What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Approve Central Coast Move

Genius Freak

Juniors
Knowing Zappia, he probably sold the games for a handful of magic beans and a NSW Cup second rower.

coldhardbitch

Juniors
Not good enough Sharks. The Central Coast won't support 'half' a team- remember the Northern Eagles? And they shouldn't entitle you to any of the $8m. A full relocation to the central coast- changing the name to Central Coast Sharks is the only acceptable proposition. Then they could be entitled to the $8m- but they have to cut ties with the shire and have a full relocation first.
I believe that in the Sharks dire state, it is the only acceptable option. The Shire have repeatedly shown they do not want an NRL team, and are not interested in supporting an NRL team. Give the Sharks licence to a more appreciative audience, and make the CC Sharks a permanant one.

Fein

First Grade
Not good enough Sharks. The Central Coast won't support 'half' a team- remember the Northern Eagles? And they shouldn't entitle you to any of the $8m. A full relocation to the central coast- changing the name to Central Coast Sharks is the only acceptable proposition. Then they could be entitled to the $8m- but they have to cut ties with the shire and have a full relocation first.
I believe that in the Sharks dire state, it is the only acceptable option. The Shire have repeatedly shown they do not want an NRL team, and are not interested in supporting an NRL team. Give the Sharks licence to a more appreciative audience, and make the CC Sharks a permanant one.

Yes, I well remember the Northern Eagles.

It was the patsy sold to the Bears that lead to their death and allowed Manly the deceitful lifeline they never deserved - but I digress from the real issue here, the Sharks.

CHB, I strongly disagree with your comments that "The Shire have repeatedly shown they do not want an NRL team, and are not interested in supporting an NRL team" as well.

AFAIK, the junior Rugby League competition in the Sutherland Shire runs rings around the likes of Balmain's, St George and Eastern Suburbs.

The area also boasts the largest Soccer participation in the Southern hemisphere.

While I'm also a fan of soccer, should the area be deserted for the Central Coast and leave it a senior representative wasteland as far as NRL is concerned?

That would be disastrous in my opinion.

It saddens me to hear that every club faced with financial issues has the "Central Coast bound" tag attached to it.

The Central Coast, as you point out CBH, in many respects deserve a team in their own right, I just hope when the day comes, it is not Cronulla or any other current NRL franchaise.

Just on the specifics of the article, Zappia is quoted as saying his budget was for 13,000 fans per game, yet 9,000 is the current actual.

This is after 5 home games.

Based on those figures, that represents a shortfall of roughly 33%.

The article (not Zappia, although you would like to think he gave the journalist these figures) also mentions Cronulla are losing $25,000 per game at present however a move of home games to Gosford produces a minimum $100,000 guarantee per match.

I really can't be farked doing the maths here but something doesn't quite add up for my liking.

Just on the dubious position of Cronulla being "asset rich and cash poor", the question I would have for the board of the club is what steps have been taken to address this situation?

The Woolooware development has been on the table for quite a while now and given that "Directors have promoted a $110 million residential and business redevelopment adjacent to Sharkies as their saviour", why is it still a mill stone around the clubs neck when it should be the stepping stone to infinite survival?

I understand that "the plan faces opposition from conservation groups" but surely environmental impact advice has been received to give some sort of concrete surety of the developments prospects?

One last thing.

Why the f**k haven't the council got behind this?

Or have they?

It seems to me that a "$110 million residential and business redevelopment" would produce significant income for the region and council alike.

Surely the council have a vested interest to see it's region promoted around Australia every weekend in the top flight Rugby League competition?

Is it not possible for the council to underwrite the sharks in some way shape or form by way of venture capital in the project to see them through in the short term - or long term?

I recognise there would be some legal issues with that proposal however anything is achievable with the right minds on the job.

Tough times Sharkies fans but I've seen worse at Souths and we survived, eventually.

Unite and fight. ;-)

Last edited:

spider

Coach
Its licensed venue, Sharkies, has been on the edge of insolvency since directors were forced to rely on a $500,000 loan from St George Bank to pay wages over Christmas.
after reading the annual report it suggests otherwise

the media love a beat up in all fronts

annual report said:
Sharkies
was able to stem the expected decrease in bottom line, recording a resounding operating profit of $1,690,881 as compared to the $1,811,736 of 2006-7, a decline of only ($120,855).

reading further - the operating result could be much better if not for grants

Grants to the Football Club increased significantly in 2007-8 to ($2,572,655) up from ($1,500,000) in 2006-7, an increase of +71.51%.

i doesn't look as grim as the media wish to paint it on all fronts - but keep blogging phil - you seem good at that...

