What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SFS to get Light Rail

flamin

Juniors
Trams back on the agenda from Central to UNSW via Moore Park in the Infrastructure NSW report.

WayneBennett

Juniors
Trams used to go over the Harbour Bridge, there are disused tunnels at the city end that lead to Wynyard. Used as an underground storage area

Frailty

First Grade
but trams are for Victorians. :?

As a born and bred sydneysider who has lived in Melbourne for the last 18 months... Sydney has really lost something by not having trams. Unfortunately, it would be virtually impossible to create a useful tram network now.

clutch

As a born and bred sydneysider who has lived in Melbourne for the last 18 months... Sydney has really lost something by not having trams. Unfortunately, it would be virtually impossible to create a useful tram network now.

what was required in sydney once trams were removed was the building of a comprehensive underground rail network within a 25km radius of the CBD. that horse has well and truly bolted now. all they did is replace the tram routes with bus routes which today is adding to congestion.

getting stuck behind a tram on a shared road in melbourne can be a nightmare. it might be nostalgic , but it's inefficient. but they know there's no point in ripping it up because without an underground rail network, the routes will just be replaced by buses which carry fewer passengers per trip, which means more buses, more congestion, and are more expensive to run and maintain.

Lambretta

First Grade
Sydney used to have the largest tram network on earth before it was pulled up

Actually, that was LA but don't let the facts get in the way of a good quote

If I were to walk from Central to the SFS with my 5 year old, I'd end up carrying her for 1.5 of the 1.7 km journey, public transport is the way to go with kids

The benefits of light rail is that it will link Sydney Uni and UNSW meaning University courses could be offered that are spread across the two campuses and reduce costs in the education sector. If you then link that route into Central Station and the major sporting facilities such as the SCG and Randwick Racecourse then you're onto a very sensible solution that covers a lot of different scenarios.

Buses for sporting events have to brought in specially for certain events - having light rail running past these events will free buses up for other routes or will help relieve stress on the few buses that are available for big events.

This proposal is a very sensible idea

PS Pubs between Central and SFS are Aurora Hotel, Excelsior, KB, Forresters, Cricketers, Local Taphouse (ok that's a stretch but they have 20 different beers on tap) and the Captain Cook. There's also a hotel opposite the stadium, so you could technically count that one too.

WayneBennett

Juniors
Consulted my book " Sydney Trams ". It says ..... ahem , ...that you are correct.

Think i may need another hobby.

Foolish thing is, if they dig down a few feet under the road, theyll find existing tracks right where they want to put new ones on

Check the background out
250px-Rozelletram.jpg

Last edited:

Stinkler

Juniors
Not sure about you guys, but I know my wife wouldn't like to walk from the SFS to Central after a 7:30pm game.

Wouldn't be the safest of walks.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Not sure about you guys, but I know my wife wouldn't like to walk from the SFS to Central after a 7:30pm game.

Wouldn't be the safest of walks.

Its much safer than alot of other parts of Sydney,

To the point I don't think a light rail will help in boosting crowds,

Latest posts