What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serious Question: Is the NRL rigged/corrupt?

DJDL

First Grade
How many have been penalised for this? WK and Jesse (?) any from other teams?
A crock of a rule

I saw one earlier in the year for another team.
Don't remember which, but I remember at the time thinking "finally someone else has been done for it".

shadowboxer

First Grade
You win a game and all this talk goes away, till the next game when we invariably lose. Majority of that is on us atm to be honest.
The game is a farce, bigger and better rubbish than it was 20, 10 & 5 years ago.

DJDL

First Grade
It comes down to the referees ego imo.

They all have little man syndrome and subconsciously hold a grudge against players and teams.

This is something I've noticed with Chris Butler.
He's got that look of disdain towards them all - "off with ye, peasants".
Can't stand him.

I don’t watch union but the way the players interact with the officials is completely different, there is zero player to referee communication. Its old school respect or your in the bin.
Makes the players just get on with it and the referee not being manipulated.

The NRL definitely has a long way to go in this regard.
There is way too much tolerance of every player getting in the ref's face and arguing over decisions.
It should be the captain and the captain only.
Anyone else speaks up and I march you 10.

I don't think the NRL has the backbone to handle the backlash for that though.

MilkShark

First Grade
I don't think it is any of that, I do think fans can view that the game day can be manipulated too easy.
The main way they have done this is the new 6 again rule that was introduced in the mid season of the covid-related season of 2020.

How many times have you asked yourself "what was that for?"
But the game has rolled on and there is never a question about it.
I honestly feel that rule has made it very hard for fans to digest that "honesty has prevailed"

I am not a fan of the new 6 again rule
The 6 again rule has made it too easy for referees / NRL to dictate match results. No questions are asked, or reasons given, for 6 agains.

The 6 again rule has made it too easy for referees / NRL to dictate match results. No questions are asked, or reasons given, for 6 agains.
It is very easy for ref to do that, the 6 again prime example.
Example 1 on a scrum give team.6 again on 1st
The other team on 5th.
The stats at end of game say 1 each.

Remember the old day you would get pinged first half out of game you down by 20, you get 5 penalties in a row end of game the count was like 7-6.

And that would happen so often

Once you have gambling in sport it is open for corruption, cheating, bias whatever you want to call it. It’s the floored thing called human nature and it only takes one bad egg.

I am also convinced some refs have teams they just dislike and teams they favour. Again it’s that floored thing called human nature. You will also get refs who want the favourite to win in the match because that is less controversial thing to happen and there’s less discrepancies in the end result.

Also don’t just look at the penalty count or six again count. Take note what tackle he has pulled the infringement. The penalty or 6 again blown on the 4th or 5th tackle are killers and the ones blown on the 1st or 2nd don’t hurt as much. And then look at when the penalty count can change around garbage time. You could be getting hammered 10-3 in the count or something like that and the game is well and truly done and then you suddenly get some garbage time penalties and it finishes 10-8 so it’s harder to say the ref had a bearing on the game. Also take note of the decisions that go to the bunker that are 50/50 and they all go to one team. Especially the ones where the commentators are baffled with the crap that the video ref is saying. Remembering that the commentators are instructed to not be to controversial about refereeing decisions.

Quigs

Immortal
Once you have gambling in sport it is open for corruption, cheating, bias whatever you want to call it. It’s the floored thing called human nature and it only takes one bad egg.

I am also convinced some refs have teams they just dislike and teams they favour. Again it’s that floored thing called human nature. You will also get refs who want the favourite to win in the match because that is less controversial thing to happen and there’s less discrepancies in the end result.

Also don’t just look at the penalty count or six again count. Take note what tackle he has pulled the infringement. The penalty or 6 again blown on the 4th or 5th tackle are killers and the ones blown on the 1st or 2nd don’t hurt as much. And then look at when the penalty count can change around garbage time. You could be getting hammered 10-3 in the count or something like that and the game is well and truly done and then you suddenly get some garbage time penalties and it finishes 10-8 so it’s harder to say the ref had a bearing on the game. Also take note of the decisions that go to the bunker that are 50/50 and they all go to one team. Especially the ones where the commentators are baffled with the crap that the video ref is saying. Remembering that the commentators are instructed to not be to controversial about refereeing decisions.
Once you have ( far can huge dollars into the billions ) gambling in sport it is open for corruption, cheating, bias whatever you want to call it. It’s the floored thing called human nature and it only takes one bad egg.

Always follow the money a wise man once said. See where it leads you;

carinashark

First Grade
I’m more interested in what we are doing to bridge the gap between us ,Storm and Panthers.
We have removed a bit of dead wood, and bought AFB,but where is our Penhauzen, Munster, Cleary. It seemed to me we get to a certain level and plateau. We finished 4th this year a very good result for what we have . I equate us with Manly and Newcastle players like DCE , TURBO and Ponga that are keeping them from the botton 4.Are we looking for juniors To make the lift? What is stopping us from getting these guys?
Dont tell me it’s money or I’m done. First up move Nicho to FB and find a tough 5/8.

Big Bloke

Juniors
I’m more interested in what we are doing to bridge the gap between us ,Storm and Panthers.
We have removed a bit of dead wood, and bought AFB,but where is our Penhauzen, Munster, Cleary. It seemed to me we get to a certain level and plateau. We finished 4th this year a very good result for what we have . I equate us with Manly and Newcastle players like DCE , TURBO and Ponga that are keeping them from the botton 4.Are we looking for juniors To make the lift? What is stopping us from getting these guys?
Dont tell me it’s money or I’m done. First up move Nicho to FB and find a tough 5/8.
Why people insist on this Nicho to FB thing does my head in. Yes he did it for Storm 4 years ago with players that made it easy for him.

Unfortunately, his legs are now just not up to it.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Why people insist on this Nicho to FB thing does my head in. Yes he did it for Storm 4 years ago with players that made it easy for him.

Unfortunately, his legs are now just not up to it.
I cringe every time I see it. He'd be the slowest fullback in the comp.

PJ

First Grade

Before @Frenzy gets to it, flawed.

shadowboxer

First Grade
I cringe every time I see it. He'd be the slowest fullback in the comp.
Play him somewhere, anywhere …. Just not a 6 or 7, we are doomed…
Like last week, one way or the other, I’ll be glad when Saturday morning comes.
There has to be a morning after