this side???????????

Anything?????????????????????

Have a guess. And it is a very real possibility to occur.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
tell me whats strange fibroman :roll:

ftr, our junior ranks are dominated by kids of islander decent (if that is what you were inferring)

Brutus

Referee
Fibroman said:
I posted something similar on another thread a couple of weeks ago. Imagine this as a 2008 panthers side:

Pee Wee Moke.

I used to like his work in the Deltones.

Kilkenny

Coach
The Mack said:
Roosters offloaded players to re-sign juniors & sign for next year.

Flannery for M Aubusson

Lewis for Sa

Soward for Pearce

Plum for D Williams

Wing/Stranger for J Aubusson (it was either re-sign L'Estrange to keep Wing, or sign up someone)

Beattie for Shrek

you will also see Mellars, Tonga, Monaghan leave because we have kept Kenny-Dowall, Nuuausala & Soliola respectively.

Not sure about it but if Roberts goes, we will either extend Foley's contract, OR if Foley goes too, sign a utility back.

I would very much like us to release Harrison in order to sign a gun half, but it won't happen unfortunately.

That said, it is money for money, straight player swaps. Why would we need Petero when we already have Nutley, Shillington, Shackleton, O'Meley, Nuuausala in our squad as props, with Danny Williams, Myles, Tupou, Fitzgibbon, L Paea & M Paea all second rowers who have played at prop before too.

The Roosters have had two priorties and they have achieved one in O'Meley. There second objective is Petro and that is a fact. Whether you are successful will probably be known soon after SOO 3.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Panthers chase Petero
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

THE Panthers are poised to make an audacious bid for Brisbane prop Petero Civoniceva following the club's release of Craig Gower from the final two years of his contract.

The Panthers board took less than an hour to rubber-stamp the Penrith skipper's controversial move to play rugby union in France.

With an estimated $450,000 freed under the salary cap, the Panthers last night turned their attention to recruitment, with general manager Mick Leary confirming the club had set their sights on Test veteran Civoniceva.

"We will make a play at any high-profile player now,'' Leary said. "Obviously it would have to be in a position that we want and he fits that bill.''

Penrith coach Matt Elliott last night said the club would not have been better off severing ties with Gower immediately following the star No.7's decision to walk at the end of the year to link with French club Bayonne.

"It was an open discussion,'' Elliott said. "No one suggested he should leave now. Things happen and you deal with it. I was at the board meeting and what we are going to do first is finish this season on the right note.

"Obviously I am feeling bad and just want to be upbeat. I wan't for us to do well this weekend.'' Gower yesterday revealed he had a clause in his contract with Bayonne allowing him to return to the NRL if the move does not work out.

Following the dramatic week, Elliott continued to scotch suggestions that hooker Luke Priddis was on the outer following his omission from the team for the second week in a row.

But The Daily Telegraph understands Penrith are negotiating to retain rookie hooker Paul Aiton in a move which clouds Priddis's future at the Panthers. The club earlier in the year re-signed another No.9 - Keith Peters.

"It is just speculation,'' Elliott said. "It is not coming from us and wasn't talked about today.'' Elliott said Priddis had been "rested'' in a bid to overcome niggling injuries.

Mr Saab

Referee
Petero has done it all in league, but surely he wouldnt want to end his career with the low Panthers.
A halves combo of Firman and Williams. Poor bastard doesnt deserve that.

mxlegend99

Referee
Petero would complete our forward pack nicely.
Our backline is good, with lots of depth.

Our halves are very thing. But Firman would be quiet easily capable of playing better then Gower has this year, and Williams is in competition with a few other guys who are all pretty good (Sammut, Graham, Trindall, and even the new recruit, McCrone). IMO, our halves next year will be far better then this year. Gower has his jersey guaranteed. None of our halves next year will.

Once Tony Puletua, Rhys Wesser and Luke Priddis move on, we're going to have money to burn and juniors covering their spots who want it a lot more then they did.

Big Pete

Referee
Big Mick © said:
oh wah...sinking ship...wah wah.

ok lets see what happens next year and the year after.

Even you can admit, going from one of the best clubs in the competition to Penrith would be a huge step down in what Petero deserves.

Honestly though, in some way I hope you do pick him up as some kind of compensation for all the losses (on and off the field) you've had over this past year.

JW

Coach
I can live with the fact that Petero will be at the Pennies. There were certainly some far, far worse options rumoured over the past couple of weeks, lol.

Big Mick

Referee
Mr Saab said:
The panthers are in a transition period, and it will be a 2-3 yr transition

i'm not saying we are not...but for anyone to suggest we'll be down the bottom for AGES is ridiculous.

We won SG Ball, Harold Matthews and Jersey Flegg last year...a few of those players have played first grade and learning the game at this level.

We got to the grand final in both Harold Matthews and Ball again this year and are currently topping the table in Flegg as well as performing well in Premier League. So there is talent there...and it'll take maybe 1-3 years to harness it.

But we have most positions covered with good young players...but one position where we don't have TOO much talent is prop...Petero will not only inspire out young forwards, but he will teach the likes of Tim Grant...who is already a leader...to become a better leader and a better individual, both on and off the field.

Petero not only brings a great prop, he brings leadership on and off the field and an example for young forwards to follow. Brendan Hlad, Tim Grant, Sam McKendry, Alex Ranieri, John Nuumaalii, even raider 69's man Andrew Pearn will learn a great deal from Petero and become better props for it.

Latest posts