What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See you in week 3

_Johnsy

Referee
I think Dragon supporters are just trying to build up confidence in the Raiders like they are hoping Josh Dugan is reading this forum and he goes hey this dragon supporter thinks we are certainties. I wont bother training this week and then we get knocked out.

i know your plan johnsy.

Pete

No plan mate. I honestly believe that even blind freddy could see that the way teams are playing ATM the pecking order would be;
1 – Raiders
2 – Titans
3 – Roosters & Dragons
4 – Panthers & Tigers

Dazraider

Juniors
Tigers will have their near full strength squad tonight as they not going to have players out that can still walk, in big games like this they will bring out what they have and if they are winning by a good margin only then will you see them rest those players with the injuries they are carrying.
raiders need to start well out of the blocks and not let farah run the show which he is very capable of.
I know the dragon would prefer the tigers cause of injurys in the team and cant be blamed for being nervous about playing a side they have only beaten once out of last thirteen games with and without origin players.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Bad luck you lime green chokers.

p.s better look for a decent goalkicker in offseason that was the biggest choke of the year.

661528-jarrod-croker.jpg

Last edited:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Some fairly moronic assumptions there. Essentially you have NFI.

I did not expect to make the grand final in 2005. Many St.George-Illawarra supporters and non St.George-Illawarra supporters did, but not me.

I did not expect us to win the premiership in 2009, again some St.George-Illawarra supporters and non St.George-Illawarra supporters did, but not me.

I think the Raiders will win this weekend, a tip, a prediction, you know an opinion.

We (St.George Illawarra) are not playing this weekend so it has me farked how I am getting ahead of myself by commenting on who I think will win this weekend.

To summarise, think before you post, & you are an idiot.

Maybe it's time you learned.

Thanks for your prediction.

Any more, einstein?

Let me guess, we have no chance this weekend coming either? :lol:

Please write us off again. Please, please, please.

macnaz

Staff member
How the f**k are they chokers wobygong? They over acheived and got further in this comp than anyone at the start of the season would have predicted.. Hardly choking.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Raiders are without a doubt the form team of the comp, and by some margin.

Tigers with plenty of inury concerns, they will be flat after a monumental 100 minute game V Roosters. You'll get them by 12+, minimum.

Dragons V Raiders - Saturday September 25, will be a cracker of a game, can't wait.
lol good one Johnsy

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bad luck you lime green chokers.

p.s better look for a decent goalkicker in offseason that was the biggest choke of the year.

661528-jarrod-croker.jpg
Choke? hardly. And damn I'd love Croker in my side purely for his goalkicking kicking at over 85%.

No one predicted the Raiders would be close to the 8 at any point of the season.

Many wouldn't have even picked them to beat Penrith last week. They've been the massive underdogs all year.

Last night showed they are also not a one man team. Sure it would have been good if Campese hadn't got injured, but the fact the Raiders scored without him and didn't let the tigers score either shows they are a good side across the park. These young guys will be all the better for this finals series and I'm already pencilling the Raiders in for a top 8 finish next year.

Raiders fans have got no reason to feel hard done by, their players last night put in an epic performance and their side should be congratulated for what they achieved this season.

Best of luck next year Raiders

Wobbygong

First Grade
Croker..............???? not a choke. Puhleeese it was a massive choke, 30 metres out just to side of the posts lol (Biggest choke of the year). The team choke........ come on raging hot favourites at home in front of 27000 rabid raiders fans and a tigers side battered and bruised after a 100 minutes of footy the week before, come on everything was set up for them, croker and the club choked.

All we heard from cocky raiders fans last week was they were grand final bound etc etc, everyone else knew they'd stumble when it counted, I suppose at least we won't have to hear from their dopey merkin supporters for a while.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I can't remember a single Raiders supporter saying they were grand final bound. Michael Gordon cost the Panthers a match last week with his goal kicking....guess he choked.

Soward missed an easy tackle on Joe Picker when we beat the Dragons....choke
Sowards kick to give Dugan a try....choke

Any match losing play is now a choke in the joint ventures efforts in palming off the tag.

_Johnsy

Referee
season defining moment Pete, the pressure got to him, not laying the boot in it is a fact mate.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,641727,00.html
The 10 greatest chokes in the history of sport

