What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Send off dead?

Perce

Juniors
Chambers sin binning was a crock. Watch the replay - nothing there to merit a sinbinning. Koro however...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yes, that should have been a send off today but it probably wasn't what you'd call obvious enough.

But the initial question is dumb, players will be sent off this year. Hell, there were several binnings this weekend weren't there?

thorson1987

Coach
Yes, that should have been a send off today but it probably wasn't what you'd call obvious enough.

But the initial question is dumb, players will be sent off this year. Hell, there were several binnings this weekend weren't there?

Haha not obvious enough. It was a blatant trip, not even one of those sneaky put your hands out to make it look like an accident trip.

And sin bins are not the same as send offs.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Chambers sin binning was a crock. Watch the replay - nothing there to merit a sinbinning. Koro however...

Except, you know, hold the player down after the tackle was completed so his teammates could get into the defensive line.

Kiwi

First Grade
Refs won't sin bin blatant professional fouls, what makes anyone think they will send someone off?

Kiwi

First Grade

Couple of token binnings, the refs ignore professional fouls all the time. Players know that refs are very very reluctant to bin a player, hence they hold down to give away the penalty instead of the try. Cowboy's on Friday night were the perfect example, at the very least they should have had one player banned.

It cracks me up how trips were automatic send-offs back in the day, but stiff-arms, flying elbows and spear tackles were all good.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i read an interview with Archer earlier this year where he got asked about the 5 minute bin, and he said it needed to stay at 10 because 5 wasnt a "deterrent". given the refs rarely send anyone off for 10, i'd say the 10 min bin is a deterrent to the refs who dont want to be criticised.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
You claimed the sin bin was dead.

The fact it happened tonight proved you are wrong.

IBM is a moron, but to be fair, one or two binnings across a weekend littered with professional fouls and repeated ruck infringements doesn't indicate the sin-bin is anything other than flat-lining.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
It was a blatant trip but correct me if I am wrong, I don’t remember Reynolds getting sent for any of his 3 trips.

As for sin bin, they can’t sin bin him there because he was onside thus not a professional foul, just foul play.

forward pass

Coach
Refs are too scared to send off players because of the imbalance it immediately creates in the game. They will cop a hiding if the side that is a player down loses a game and it the send off is deemed incorrect.

The easy solution is that sent off players can be replaced after 10 minutes - counts as an interchange. Won't be such a big decision then.

Frailty

First Grade
It was a blatant trip but correct me if I am wrong, I don?t remember Reynolds getting sent for any of his 3 trips.

As for sin bin, they can?t sin bin him there because he was onside thus not a professional foul, just foul play.

An intentional breach of play is the professional foul - which is why holding down after a break is also cause for a sin bin.

The fact is there was no chance he would be put in the bin because Chambers was sent to it in the first half. The referees are scared to do it once, let alone multiple times in a game.

People would respect the refs if they just reffed the rules.

Some of the pedantic shit they blow penalties for is sad and then the stuff - Koro's trip - are gutlessly left for someone else to decide on.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Personally i don't think Chambers should of been binned. He didnt deliberately hold the player down for an extended time, he actually let go of the player fairly quickly, but because of the attacking player flopping about and dropping the ball the ref gave one of those 50/50 penalties. Chambers may have accidentally given away a penalty, but i don't think he deliberately gave away a penalty (which is what a professional foul is. It has nothing to do with try scoring chances). I've seen a few times that players give away penalties while defending their try line, they'll essentially lay on an Opponent, with no effort to move, until a penalty is given. Now because their isn't a try scoring chances obvious they don't go to the bin, but they should as giving away a deliberate penalty is exactly what the professional foul sin bin is for.

Latest posts