What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi-Final 2: Broncos vs Knights *SPOILERS*

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:crazy:

Jono, Warriors/Raiders a couple of years back went to GP didn't it?

1hr 40m til kickoff.

dragondad

First Grade
As much as everyone tips the Broncos ... I seriously can't see Newcastle losing .. Johns to have a blinder.

pantherz9103

First Grade
I really don't know who's going to win. I've tipped Broncos by 6 but I honestly don't know whether the Broncos are going to turn up and produce what they are capable of, what they showed in the four weeks prior to the finals.

The Broncos should be able to win with all of the Knights injuries but the Broncos have Shane Perry and Newcastle have Andrew Johns, which when you break it down to that makes me seriously consider changing my tip to the Knights!

I know there's alot more to it than that but I ask myself can a team with Shane Perry beat a team with Andrew Johns in it. Its like a really luke warm light beer up against some of the finest German Beer served in the halls of Munich.

fdc900373.jpg

VS

114353.jpg

That's how I see the comparison!

salivor

First Grade
Watch the match tonight and count how many times Perry gets into first reciever compared to Lockyer, I'd be willing to bet that Lockyer will be there more. Lockyer v Johns would have been a better comparrison and not so overwhelmingly in favour of Joey.

pantherz9103

First Grade
salivor said:
Watch the match tonight and count how many times Perry gets into first reciever compared to Lockyer, I'd be willing to bet that Lockyer will be there more. Lockyer v Johns would have been a better comparrison and not so overwhelmingly in favour of Joey.

Yeah I know that is the matchup everyone will be focusing on even though they don't play the same positions they are the main men for their teams.

I just really doubt that the Broncos can win the premiership with Lockyer having to do so much of the work. Perry offers nothing in finals footy. He's not always terrible its just he's never very good either. I know that stats don't mean alot to some but I can't remember a team winning a premiership in the modern era with a stop gap halfback. Certainly not a stop gap half as ordinary as Perry. Hunt to No 7 :arrow:

P.S. While I don't want you to win the comp, I feel sorry for the people I know that go for the Broncos having to endure Perry.

Bicey_18

Bench
Thing also in Newcastle's favour is the 5th tackle options they have...

Lockyer Vs Johns and Mullen

Odds are that Lockyer is the go 2 man for Brissie... where as with newy if its not Johns.. its Mullen who has a great kicking game also

It will come down to the forwards no doubt... if Newcastle get on top there they will have enough strike power to win... Lockyer will bomb the crap outta kidley, which may be our demise ....

I remember the last game at EAS where late in the game, Newcastle used their lil men eg Brown to put steps on Petero and go thru... a weakness perhaps..

Head says Broncos.. Heart says Knights... Ill go with the heart and say Knights by 1 with a late Mullen FG

salivor

First Grade
There's nothing there that I don't agree with or haven't said myself over the last couple of years. Lockyer is effectively playing as the Broncos halfback though, whether or not that is good for his style and the Broncos chances, no IMO.

Perry doesn't need be fantastic but he deserately needs to get his kicking game right tonight as he was woeful against the Dragons and needs to run to the line with more conviction otherwise the pressure will go on Lockyer to do everything once again.

*Paul*

Juniors
Normally I'd be going for Newcastle, but poor old Brisbane and their 7 losses, I almost feel sorry for them.

Have to wait 'til the game is in progress to see who I'm supporting.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Yeah I almost feel sorry for the Broncos if they bow out tonight. Equal best team in the comp on paper but games aren't won on the old woodchip.

keeney

First Grade
It's a shame we had to meet, would have liked both teams to get further. I like the Broncos alot, always struck me as a simple no nonsense, well grounded club. Much like Webcke. I have a feeling without Simpson and Buderus that they may well have our measure despite their deficiencies, I hope I'm wrong, but the form they were in prior to last week was pretty special stuff.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Hunt has been given a roaming commision. I hope that means he plays everywhere in attack but the actual wing.