What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

Frailty

First Grade
But they did have a system in place to cheat the cap, the fact they couldnt even get that right and get enough money into that cheating system to go over the cap surely should be irrelevant?
Or is the nrl saying it is ok to have illegal tpa agreement systems in place as long as it doesn’t put you over the cap? Kent has gone on hard on this all week and no one has refuted it, suggesting it is correct that sharks had an illegal system in place but were too inept in 2016 to make it pay, the fact the 2016 squad was built thenprevious 2 years using this illegal system seems to have escaped Greenberg!

• The only identified system was organised in 2017, and never eventuated.
  • TPAs are to be arranged independently of the club - thus why they are exemption to the salary cap. If they are arranged by the club (like any other incentive that isn't contracted salary), it must be applied to the club's cap. This instance it was. There have been numerous occasions clubs have been fined for this including Warriors in 98 & 99, Cowboys in 2001, Roosters in 2001 and 2002 (Guess who won the competition that year), Storm in 2004. These are usually reported as minor breaches.
  • Kent is agenda-driven and provided zero evidence to substantiate his claims. The Sharks and NRL do not need to respond to his dribble.

AJB1102

First Grade
Well Kent has been very clear and forthright in calling out that the tpa cheating systems were in place and operational in 2016. Neither the sharks or nrl has come out and challenged this. I wonder why?

His opinion means f**kall would be my guess.

Case closed after 9 month forensic audit ... oh, hang on guys, Paul Kent believes different, better go back over this. - Unlikely.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lost me right at “Kent”

What he is the expert?

Show proof that the Sharks has a systematic cheating scheme in place until the 2017 time line the NRL spoke about? You know the one where they said it was clear there was intent, even if the Sharks didn’t go ahead with it.

Maybe Todd isn’t saying anything because the Sharks are in the shit for more the stupidity of their attempt or intent, than anything else

As for the annual report. Who cares, it will change and the rivers of gold all clubs get from the NRL will continue to roll in

Given how cash strapped sharks are, IF Kent is making it up with no evidence then they may like to speak to their lawyers! In reality Kent has been in nrl briefings on and off the record and whilst he is news Ltd hack and ergo not to be beloved in most things I doubt even he would be so black and white in his claims if he hadn’t got information. Maybe we just put a big * next to 2016 premiership and move on lol

Given how cash strapped sharks are, IF Kent is making it up with no evidence then they may like to speak to their lawyers! In reality Kent has been in nrl briefings on and off the record and whilst he is news Ltd hack and ergo not to be beloved in most things I doubt even he would be so black and white in his claims if he hadn’t got information. Maybe we just put a big * next to 2016 premiership and move on lol
Why, when we don’t have money worries

Perth Red

Post Whore
His opinion means f**kall would be my guess.

Case closed after 9 month forensic audit ... oh, hang on guys, Paul Kent believes different, better go back over this. - Unlikely.

I suspect given Greenberg’s “explanation” last night the nrl doesn’t actually have the correct policies and laws in place to deal with this scenario. Ie setting up cheating systems but actually being under the cap. I doubt they considered that any club could be so inept!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why, when we don’t have money worries

Have you seen your annual report? The sacking of staff, the attempts to offload the stage 3 development to sort out some serious cash flow problems? The taking out of more loans last year to pay off loans that were due for payment. I’m sure you’re right and there are no worries what so ever lol

I suspect given Greenberg’s “explanation” last night the nrl doesn’t actually have the correct policies and laws in place to deal with this scenario. Ie setting up cheating systems but actually being under the cap. I doubt they considered that any club could be so inept!
We agree there has been plenty of useless idiots running this club in the past

Have you seen your annual report? The sacking of staff, the attempts to offload the stage 3 development to sort out some serious cash flow problems? The taking out of more loans last year to pay off loans that were due for payment. I’m sure you’re right and there are no worries what so ever lol
I couldn’t care less about that, it’s the future that matters.

Stay tuned PR

Perth Red

Post Whore
We agree there has been plenty of useless idiots running this club in the past

You’re not wrong, you do seem to attract them!
On the plus side you are the opposite of the old adage that success starts in the front office! You continue to be able to attract great players and be a top squad despite all the dramas. And the fans have stuck solid despite the sht. Hats off for that!

You’re not wrong, you do seem to attract them!
On the plus side you are the opposite of the old adage that success starts in the front office! You continue to be able to attract great players and be a top squad despite all the dramas. And the fans have stuck solid despite the sht. Hats off for that!
Cheers PR.

siv

First Grade
attempts to offload the stage 3 development to sort out some serious cash flow problem

Interesting

As well as $210k over the cap in 2017

But my main question

How is what the Sharks had setup different to the Broncos Thoughbreds ?

The coach isn’t in charge of contracts, the ceo is in charge of dodgy tpa backdoor systems being set up, bit of a difference.
So you agree with Greenberg then?!?!?
If you watched League Life you would have quoted that he said the bottom line, in regards to the salary cap, lies with the CEO and Chairperson signing off on all contracts.
And you, like Greenberg and Kent, are hardly mentioning Gorman, if at all, , instead just aiming at the Sharks.
Time to wake up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep 100% agree it is the clubs management and directors that are responsible. However the sharks are responsible for, electing hiring and governance as a club. If a club isn’t represented by the board of directors then what is it?

Like The coach was ultimately responsible for the drug cheating and was punished accordingly so the directors and ceo should be punished every time for salary cap cheating. In most cases they have been, for some reasons Greenberg has gone very soft on the remaining sharks chair and board members and previous ceo who is still a ceo in the nrl. Only he knows why and he’s not sharing. Someone needed to ask him some tougher questions last night, he got off very lightly.

Reactions: Vee
Yep 100% agree it is the clubs management and directors that are responsible. However the sharks are responsible for, electing hiring and governance as a club. If a club isn’t represented by the board of directors then what is it?

Like The coach was ultimately responsible for the drug cheating and was punished accordingly so the directors and ceo should be punished every time for salary cap cheating. In most cases they have been, for some reasons Greenberg has gone very soft on the remaining sharks chair and board members and previous ceo who is still a ceo in the nrl. Only he knows why and he’s not sharing. Someone needed to ask him some tougher questions last night, he got off very lightly.
Can’t go at the remaining board members (Dino excluded) as none of them were there

Keogh and Gorman aren't at the club anymore. Keogh isn't involved in the NRL at all, Gorman, however, still is.
I agree with you that the none reasons asking about Gorman and some board members is strange.
Why the reason for Kent not asking those questions...
Like I said earlier, that to me is way more strange.