What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharkies going, going...? (D/T)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to Cronulla, how are they making up the $1million the bank refused to lend them? and what impact will having to pay interest on a loan of that size have on the ongoing funding issues. They would be better off selling off some of their land than keeping it as an inaccesible assett.

Inferno

Coach
Back to Cronulla, how are they making up the $1million the bank refused to lend them? and what impact will having to pay interest on a loan of that size have on the ongoing funding issues. They would be better off selling off some of their land than keeping it as an inaccesible assett.

They were lent 500k and PKF is currently going through the books. Once they finish their report there's still a chance they bank will loan them the other 500k.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
For those who are interested, the Broncos are still against another team in Brisbane (I'm pretty sure they fought against the Gold Coast's bid).

Earlier this year the idea of another Qld team was brought up and the Broncos released a statement saying Mackay was a good option.

Ipswich or Sunnycoast are by far the most attractive options in Qld though.

bobmar28

Bench
LOL. Not the thinking type are we. Of that 3 million, at least 1 million live in remote areas that cannot sustain an NRL side.

Gold Coast fell over 3 times.

Brisbane refuses to give up it's 1.5 million glut. Easily, that area could house 3 sides.

Tumut has 1500 people, and 1 team.

China has 1 000 000 000 people, and no team.

Your point?

Tumut doesn't have an NRL team. And my point is why does an entire state, the heartland of rugby league, have only 3 teams while Sydney has 9?

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
The Broncos contributed to the demise of the Crushers due to them being major players in the Super League war. One of their motives in pushing for Super League was due to the ARL admitting the Crushers to the comp. When the Crushers came into the comp it was common knowledge the Broncos were against the move, and they hardly welcomed their cross-city rivals with open arms to promote the good of the game in Brisbane. And when the NRL was formed after the Super League war, the Broncos had an exclusitivity clause that they remain the only team in Brisbane for a certain period of time (not sure how long exactly, it was for a few years).

Notwithstanding the Broncos involvement with Super League and their angst towards the ARL and the Crushers (we can argue the point until the cows come home), it would be very hard to argue that the Crushers WOULD NOT have been a raging success had of they not come into existence during the Super League era. They were getting crowds of 20,000-odd in their first season and a half.

The fact remains that the Broncos have a clear-cut unfair advantage over every other team in the comp because of the monopoly they enjoy being in a city of 2 million people where League is the number one dominant sport.

When push comes to shove, it’s hard to argue that Brisbane should have a 2nd team and it would be a move that is good for the game. And only then can we have a level playing field.

If it’s good enough for Adelaide and Perth to have 2 AFL teams (and they have smaller populations than Brisbane) then it’s good enough for Brisbane to have 2 NRL teams.

As for the number of Sydney teams, whilst it is correct that if you were to work off a clean sheet of paper you would ideally have less Sydney teams, it’s not that simple. The Sydney teams have been established for decades so eliminating teams now would do untold damage to the game of Rugby League in Sydney and therefore Australia.

Sydney is THE market that EVERY sport wants. Every sport in the country would love to be as dominant as Rugby League is in the biggest city and financial capital of Australia. Soccer and AFL both want teams in Western Sydney. Cutting Sydney teams now would be committing suicide and giving up territory to the AFL and soccer.

With other sports strategically targeting Sydney, the key here is to work with what we’ve got and make our saturation coverage and dominance in Sydney even stronger, not weaker.

Has any of the ignorant Queenslanders learnt anything from the debacle of kicking Souths out of the comp? Do you want that to happen again? And how do you think Rugby League is going on the North Shore since the Bears left the comp? The game is as good as dead on the North Shore. If you want the same thing to happen in other parts of Sydney then go ahead and kick out more Sydney teams.

The only way Sydney teams will be eliminated is through natural attrition and even then it will be BAD for the game. Mergers might work in some circumstances (i.e. Wests Tigers), but you need the correct teams to merge. Manly and Norths was NEVER going to work.

Queenslanders will no doubt snigger, but the fact is that if the game loses Sydney then the game is as good as over in Australia.

And having 2 teams in Brisbane will make the game stronger in Brisbane, not weaker.
And having 4 teams in Sydney will make the game stronger in Sydney, not weaker.

Right now we have the silly situation that although I live in a city of 4 million, my suburb doesn't have a team so I follow someone else's. Liverpool doesn't have a team.

