What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selectors Considering Hussey & Watson

aussies1st

Staff member
fish eel said:
Martyn seems to be dodging the critics.

Hayden has scored more runs than him this series.

That says it all. Why isn't he on the chopping block as much as Hayden is?

Stuart

Juniors
fish eel said:
Just as an aside to this:
Watson is currently 91* for Hampshire against an attack containing south africa's ntini.
Now he is 177 not out. Who knows this could be the catalyst the selectors need to warrant to gambling on him.

Stuart

Juniors
aussies1st said:
That says it all. Why isn't he on the chopping block as much as Hayden is?
Martyn has been good over the last year, Hayden has been poor ie Haydens form slump has been much longer

Timbo

Staff member
Martyn has been robbed on more than one occasion this series by poor calls. Hayden has not.

However, I think they should both make way.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Timbo said:
Martyn has been robbed on more than one occasion this series by poor calls. Hayden has not.

However, I think they should both make way.

Yeah but martyn ran the captain out! That won't sit well with Ricky!

aussies1st

Staff member
I agree Martyn has been robbed but why drop an inform batsmen in Clarke for a guy who is doing who knows what.
Watson has also scored a double ton but we all know his batting isn't his problem.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watson is not a test player right now, neither is Andrew Symonds, Matthew Hayden, Jason Gillespie or Damien Martyn.

Hayden, imo, hasn't been in form for a good 14 months now. Australia should have played 2 spinners in the last 2 tests. I'd like to have a longer bowling line up too. I believe half the Aussies batting problems is complacency. The batting line up is so long, that one batsmen will get and looks to have the impression of "oh well, theres so and so to come now, we'll be ok"

We need to kill that mindset, and the best way to do it is by making them realise that their wicket is extremely valuable.

So we remove a batsmen and add a bowler, Put some proper pressure on the batsmen, make them determined to stay in and perform.

I'd like to see this squad take on England in the last test. Unfortunately I feel I have to include Martyn, he's not really had much chance to shine due to some pathetic decisions handed down to him in the series thus far. He's the only one i'd be willing to give an extra chance to.

Langer
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Martyn
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
MacGill
McGrath
Tait

3 quicks, 2 spinners, we finally have options in the bowling, and the shortened batting line up may see the batsmen concentrate harder on retaining their wickets. Hayden and Gilchrist have been getting out a lot playing dumb shots. Katich as well, has played at a lot of balls that he should have left, and they have consequently got him out as well.

JJ

Immortal
aussies1st said:
I agree Martyn has been robbed but why drop an inform batsmen in Clarke for a guy who is doing who knows what.
Watson has also scored a double ton but we all know his batting isn't his problem.

lol - obviously if Clarke's "in form" (averaging 38 with no centuries) - the Australian criteria for being "in form" has dropped substantially!!! :)

Ponting, Katich and Langer are all averaging more than 30 too, so they're "in form" as well?

But Hayden, Martyn and Gilly are averaging 21 or 22 - so they're not???

LMFAO

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
watson just got a double century yesterday. That will really give him a look in.

I wouldnt put him in the side. For simple reason he may offer us a 5th bowling option, but its not a good one. You saw it in the ODIs , he just had no answer, they just gave it to him and will continue to in the tests.

So really the only thing he should be picked on is his batting, and no hes not even in Australias top 15 batters

MacGill and Hussey should play. Hayden is one who can make way, can't decide on the other. Congrats to Watson on his double ton, but I just think it's to reactive to give him the nod based on just that.

aussies1st

Staff member
JJ said:
lol - obviously if Clarke's "in form" (averaging 38 with no centuries) - the Australian criteria for being "in form" has dropped substantially!!! :)

Ponting, Katich and Langer are all averaging more than 30 too, so they're "in form" as well?

But Hayden, Martyn and Gilly are averaging 21 or 22 - so they're not???

LMFAO

Well Clarke's inform relative to Martyn.

Earl

Coach
I'm not sure if its already been mentioned but Shane Watson scored 203* last night.

JJ

Immortal
aussies1st said:
Well Clarke's inform relative to Martyn.

a number of Martyn's dismissals have been "unlucky" whereas a number of Clarke's have been "irresponsible"

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Earl said:
I'm not sure if its already been mentioned but Shane Watson scored 203* last night.
hooray f**k, he still isnt a test player

lockyno1

Post Whore
JJ said:
a number of Martyn's dismissals have been "unlucky" whereas a number of Clarke's have been "irresponsible"

Oh please! Unlucky or whatever, you can't get out if you hit the ball in the middle of the bat mate! Clarke has done well and scored 3 half-centuries! Martyn needs to go!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't, however you brought it up, thus insinuating that you think he would be worthy of selection.

Latest posts