What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

jim_57

Staff member
Hahaha.

So why do people not hate JT? Won the same amount of premierships as both of them, same Origins, and many more Dally Ms/Golden Boots/positional player of the years etc.

Difference being, JT is only a slight grub but is a good person. Slater and Smith are both gigantic grubs and gigantic f**kwits.

The 'tall poppy' excuse for people who have the track record of Slater and Smith is laughable. Move on. There's a reason no one else has mentioned that factor...because it's not a factor.

I said combination of being a grub, preferential treatment and successful. I think you'll find plenty of shit has been thrown at JT on here too.

You keep telling yourselves it's nothing to do with success. Everyone who quoted me saying BS has never had anything close to the talent of Smith or Slater at their clubs recently and only a couple from NSW 10+years ago.

Success breeds hate, not a factor my arse.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I said combination of being a grub, preferential treatment and successful. I think you'll find plenty of shit has been thrown at JT on here too.

You keep telling yourselves it's nothing to do with success. Everyone who quoted me saying BS has never had anything close to the talent of Smith or Slater at their clubs recently and only a couple from NSW 10+years ago.

Success breeds hate, not a factor my arse.

I mean if they weren't successful, no one would talk about them because they would be playing over 35s club footy...so I guess you're right in that regard.

Nah, you're completely wrong. Tall poppy syndrome is often used as a cop out for piss poor behaviour by stars.

Give you the perfect example. Jack Nicklaus is the GOAT of golf, won the most majors ever. He doesn't have a single detractor because he is a perfect ambassador for the game, hardly put a foot wrong. Tiger has won 4 less majors, has detractors because of the way he lived his life. Why would it be tall poppy syndrome when the tallest poppy of all isn't being cut down? Answer: it isn't.

My club regularly beats the Storm. If I was going to be butthurt, it would be by a Manly player given they have absolutely smashed us consistently for decades, in our last GF and the 08 GF qualifier (both of those years we beat Melbourne in finals). But somehow I hate the Storm + Slater/Smith and co, but not Manly. Wonder why?

Canard

Immortal
I mean if they weren't successful, no one would talk about them because they would be playing over 35s club footy...so I guess you're right in that regard.

Nah, you're completely wrong. Tall poppy syndrome is often used as a cop out for piss poor behaviour by stars.

Give you the perfect example. Jack Nicklaus is the GOAT of golf, won the most majors ever. He doesn't have a single detractor because he is a perfect ambassador for the game, hardly put a foot wrong. Tiger has won 4 less majors, has detractors because of the way he lived his life. Why would it be tall poppy syndrome when the tallest poppy of all isn't being cut down? Answer: it isn't.

My club regularly beats the Storm. If I was going to be butthurt, it would be by a Manly player given they have absolutely smashed us consistently for decades, in our last GF and the 08 GF qualifier (both of those years we beat Melbourne in finals). But somehow I hate the Storm + Slater/Smith and co, but not Manly. Wonder why?

Now I know your trolling.

You don't hate Manly? That's too fake to believe.

YoHadrian

Juniors
I'm trying to work out if it's a pisstake that the Victorian government wants to build statues in front of the Bubbledome of Slater & Smith.

greenBV4

Bench
I'm trying to work out if it's a pisstake that the Victorian government wants to build statues in front of the Bubbledome of Slater & Smith.

People have been asking for it for months, the MCG is lined with AFL & Cricket stars, RL fans wanted RL statues around AAMI park, like them or not you can't argue the positive role Smith and Slater (and Cronk and Bellamy) have played in RL's and the Storm's growth in Victoria

People have been asking for it for months, the MCG is lined with AFL & Cricket stars, RL fans wanted RL statues around AAMI park, like them or not you can't argue the positive role Smith and Slater (and Cronk and Bellamy) have played in RL's and the Storm's growth in Victoria

I don't have a problem if they decide to put up a statute to him outside AAMI Park. As you said he has helped the growth of rugby league awareness in Victoria.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great to see the vic Govt announcing statues for two of the games greatest players. A sure sign of how well the Storm have done to become part of the Melbourne sporting fabric.

image00269.jpg

Exsilium

First Grade
Didn’t Michael Weyman get a bronze statue in Moruya? Micks a legend of the game. Seems fitting that Slater gets one, not as big but definitely did enough.

Valheru

Coach
Even then, I don't know if the crowd was booing Billy Slater, but rather the fact that he was allowed to play the game.

That is the reason he was booed.

It probably was a little over the top to continue post game but if he didn't commit that shoulder charge and then get off he wouldn't have been booed any more than any other Storm player.

We hate Smith just as much but he was only booed when announcing the teams pre-game and any time he talked to the ref. Other then that he was given respect, partcularly post game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is the reason he was booed.

It probably was a little over the top to continue post game but if he didn't commit that shoulder charge and then get off he wouldn't have been booed any more than any other Storm player.

We hate Smith just as much but he was only booed when announcing the teams pre-game and any time he talked to the ref. Other then that he was given respect, partcularly post game.

So they weren't booing him, just a decision they didn't like by the NRL? Surely would have been more appropriate to boo Todd and Beattie in that case?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The statue of Billy Slater should be of Slater sliding in studs up into another players head who already scored.

It should have a pile of salt at the bottom for all the "fans" who dont like him because A) Hes a queenslander B) He plays in Melbourne C) He was the best ever.

Latest posts