I know this will look like a troll, it's not intended to be, but it has to be said that the annual report makes terrible reading and suffers basically all of the problems that Parramatta's recent report featured aside from the huge loss amount.

1. Net assets = half of that of comparable RL clubs (Saints, Easts, etc)
2. Current ratio = 10%
3. Huge investment in PPE without significant change in revenue.
4. Note in auditors' report pointing out weakness of going conern asumption.

There has been no massive loss - $1.4m as opposed to the approx $9m for Parra Leagues - but frankly the Sharks balance sheet couldn't afford such a loss so it's no great comfort there.

Also, very sloppy work from the club accountants and BDO Kendalls. I've been looking at these financials for the grand total of 10 minutes and I've already found three mistakes.

i doesn't look as grim as the media wish to paint it on all fronts - but keep blogging phil - you seem good at that...

Mate

How is it not as grim? They just moved the club to the Central Coast!!

spider

Coach
Mate

How is it not as grim? They just moved the club to the Central Coast!!
my inference was to the leagues club's financial status

if it was sinking then there would be no football club to move to the central coast

this has been on the cards for a couple of years, the writing has been on the wall - the board are accountable

i would back a move for so many years if it meant the overall survival of the team as we know it

Last edited:

The Popper

Bench

Our financial loss for the year was no worse than our northern neighbours. State govt. policies are primarily responsible.

The Popper

Bench

I agree with your sentiments, Bitch. But I reckon there is another option which could be successful a la St.George Illawarra. I posted as follows on another thread:
`Now, if we just go up there to take the money and run, crowds won't turn up. I reckon we have to do much more than that. I reckon we should offer the Central Coast half share in a joint venture and play half our games there permanently. This will double our fan base and our talent base. But we must give the Central Coast (part) ownership of the team otherwise it will be all for nothing and Cronulla Sharks will cease to exist. Zappia deserves a pat on the back for his initiative'.
Central Coast want a team. Greg Florimo and co. are working toward it but it could be some years away. Such a `joint venture' would give them immediate access to a football team operating out of the Central Coast and would immediately give their residents someone to follow. I have not got a problem with `Cronulla - Central Coast Sharks' or similar.
Season tickets could be split like St. George-Illawarra do with theirs.

Last edited:

spider

Coach
Our financial loss for the year was no worse than our northern neighbours. State govt. policies are primarily responsible.
how much do you think the football club loss was for the year pop?

look carefully amongst the smoke in the report

carcharias

Immortal
We have a team. Its called St George. Was our territory once, about to become ours again.

happy days.

Hey Rexxy ..you are better than that mate.

when you catch me bagging your mob in your forum then you can do the same in here.

thfcyid

Juniors
We have a team. Its called St George. Was our territory once, about to become ours again.

happy days.

Mate you're a complete waste of space in this forum with posts like that.

Back on topic, I think that the first few games at Sharks this year were very unlucky with the weather on the night, which in turn kept a lot of people away. I remember the second game it was absolutely pouring down, and there is quite a lack of cover at the ground.

I think that if the weather was fair, then we would be looking at a completely different average figure for the year. Of course, it would have withered away a little due to their current table position.

Either way, I will still be down there every week.

Rexxy

Coach
Hey Rexxy ..you are better than that mate.

when you catch me bagging your mob in your forum then you can do the same in here.

Point taken.

Even though we get no mercy from those who knock the joint venture, I apologise for being opportunistic.

FWIW I did go and give my money to see the Roosters game on Saturday, which is more than many of your fans did.

carcharias

Immortal
no worries Rex

I went to the SaintS v Newcastle game at OKI .

Great atmosphere....
I even went into Kogvegas after the game.

I'd have prefered at least one of these games was taken to a country area like Dubbo. Country RL gets the poor end of the stick, trial games & City V Country, I would think a genuine NRL game would draw a crowd and more importantly create interest in a market that is not being tapped by any other NRL side.

carcharias

Immortal
I'd have prefered at least one of these games was taken to a country area like Dubbo. Country RL gets the poor end of the stick, trial games & City V Country, I would think a genuine NRL game would draw a crowd and more importantly create interest in a market that is not being tapped by any other NRL side.

I agree....however the country area's are a bit too far spaced out IMO.

Dubbo would be logical I guess...but it is still pretty small.

Bathhurst ...maybe , it has the Uni students and can handle a crowd.

Mt Isa?
they nothing else to do out there...I was once stranded there for a week.
hell on earth.