Last edited:

krudmonk

Juniors
But Texas isn't a nation. Neither is NSW.
Are you avoiding the point? Dallas doesn't have multiple teams because the US is huge. If the league was confined to Texas, things would be different. Australia doesn't have a dozen other places for a team to go.

bobmar28

Bench
Are you avoiding the point? Dallas doesn't have multiple teams because the US is huge. If the league was confined to Texas, things would be different. Australia doesn't have a dozen other places for a team to go.

How about Central Coast, Ipswich, Sunshine Coast, Wellington, Adelaide, Perth, PNG?

Shorty

Staff member
I do agree with Bartman that it should be proof that the game isn't earning the amount of money needed with the unrealistic demands of certain high profile stars.
But I don't think Joey Johns is to blame for...

It is a manager's job to up the price of a player and if the play has the talent and the profile then it's common sense to go for your best bid.
Newcastle/ARL however,did not have to meet the demands of Joey and as a result then set the standard.

As for a second club in Brisbane,well it's not as simple as just placing a club there.
Brisbane is spoilt rotten by the Broncos and for a second club to really take off I think they'd need to be very similar in success(which is a massive ask).

Oh and Bluebags1908(the one that apparently accuses Queenslanders of having a chip when he can't even finished a paragraph without the mention Queensland somewhere in there) North Queensland is not owned by fairy godmother and in fact was bought back off fairy godmother by 'shock horror' the leagues club!

The point wasn't to insult Sydney clubs and supporters it's just to point out that clubs in different areas operate differently and that possibly Sydney should follow for greater chance at success.
Well by the looks of things they will have to anyway...or fold.

Oh and the Sharks aren't going anywhere typical beat up.

The Dodger

First Grade
well stgeorge bank leaked it out so there is your answer.

farkn scum.

typical though, they merged with another bank.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I do agree with Bartman that it should be proof that the game isn't earning the amount of money needed with the unrealistic demands of certain high profile stars.
But I don't think Joey Johns is to blame for...

It is a manager's job to up the price of a player and if the play has the talent and the profile then it's common sense to go for your best bid.
Newcastle/ARL however,did not have to meet the demands of Joey and as a result then set the standard.

As for a second club in Brisbane,well it's not as simple as just placing a club there.
Brisbane is spoilt rotten by the Broncos and for a second club to really take off I think they'd need to be very similar in success(which is a massive ask).

Oh and Bluebags1908(the one that apparently accuses Queenslanders of having a chip when he can't even finished a paragraph without the mention Queensland somewhere in there) North Queensland is not owned by fairy godmother and in fact was bought back off fairy godmother by 'shock horror' the leagues club!

The point wasn't to insult Sydney clubs and supporters it's just to point out that clubs in different areas operate differently and that possibly Sydney should follow for greater chance at success.
Well by the looks of things they will have to anyway...or fold.

Oh and the Sharks aren't going anywhere typical beat up.

Yes, that's correct, the Cowboys are no longer dependant on News Limited, which is great. But News Limited did have to step in and financially help them out at one stage. Glad to see they are now standing on their own two feet and seem to be going OK. I hope the same thing eventually happens with Melbourne.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder - I just get the Sh!ts whenever a Sydney team gets bad headlines there's the usual "lets kick them out, we need less Sydney teams" rant when it's conveniently forgotten that several out of town teams in a one-team environment have also have financial problems. I want all teams to prosper.

And why would I have a chip on my shoulder when I want to see a 2nd Brisbane team (or maybe Sunshine Coast) in the comp? I don't think a 2nd Brisbane team would affect the Broncos average crowds too much (maybe only slightly if they have a bad year on the field). And along with the Titans being newly established, a 2nd Brisbane team would put the screws and enormous pressure on a 2nd AFL team in SEQ.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
The sunshine coast is no where near having a team..

Only 5 and half people live there...

Illawarra deserve there own team well before the sunshine coast..

There should have already been a second team operating out of Brisbane with the possibility of a third popping up soon...

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
Dumping Illawarra now are we?

Bondi-Illawarra roosters, with a tiny red V on a red sock.......

Have you popped To many menthoids you poor old dear?
Where was Illawarra mentioned in the original post I quoted looks to me like they were already Dumped before i came along and posted.:crazy:

Latest posts