What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shackleton gone for season.

Snoochies

First Grade
I don't want to rain on the spirits of those wishing Shack all the best, because i agree with that sentiment entirely. For a player looking to make an impression on the game for his new club, this must truly be a devastating blow and i wish him all the very best in his recovery. I look forward to seeing him return in 2011 for another crack.

BUT, there is way too much doom and gloom going around about what this means for our chances and the lack of support for those youngsters who will benefit from the opportunity as a result. This is what happens in footy. A contact sport, unfortunate injuries result, young guys step up to take the place of those we expected to have been there. Our season was never going to be about going through an entire season using only 17 players and whilst i am certainly sad for Shack, I'm excited about Oake or Pele or Lasalo or Horo stepping up in his place. Shackleton is a good honest worker who would have made 25 tackles and 10 hit ups a game, but he was not going to be pivotal to us winning the comp either. Surely one of the young options can step up and cover that off.

Again all the very best to Shane Shackleton. I don't mean to dismiss his impact at all, but I am looking forward to seeing who gets named in the No. 17 jumper tomorrow and am excited to see that kid take the next step.

I agree, last year we lost 2 half backs and a 5/8th and we had a pretty good year. No-one expected Mortimer and Robson would be our halves and they stood up and succeeded.
As bad as I feel for Shack, we haven't lost our halves and I'm sure there is another youngster in our talent pool that will impress us all. When younger players have a chance to show their stuff, we generally aren't let down, you just have to look at our current roster to see the amount of talent we have developed and stood up when given a chance.

lucablight

First Grade
I don't know how long this type of injury takes to heal but it's a pretty long season and there have been cases where players have made surprise returns before.

84 Baby

Referee
Hills News saying Horo was best on ground

(If it needs a quote I'd have to scan the article)

Binga

Juniors
I'm suprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet, but this article is taken from Rugby League Week.

The word among NRL medicos is that Shane Shackleton's shocking injury last Friday night could be even more serious than what's been released to the media. The Eels have announced that Shackleton is out for the year after having emergency surgery on a major hamstring tear. But I'm hearing the injury is so severe that it could be a career-threatening - let's hope the luckless back-rower proves the experts wrong and makes it back in 2011

Parra Steve

Juniors
THey showed footage of the incident on the footy show, Andrew Voss said Luke O'Donnell pretty much had to learnt how to walk again the injury was that bad. Hopefully Shackleton will make a recovery like O'Donnell.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Hills News saying Horo was best on ground

(If it needs a quote I'd have to scan the article)

Horo's great! He's just got a rep for being inconsistant... if he plays well week in week out he's a firstgrade prospect fo sho

Voodoo Rock

Juniors
a little birdy told me that both hamstrings not just one were torn off the bone, i think we will be lucky to have him back for the start of next season

Gronk

Staff member
Shack's black cat must have opened an umbrella inside, ran under a ladder and then broke a mirror all on Friday morning....

Nikki

Coach
He has to keep his leg immobilised (spl) for at least 6 weeks. How frustrating would that be??!!

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well, dont want o get all cold and all, coz i do care for the bugger. But if it turns out that his career is over, would Parra THEN get salary cap compensation for 2010?

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Well, dont want o get all cold and all, coz i do care for the bugger. But if it turns out that his career is over, would Parra THEN get salary cap compensation for 2010?

we (through fitzy) were offered (but declined) dispensation by the nrl when tim smith and the club mutually terminated his contract. in johnny mannah's case, the nrl won't allow dispensation unless johnny mannah is released from his contract. i would say we would need to do the same thing with shack to get a similar decision

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
With Shane he didn't make his first grade debut until 2005 when he was 23, it was only last year he started to make a name for himself in 1st

Oake made his debut in 2008 when he was also 23 , he has played 16 NRL games.

Just maybe we aren't going to lose to much with Oake coming into the side.

Latest posts