What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serious question re 2 referees on field this year

playdaball

Bench
As there are going to be two Referees on the field this year, do they get half pay or will the NRL be 'dishing' out more $$?

Magpie Nick

Juniors
Does anyone know if referees are backing up and doing two games a weekend to make up for the extra need for refs, are more refs being employed or both?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Does anyone know if referees are backing up and doing two games a weekend to make up for the extra need for refs, are more refs being employed or both?

Better question, dont know tbh, and IMO I dont think this two referee idea will last.

Spike

First Grade
There's not enough quality refs as it is. I don't know how many more Finch can pull from his arse

westie

Bench
As I understand it, there will be more top flight refs.

Klein will debut in the NRL.

The NRL reserved the right to abandon the system after Rnd 6.

Charlie124

First Grade
I havent kept up with much of the proposed rule changes so forgive me if this is a stupid question (although i think itll be hard to top the thread opener) but...

have they decided to scrap that stupid "check with the video ref to see if it was a strip or lost ball" rule?

Even in the cases where it was shown to be stripped and the decision was reversed i hated that f**king rule with a passion.

Im not 100% but Im sure I read somewhere that the video ref is been scaled back, the stripping rule was part of the scaling back

Canard

Immortal
I havent kept up with much of the proposed rule changes so forgive me if this is a stupid question (although i think itll be hard to top the thread opener) but...

have they decided to scrap that stupid "check with the video ref to see if it was a strip or lost ball" rule?

Even in the cases where it was shown to be stripped and the decision was reversed i hated that f**king rule with a passion.

Yep the stripping video ref call is being scrapped.

From my reading of it, its two refs in name only, its really one referee marking the 10 (much like a linesman) and a "head" referee looking after the ruck area.

So the 10m guys will be more "junior", sort of like a linesman.

I hope they continue to repeal the level of involvement of the video ref to tries only, and that the NRL takes the option to scrap the 2 referee system. The problem isn't the people refereeing, it is the woefully inadequate training they are given. It would also probably help if the head of the NRL referees was a former ref and not a player.

Here ends my rant (for now).

I think itll be better because the referee looking over the marker has a possibity to call foward passes instead of the Video Ref where that decidion can be made.......we will see how it goes. But yweah, i think we will see some double up games.

Latest posts