1 Greg Norman
The Masters, Augusta, 1996

In the opening round of the 1996 Masters Greg Norman shot a course-record 63. Three days later he contrived to go round the same 18 holes at Augusta National in 15 strokes more. In the process he blew a six-shot lead - the biggest in Masters history - over Nick Faldo and converted it into a five-shot deficit. On the day Faldo was brilliant but brilliance alone would not have been enough to catch the Great White Shark had Norman not folded and run up a Great White flag.
2 Jana Novotna
Wimbledon final, 1993
Novotna led Steffi Graf 6-7 6-1 4-1 and at 40-30 in the sixth game of the deciding set had a service point for a 5-1 lead over the German. But Novotna double-faulted and arguably the greatest disintegration in a Wimbledon final had begun. Not much more than 10 minutes later Graf had won 7-6 1-6 6-4. The Duchess of Kent, trying to console the Czech player at the awards ceremony, said: 'Don't worry, Jana, you'll be back next year.' That did it for Novotna - 'I wanted to handle myself well,' she said, 'but when she smiled at me I just let go' - who wept uncontrollably on the Duchess's shoulder.
3 England penalty takers
Turin 1990, Wembley 1996, St Etienne 1998
The roll-call of shame. Step forward Stuart Pearce, Chris Waddle, Gareth Southgate, Paul Ince and David Batty. Put England up against it, a semi-final of a major competition for example. Have them play against a top team and they will excel. They will overcome deficits, tears, near-misses and red cards. After 120 minutes of thrilling football the two teams can't be separated except by a penalty shoot-out. And then it happens. Someone has to miss, fail, be cast as the goat. But why does it have to be a man with three lions on his shirt who finds the task of kicking a ball into a goal from 12 yards so bloody difficult?
4 David Bedford
Olympic 5,000m, 1972
Between the end of the Australian Ron Clarke's reign and the start of the Africans' domination, David Bedford was among the most feared track athletes over longer distances. At the 1972 Games, the Briton ran disappointingly in the 10,000m to finish sixth but had the chance to make amends in the 5,000m. He was ranked number one in the world and had recently come within a second of Clarke's world record. A naturally aggressive front runner, Bedford seemed to have the race set up for him when it settled into a slow, tactical contest. But after four laps, the point at which he was due to move ahead, Bedford, who seemed weighed down by expectation, lost heart and finished anonymously down the field.
5 Roberto Duran
World title fight, New Orleans, 1980
When they choke, most athletes prefer that no one notices, that the world sees it as a defeat unbesmirched by an inner surrender. Roberto Duran, the fearsome Panamanian boxer, usually did things differently - and in his welterweight title fight against Sugar Ray Leonard in New Orleans in 1980 he performed one of the most unashamed and conspicuous chokes of all time. Confused and exasperated by Leonard's slick movement, Duran suddenly stopped fighting in the eighth and declared, 'No mas, no mas.' He couldn't take anymore and didn't mind who knew it.
6 Doug Sanders
Open Championship, St Andrews, 1970
Doug Sanders had two putts from 30 feet to win the 1970 Open at St Andrews, edging out the mighty Jack Nicklaus in the process. Sanders left his first effort - downhill and across the green - 30 inches short. Then things went really wrong. 'I was confident standing over it, and then I saw what I thought was a little piece of sand on my line,' recalls Sanders. 'Without moving my feet, I bent down to pick it up, but it was a piece of grass. I didn't take time to move away and get reorganised. I mish*t the ball and pushed it to the right of the hole. It was the most expensive missed putt in the history of the game.' Too true. The following day he lost the 18-hole play-off to Nicklaus by a stroke.
7Jimmy White
World snooker final, Sheffield, 1994
This would surely be Jimmy White's year. The Whirlwind had lost in five world finals - including the first four of the 1990s - but now, in the tightest of showdowns against his nemesis Stephen Hendry, victory was just a few pots away. A 75 clearance by White had taken the score to 17-17 and in the deciding frame he had a straightforward black off the spot to put the championship beyond Hendry's reach. 'It was a bread-and-butter pot for someone of Jimmy's class,' said one veteran observer, 'but he missed it by so much that it could only have been a choke.'
8 Gavin Hastings
Rugby World Cup, Murrayfield, 1991
It should have been as straightforward as turning off a light switch for Scotland's Mr Reliable, Gavin Hastings. But in a World Cup semi-final against England - in front of your home crowd - a penalty from in front of the posts can unsettle even those with the iciest blood in their veins. Sure enough, Hastings sliced it and the score remained 6-6 until Rob Andrew's drop goal nicked it for England. As Hastings's kick sailed wide, the normally restrained England winger Rory Underwood let slip a four-letter expletive in surprise. That's how big a shock it was.
9 Scott Boswell
Cheltenham & Gloucester Trophy final, Lord's, 2001
Two overs costing 23 runs isn't that rare in one-day cricket but when they consist of nine wides - eight in the second over, including five on the bounce - then it is a rare feat indeed. Scott Boswell had been man of the match when Leicestershire beat Lancashire in the semi-final, so it was no surprise when he was selected ahead of Devon Malcolm for the Lord's showpiece against Somerset. But under the pressure that comes with a major final Boswell's chest-on, round-arm action disintegrated and Somerset cruised to victory. A month later Boswell was released from his contract.
10 Scott Norwood
Super Bowl XXV, Tampa, 1991 In suburban Virginia Scott Norwood sells insurance. Those of his clients who recognise his name don't think of him as an ex-All Pro kicker in the NFL, they think of a 47-yard field goal that sailed 'wide right' in the dying seconds of Super Bowl XXV. Norwood's Buffalo Bills went into the 1991 Super Bowl as seven-point favourites over the New York Giants but with eight seconds left they trailed 20-19. Norwood had the chance to win it all but his kick drifted past the right upright. Within a year he was out of the game.

Green Machine

First Grade
GM

I think being a selfish twat does not automatically qualify as a choke
Of course it is Johnsy. It’s right up there with the Dragons being up 18-6 in the 60min of the 1999 Grand Final and Wishy Wishart dropping the ball from the kick-off to let the Storm back into the game.

Now the 1999 NRL Grand Final, that was the mother of all chokes,

Green Machine

First Grade
You’re right, you don’t know. St Choke Illawarra blowing a 18-6 lead in a Grand Final is a choke of gigantic proportions compared to Crocker’s miss penalty goal attempt,

Firey_Dragon

Coach
You’re right, you don’t know. St Choke Illawarra blowing a 18-6 lead in a Grand Final is a choke of gigantic proportions compared to Crocker’s miss penalty goal attempt,

They were both chokes, but I felt sorry for Croker he seems like a good kid and he was absolutely shattered when he missed. He'll be better for it in the years to come though.

Latest posts