What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

taipan

Referee
One of my favourite 2016 grand final memories is of the day after at Shark park.
That little sack of shite josh Massoud showed up ..
Hahahaha
He had to do the reporting of it.

That would’ve killed him

Did he pour something sinister down your neck ATT?

Canard

Immortal
The old "it happened under a previous administration" never works as an excuse, nor should it.

On the face of it though, $250k doesn't seem that big of a deal and normally pretty much on the low side.

That being said they have a stacked playing roster and haven't struggled signing big names recently

The old "it happened under a previous administration" never works as an excuse, nor should it.

On the face of it though, $250k doesn't seem that big of a deal and normally pretty much on the low side.

That being said they have a stacked playing roster and haven't struggled signing big names recently
Ha, one word

Roosters

Please enlighten us on those big name players

sempmrh

Juniors
poor Buzz is looking for sympathy

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...a/news-story/2b897041f34cd350573b6f6341892b36

Cronulla Sharks salary cap scandal: Buzz Rothfield on the pain of investigating his beloved Cronulla

Phil Rothfield Sports editor-at-large, Member No. 111, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

THIS is one of the hardest stories I’ve had to write in 42 years as a sports writer.

Most readers of this newspaper would be aware I am a Cronulla Sharks tragic.

A season ticket holder, member and fanatical fan.

I have been since I covered the Sharks’ 1978 grand final replay against Manly on a Tuesday afternoon at the Sydney Cricket Ground and walked away thinking they were hard done by.

In this gig it can be difficult having such an emotional investment in a footy team.

You go there every week to cheer your lungs out, boo the referee over a pie and beer.

Shark Park is my second home.

In this business though you have to treat every story on its merit.

When our front-rower and 2016 grand final hero Andrew Fifita abused a junior referee two years ago I broke the story and exposed him.

When Josh Dugan got thrown out of Cronulla RSL earlier this year for swearing in front of women I wrote about it.

Then there was the peptides, a story we couldn’t ignore.

Or when our chairman Damian Keogh was busted for possessing cocaine.

Now this potential salary cap scandal.

We got a tip-off on Tuesday morning.

My immediate thoughts are the newspaper and our website.

You start gathering the details, hit the keyboard and type it out.

It’s when the guilt hits home and you start to question yourself.

Should I have passed on the story to another colleague to write to stay sweet with the players, the coaches and the officials, many of whom are friends?

Yet at the end of the day it’s what we do.

Shane Flanagan chases two competition points every week as relentlessly as I chase stories.

I’m worried this one might have an effect on our finals campaign and what sort of disruptions it may cause.

Still, if I hadn’t have written it, someone else would have. And whether you like it or not, it’s my job.

It always amazes me the amount of self-importance so many people in rugby league media have about themselves.

Moylan, Duggan, Woods all internationals and Segs signed whilst paying his transfer fee.

The Roosters are definitely rorting the cap.

I don't think this will eventuate into anything though, especially after Holmes moves back home next year
Increase in Cap, loss of Maloney, Dugan replaced Bird, Woods has Bulldogs carrying freight

Besides, they are 2018, not 2017

poor Buzz is looking for sympathy

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...a/news-story/2b897041f34cd350573b6f6341892b36

Cronulla Sharks salary cap scandal: Buzz Rothfield on the pain of investigating his beloved Cronulla

Phil Rothfield Sports editor-at-large, Member No. 111, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

THIS is one of the hardest stories I’ve had to write in 42 years as a sports writer.

Most readers of this newspaper would be aware I am a Cronulla Sharks tragic.

A season ticket holder, member and fanatical fan.

I have been since I covered the Sharks’ 1978 grand final replay against Manly on a Tuesday afternoon at the Sydney Cricket Ground and walked away thinking they were hard done by.

In this gig it can be difficult having such an emotional investment in a footy team.

You go there every week to cheer your lungs out, boo the referee over a pie and beer.

Shark Park is my second home.

In this business though you have to treat every story on its merit.

When our front-rower and 2016 grand final hero Andrew Fifita abused a junior referee two years ago I broke the story and exposed him.

When Josh Dugan got thrown out of Cronulla RSL earlier this year for swearing in front of women I wrote about it.

Then there was the peptides, a story we couldn’t ignore.

Or when our chairman Damian Keogh was busted for possessing cocaine.

Now this potential salary cap scandal.

We got a tip-off on Tuesday morning.

My immediate thoughts are the newspaper and our website.

You start gathering the details, hit the keyboard and type it out.

It’s when the guilt hits home and you start to question yourself.

Should I have passed on the story to another colleague to write to stay sweet with the players, the coaches and the officials, many of whom are friends?

Yet at the end of the day it’s what we do.

Shane Flanagan chases two competition points every week as relentlessly as I chase stories.

I’m worried this one might have an effect on our finals campaign and what sort of disruptions it may cause.

Still, if I hadn’t have written it, someone else would have. And whether you like it or not, it’s my job.

lmao, Phil S. Thompson.

moffla

Bench
It’s well known, but never mentioned written in code on the NRL mission statement it allows one team from each state to be salary cap exempt;
Vic - Storm
NSW - Roosters
Qld - Broncos.

If we are allowed does that mean we get our 2 premierships back?

themacemaceman

Juniors
Why the hell do we always hear about salary cap breaches 3 years after they happen?
Who cares. It’s water under the bridge. All that matters are teams are compliant this year.
My pay clerk can tell me on a Monday morning what the wages were last week!

It’s shouldnt be that hard.

I can show them how to set up a spreadsheet if they would like to keep track of it. Easy.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Why the hell do we always hear about salary cap breaches 3 years after they happen?
Who cares. It’s water under the bridge. All that matters are teams are compliant this year.
My pay clerk can tell me on a Monday morning what the wages were last week!

It’s shouldnt be that hard.

I can show them how to set up a spreadsheet if they would like to keep track of it. Easy.
Maybe the Sharks need Uncle Nick to make a trip over to the Shire:):):)

Latest posts