What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seibold

Haffa

Is it any surprise after how Wayne has left every club he has been involved with. Apart from the Raiders in 87
I think it says something about the calibre of women available in Canberra. Old Big Head was able to leave little head at home.

Haffa

That they re-signed him for four more years in 2017 is as much on management as it is on Bennett, he was 30 at the time FFS. How many fullbacks are still playing at 33/34.
What kind of market would have existed for him at the time too? He was never likely to leave they were always negotiating from a position of power. You could defend 2 with a player option for 3 but 4 is insane.

Spot On

Coach
Shane Richardson is in charge of Souths recruitment and retention and has an ego arguably bigger than Bennett's. To be fair to Richo he's made some very smart decisions recently - not getting into a bidding war over Crichton, managing the salary cap effect of GI's retirement, identifying and signing up Cameron Murray early, etc.

We're not Doust's Dragons or Tinkler's Knights - the board won't let the club get into a dire position cap-wise.

Maybe. Souths have a 750K winger on the books.

What are the good players on??

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane paid the price for having so many players off-contract heading into a television rights year. That situation stalled a lot of negotiations and Brisbane weren't able to make the right moves going forward.

Whether Cronulla were honest in Jack's health assessment is irrelevant, at the end of the day, Brisbane made a big investment without doing their due diligence.

Injuries have only exacerbated the issue. As Boyd's deal was being finalised he did his hamstring against North Queensland and it's hindered his game significantly. Similarly, McCullough who was playing career best footy did his ACL against Parramatta a few matches prior and he hasn't been the same player since. The deals they signed on were already generous, but the injuries only made things worse for Brisbane.

Seibold's arrival at the club was handled extremely poorly by every party involved and it's led to a bitter fall-out. Seibold went in with the intention of giving this playing group a chance to adapt to his structures and those who have buckled have been shown the door. There is little in the way of depth at the club, so Seibold has looked towards the younger players who may not be ready now, but in 2-3 years time will be the future of the club. There's also some players he's stuck by who have been a part of the Broncos system for awhile and are at that stage where they'll either sink or swim and the club needs to know whether they're worth the investment.

Initial signs haven't been positive. Seibold has opted to tear strips off the player roster, releasing eight players from the Top 30 but he's yet to find any worthwhile replacements. Brisbane have also lost a couple of genuine prospects in their junior development program in Sam Walker, Jake Simpkin and Tanah Boyd. In the case of Walker and Boyd it was understandable given that Dearden is being suited up as the future halfback of the club, but Simpkin's loss is very puzzling. He's one of the best dummy halves coming through the grades and Brisbane have allowed him to walk to Wests. Even if he doesn't become a star there, the fact Brisbane weren't able to keep him sends danger signs.

While Souths didn't require many changes, Seibold's recruitment management left something to be desired. The side lost one of the best edge forwards of 2018 and he didn't replace him with anyone of considerable note. His biggest profile signing was Souths Logan Magpies fullback Corey Allan who has been very disappointing thus far for the Rabbits. Considering what's required at the Broncos, it's a concern that Seibold has done little to demonstrate his capacity to put together a quality roster.

It isn't all bad news for the Broncos. Players like Payne Haas, David Fifita and Tom Flegler have shown their class for the club and there's still some genuine prospects coming through the grades. Broncos management will just be hoping that Seibold can turn things around in 2020, because the fans won't stand for another season like this.

Spot On

Coach
Almost forgot about Wayno signing Jack Bird... another example of how to ruin your cap.

It was nice of him to gazump us and save the Knights more long term pain.

AJB1102

First Grade
Whether Cronulla were honest in Jack's health assessment is irrelevant, at the end of the day, Brisbane made a big investment without doing their due diligence.

Jack got cleared to play PM's 13 so I think that was a beat up.

Big Pete

Referee
Jack got cleared to play PM's 13 so I think that was a beat up.

I don't think being cleared for an exhibition game necessarily means he didn't require a shoulder reco at some point, but that wasn't what I was getting at.

AJB1102

First Grade
I don't think being cleared for an exhibition game necessarily means he didn't require a shoulder reco at some point, but that wasn't what I was getting at.

Nah I get it wasn't your point just obviously he thought he was good and so did PM13 medicos.

parra_jesus

Juniors
bennetts methods are prehistoric. he gets some results but they're not going win a premiership going forward. even tallis will tell you the bronocs won premierships because of the players, not because of Wayne

Ofcourse tallis would say that! He hates bennett with a passion lol!! Dont take much of what tallis says seriously.

kbw

Bench
Ofcourse tallis would say that! He hates bennett with a passion lol!! Dont take much of what tallis says seriously.

He would also say that with respect to the players because they did the work he didn't do, the lazy dick.
Tallis was very lucky to play with some hard workers because that is something he wasn't

some11

Referee
Almost forgot about Wayno signing Jack Bird... another example of how to ruin your cap.

It was nice of him to gazump us and save the Knights more long term pain.
Originally he wanted Cody Walker, well he's coaching him now so he got his man I guess.

parra_jesus

Juniors
He would also say that with respect to the players because they did the work he didn't do, the lazy dick.
Tallis was very lucky to play with some hard workers because that is something he wasn't

Can't argue with that, in his day he was a damaging ball runner with aggression unmatched. But his peak was only a 5 year run. From 97-2002. To be fair on the bloke his neck injury was the reason for this. He was slowing down big time, on massive money and Bennett made the tough call to tap him on the shoulder and tell him man to man that he was basically done. Tallis has been butt hurt ever since.

kbw

Bench
Can't argue with that, in his day he was a damaging ball runner with aggression unmatched. But his peak was only a 5 year run. From 97-2002. To be fair on the bloke his neck injury was the reason for this. He was slowing down big time, on massive money and Bennett made the tough call to tap him on the shoulder and tell him man to man that he was basically done. Tallis has been butt hurt ever since.

that was his job run out terrorise tired and smaller players. Belt someone when they were not looking. I doubt he every made more than 20 tackles in a game or played more than 50 mins (SOO was the exception)

Latest posts