What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan to Dragons - Suggested in yesterdays Daily Telegragh

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
902b1182-8dd9-43b3-a58d-f5eb2f6ab17f-jpeg.32692
Still leaves a better taste in the mouth than a 2 year McGregor extension..

Frank Facer

First Grade
You understand that having opinions challenged is part of being on a forum, yeah?

Of course it would be nice to have Thurston mentor a young half, but is it realistic?

Between his commentary commitments and the academy that he has already set up to help disadvantaged youth, where do you think he is going to find the time to come and coach a young footballer? And for free? Based on what? That they’re both indigenous?
I think it is very realist the idea of Thurston mentoring Sullivan. If Sullivan reached out and asked for some mentoring from Thurston, he may see a bit of himself in Sullivan (comparisons have already been made), he may also like the idea of mentoring a young player with such big wraps on him and the fact that they are both indigenous may work in Sullivan's favor as well.

It would be better for our club to reach out to Thurston and with the idea of giving him a part time, paid coaching role. I think it would be a brilliant idea. Who knows what knowledge he could impart on our established halves, young halves and the rest of the squad? He would have the respect of the playing squad too and I think the players would love having him around and his input. He also looks like a pretty likable guy.

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor under pressure to keep Dragons coaching post
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

d8703357746901e36792fff5dcfedf62

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is reportedly set to coach his last game at the club in Round 25.Source: AAP
Paul McGregor is reportedly under pressure to keep his job at St George Illawarra beyond his side’s final game against the Titans in Round 25.

Veteran journalist Phil Rothfield revealed that McGregor is under increasing pressure to hold onto his post after six seasons and 139 games at the helm.

The Daily Telegraph reported that despite a two-year contract extension earlier this year, officials are resigned to having to make the difficult call after a disastrous season.

“Paul McGregor is in big trouble to keep his job,” Rothfield told NRL 360.

“After the defeat yesterday and the disastrous season.

“I spoke to Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston this evening and he would not confirm that his future is safe.”

The Dragons are set to undergo a review at the end of the season, with McGregor at long odds to survive, according to Rothffield.

“McGregor will be a part of the full review, which would hten go to the board before Christmas.

“There are key powerbrokers at the Dragons, who now have concerns about Mary moving forward even though in April they extended his contract by two years.”

Paul Kent believes the fact the club are undergoing a review leads him to the conclusion that the Dragons are looking for a new coach.

“The old line used to be he has the full support of the board, which you knew when that was uttered that you were a dead man walking,” Kent said.

“Now the moment they say there is going to be a review, the fact that they believe there is a need for a review seems to indicate there is a need for a new coach.”

745299_640x360_large_20190902210602.jpg

McGregor to leave Dragons?

1:58
Rothfield believes a fan backlash is responsible for the pressure that McGregor is under.

“I think they have had a massive fan backlash on social media and the stories about the Mary Mcgregor banners,” Rothfield said.

“I think they are reacting to a bit of fan pressure, but that performance yesterday against the Tigers just added to it.

e57ba9aa1c424bf77fcd087bbec1c5c7

The Dragons will finish 15th in 2019 after being heavily favoured to make the top four.Source: Getty Images
“A lot of people tipped St George to make the top four and some tipped them to win the premiership.”

McGregor is reportedly on $600,000-a-season which would force the Dragons to pay out $1.2 million before signing a new coach.

Two names have been mentioned as possible replacements – Sydney Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon and former Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan, who still has to be cleared.

McGregor refused to comment when contacted by the Daily Telegraph.

Ben Ikin questioned whether sacked Knights coach Nathan Brown could be considered as a potential replacement, if McGregor is let go.

“Is it just coincidence that Nathan Brown parts company with the Newcastle Knights, so now all of a sudden there is some urgency at the Dragons?” Ikin said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/b6061be666cdb84c5680c59a7077f304

Ascalon

Juniors
Flanagan is a 2 time cheat. Players injected with gear and salary cap rorting. I for one don’t want to see our club infected by this grub. Can’t wait for the door to hit McGregor’s arse on the way out but in my opinion Flanagan is not the answer.

