What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi Radradra: The Crystal Ball Thread

Will Semi be back or is he gone for good ? What's your prediction ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bandwagon

Staff member
And the fact that he would only cop an 8% (or so) tax rate over there (their, they're, thare for some of you lot).

Yeah, but given he's an Australian citizen / resident and/or Fijian? He'd likely still have a tax obligation either here or in Fiji. I would suspect.

Edit

Though that would only likely present a problem upon return.

Yeah, but given he's an Australian citizen / resident and/or Fijian? He'd likely still have a tax obligation either here or in Fiji. I would suspect.

Edit

Though that would only likely present a problem upon return.

We have a reciprocal tax agreement with France.

what is the agreement?

In general, you avoid being taxed twice on income. If you pay the applicable rate in the country in which the income is earned (France), you don't get taxed again in Australia. There are exceptions. And the French may eventually raise his tax rate to 15% (the regular income tax rates in France are higher, but they have special conditions for non-resident sportspeople and artists etc). But however it works out, it's a lot less than he'd pay here.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
In general, you avoid being taxed twice on income. If you pay the applicable rate in the country in which the income is earned (France), you don't get taxed again in Australia. There are exceptions. And the French may eventually raise his tax rate to 15% (the regular income tax rates in France are higher, but they have special conditions for non-resident sportspeople and artists etc). But however it works out, it's a lot less than he'd pay here.
9fca8800-4370-4bf3-a788-b44cbbbb5596_screenshot.jpg

Which would allow for the tax paid to be claimed against the tax owed no?

In general, no. If you pay income tax in a country with which Australia has such a tax treaty, you don't get taxed here. And vice versa. Because of the extraordinary conditions under which he is taxed in France, there may be some adjustment here (but I'm not aware that there is).

And of course, it is a lot more likely that a French rugby club will be able to pay part of his 'salary' via offshore companies in convenient locations (this is actually part of the French govt's motivations for the low tax rate....they figure they may as well collect something).

Bandwagon

Staff member
In general, no. If you pay income tax in a country with which Australia has such a tax treaty, you don't get taxed here. And vice versa. Because of the extraordinary conditions under which he is taxed in France, there may be some adjustment here (but I'm not aware that there is).

And of course, it is a lot more likely that a French rugby club will be able to pay part of his 'salary' via offshore companies in convenient locations (this is actually part of the French govt's motivations for the low tax rate....they figure they may as well collect something).

Cool.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Tbh I reckon that's a bit harsh, I don't know what we were paying him but I think we can be very certain the french offer was a shit ton more, you'd have to be f**king crazy as a sportsperson with a very limited career length not to take the kinda coin that could literally set you up for life.

I have no issues with players chasing money or Semi taking the big offer.

What I meant after all the stories / rumours (where there is smoke there is fire) about semi refusing to play because he wanted more money or apparently trying to break his eels contract to leave or running away to Fiji and the club not knowing what was happening, it appeared there was no real loyalty there and his whole career wouId be about making as much money as possible no matter what.

Interestingly we don’t hear many stories of him being home sick in French rugby.

T-Boon

Coach
What I meant after all the stories / rumours (where there is smoke there is fire) about semi refusing to play because he wanted more money or apparently trying to break his eels contract to leave or running away to Fiji and the club not knowing what was happening, it appeared there was no real loyalty there and his whole career wouId be about making as much money as possible no matter what.

That is where I think we screwed it. We held him to a lousy contract his manager arranged which was obvious to everyone within months way under what he was worth. What I would have done is upgraded the contract as soon as everyone realised how good he was. Instead what we did was take advantage of having him cheap.

Gronk

Staff member
That is where I think we screwed it. We held him to a lousy contract his manager arranged which was obvious to everyone within months way under what he was worth. What I would have done is upgraded the contract as soon as everyone realised how good he was. Instead what we did was take advantage of having him cheap.

Actually I think you will find that his contract was upgraded a few times.

Anyway, it’s water under the bridge. We are Clint Newton and Semi is Jen Hawkins. Damn.

images
images

T-Boon

Coach
Actually I think you will find that his contract was upgraded a few times.

Anyway, it’s water under the bridge. We are Clint Newton and Semi is Jen Hawkins. Damn.

images
images

I dont know who the girl on the left is. She is going in the bank, but it is not JHawk.

Latest posts