What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Send off dead?

Perce

Juniors
Personally i don't think Chambers should of been binned. He didnt deliberately hold the player down for an extended time, he actually let go of the player fairly quickly, but because of the attacking player flopping about and dropping the ball the ref gave one of those 50/50 penalties. Chambers may have accidentally given away a penalty, but i don't think he deliberately gave away a penalty (which is what a professional foul is. It has nothing to do with try scoring chances). I've seen a few times that players give away penalties while defending their try line, they'll essentially lay on an Opponent, with no effort to move, until a penalty is given. Now because their isn't a try scoring chances obvious they don't go to the bin, but they should as giving away a deliberate penalty is exactly what the professional foul sin bin is for.

Got it in one Diego. As a Storm supporter, obviously I didn't want to see Chambers binned - but have rewatched it a few times now and if he stays in the tackle too long its a matter of a microsecond - not the sort of blatant thing a lot of players (including, yeah, a lot of Storm players) do after a downfield break. So the one time they decide to use the bin, they pick the wrong incident...

kdalymc

Bench
It was a blatant trip but correct me if I am wrong, I don?t remember Reynolds getting sent for any of his 3 trips.

As for sin bin, they can?t sin bin him there because he was onside thus not a professional foul, just foul play.

It blows my mind when people still think this

Valheru

Coach
An intentional breach of play is the professional foul - which is why holding down after a break is also cause for a sin bin.

The fact is there was no chance he would be put in the bin because Chambers was sent to it in the first half. The referees are scared to do it once, let alone multiple times in a game.

Not sure if that is the case. There are plenty of times when players intentionally strip, block players etc. and it is never sin binned

Anyways, I agree it should be used more often. I think if you had a system where once the opposition scores a try, the player can come back on, it would be used more often.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Not sure if that is the case. There are plenty of times when players intentionally strip, block players etc. and it is never sin binned

Anyways, I agree it should be used more often. I think if you had a system where once the opposition scores a try, the player can come back on, it would be used more often.

id be in favour of that, like the bin in ice hocky. i still think make the bin 5 mins for minor fouls, 10 for more serious. id also like to see acts of foul play such as trips and swinging arms (tapau) sent for at least 5 if not 10. there's no benefit to the team who has a player attacked otherwise

Glen

Bench
Grade f**king 1. What does one have to do to get a higher grade tripping charge?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
People using the union arguement have a point to a degree.
However the team down a player wont be as disadvantaged as a league side.
More defenders on the,field a much slower sport so less fatigue and hardly any attacking play.
Hell there would only about 15 total tackles made in the,10 minutes.

txta2

Bench
Using the bin more would open up games more instead of changing the rules. Starting to get sick of these low scoring games especially when blatant penalties are killing attacking raids.

People using the union arguement have a point to a degree.
However the team down a player wont be as disadvantaged as a league side.
More defenders on the,field a much slower sport so less fatigue and hardly any attacking play.
Hell there would only about 15 total tackles made in the,10 minutes.

I would say that is incorrect , sin bins in union tend to lead to points pretty quickly especially if its a forward

steggz

Juniors
These points u speak of are the tries or penalty goals/field goals?

Regularly tries. Especially from scrums or lineouts into rolling mauls if a forward is in the bin. Even with two extra players out there, losing one brings out more gaps

Parra

Referee
And who cares? The team will decide the tactics based on the situation at the time. Point is it is a good disincentive for professional fouls.

Latest posts