“Look for three things in a person - intelligence, energy and integrity. If they don’t have the last one, don’t even bother about the first two”
Warren Buffett

sa1nt5

Juniors
Flanagan is a 2 time cheat. Players injected with gear and salary cap rorting. I for one don’t want to see our club infected by this grub. Can’t wait for the door to hit McGregor’s arse on the way out but in my opinion Flanagan is not the answer.

“Look for three things in a person - intelligence, energy and integrity. If they don’t have the last one, don’t even bother about the first two”
Warren Buffett
Kevin Walters has all that and then some He’d attract more big rep and aspiring rep players than any other candidate. Then there Shaun wane also has those three attributes and more he would attract some off the best pommy talent on offer too as well as having the best record over ten years of any coach including Bellamy. So if we can’t get the Aussie Bellamy why not get the pommy Bellamy. He stated he wants an NRL gig and we need a coach

sa1nt5

Juniors
Yeah f**k Flanagan and his dealers. I’d rather McGregor than to be shamed like the crudnulla Scumerland sharks were. Although f**k them too.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Has anyone questioned whether the club’s sponsors would be happy for it to be associated with a bloke who was involved with a messy, performance enhancing drug scandal featuring a Mr S. Dank?

I’m unsure if it would be thrilled with such a prospect.

possm

Coach
I think the issue maybe that the board know our squad is good enough to win the minor premiership ( cough choke what!!!) and if another comes in and does just that, it would highlight their own shortcomings , so they now have to persevere and hope our squad does perform to potential, in spite of mcfraud, to save face and media scrutiny.
I don't think so. In my opinion backroom deals were done during the WIN negotiations and honoured early this season when the Board, with recommendations from the CEO, extended Mary's contract for another two years.

The Board does not give a toss about the feelings of the fans as they have no say and Board members are not held accountable.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Brown can replace Millward in pathways.
There will be a review and the structure invented by the old boys will be dismantled. I am sure recruiting will return to be supervised by the head coach - if Millward stays or not.

To me it seems as though Brown is SGI's target for head coach. I'd be happy with this but would also be happy if Griffin, Toovey or another experienced coach were given the job. I doubt the NRL will do SGI any favours with regards to Flannigan.

Walpole

Juniors
Kevin Walters has all that and then some He’d attract more big rep and aspiring rep players than any other candidate. Then there Shaun wane also has those three attributes and more he would attract some off the best pommy talent on offer too as well as having the best record over ten years of any coach including Bellamy. So if we can’t get the Aussie Bellamy why not get the pommy Bellamy. He stated he wants an NRL gig and we need a coach
Absolutely. no old boys and no filth that are going to run the club further into the ground. Has to be an outsider who's tough enough to stand up to the board and has some strong coaching credentials. I like the idea of Shaun Wane (although I'll probably call him Shane Warne after I've had a few) or Toovey. Flanagan has too much baggage and we'll most likely end up with a Cleary type circus.

SBD82

Coach
I think it is very realist the idea of Thurston mentoring Sullivan. If Sullivan reached out and asked for some mentoring from Thurston, he may see a bit of himself in Sullivan (comparisons have already been made), he may also like the idea of mentoring a young player with such big wraps on him and the fact that they are both indigenous may work in Sullivan's favor as well.

It would be better for our club to reach out to Thurston and with the idea of giving him a part time, paid coaching role. I think it would be a brilliant idea. Who knows what knowledge he could impart on our established halves, young halves and the rest of the squad? He would have the respect of the playing squad too and I think the players would love having him around and his input. He also looks like a pretty likable guy.
Go make the offer Frank. Let me know how that goes.

And go tell Sullivan that he needs to make a request of Thurston. Let me know
What the kid says.

Latest posts