What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

Frailty

First Grade
A very guarded and muddy response by Greenberg last night on league life when asked why sharks title not stripped like storms were

“On the occasion of the Sharks, we felt in 2016 the decisions we made on sanctions had no ability for us to change the premierships.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...m/news-story/f4fd036f322be13969d7f7ed250a8c1a

I don't know how it is muddy at all.

Third Party agreements that are not declared or have been arranged by a club in breach of the Salary Cap have always had that amount applied to the Salary Cap. That is the precedent that has been set by the NRL for years. In 2016, the Sharks player contracts were below the salary cap even with these amounts applied - therefore they did not exceed the salary cap or provide an unfair advantage.

It's that simple.

txta2

First Grade
Paul Gallen was saying most of the 3rd party money wasn't even paid, that is why Barry went digging.

Generalzod

Immortal
The cocky geek that sits next to Paul merkin was in full Sharks hate mode last night.

He’s got the Sharks playing state cup and bringing in Redcliffe.

I felt like pushing his glasses into his eye sockets.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't know how it is muddy at all.

Third Party agreements that are not declared or have been arranged by a club in breach of the Salary Cap have always had that amount applied to the Salary Cap. That is the precedent that has been set by the NRL for years. In 2016, the Sharks player contracts were below the salary cap even with these amounts applied - therefore they did not exceed the salary cap or provide an unfair advantage.

It's that simple.

But they did have a system in place to cheat the cap, the fact they couldnt even get that right and get enough money into that cheating system to go over the cap surely should be irrelevant?
Or is the nrl saying it is ok to have illegal tpa agreement systems in place as long as it doesn’t put you over the cap? Kent has gone on hard on this all week and no one has refuted it, suggesting it is correct that sharks had an illegal system in place but were too inept in 2016 to make it pay, the fact the 2016 squad was built thenprevious 2 years using this illegal system seems to have escaped Greenberg!

Perth Red

Post Whore
So Paul Kent was also on League Life last night f**k it's pretty obvious his f**king agenda....

No he was asked the question by a Storm fan in audience then probed gently by the panel. They let him off lightly as no one questioned the real issue, which is “ is it ok to set up cheating systems as long as you’re not over the cap?”

Generalzod

Immortal
No he was asked the question by a Storm fan in audience then probed gently by the panel. They let him off lightly as no one questioned the real issue, which is “ is it ok to set up cheating systems as long as you’re not over the cap?”
The Gospel according to Paul Kent...

But they did have a system in place to cheat the cap, the fact they couldnt even get that right and get enough money into that cheating system to go over the cap surely should be irrelevant?
Or is the nrl saying it is ok to have illegal tpa agreement systems in place as long as it doesn’t put you over the cap? Kent has gone on hard on this all week and no one has refuted it, suggesting it is correct that sharks had an illegal system in place but were too inept in 2016 to make it pay, the fact the 2016 squad was built thenprevious 2 years using this illegal system seems to have escaped Greenberg!
Hmm I thought the ramped up attempt to breach anything was 2017?

Yes small breaches found including that the club reported in 2013-15 but again we don’t know what or how, however the real thought out attempt was apparently 2017 and all related to an what the NRL said was an attempt. They themselves said not acted upon.

So all we really know is some breaches, some reported, some found and an attempt or plan that wasn’t acted upon. Is that about it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hmm I thought the ramped up attempt to breach anything was 2017?

Yes small breaches found including that the club reported in 2013-15 but again we don’t know what or how, however the real thought out attempt was apparently 2017 and all related to an what the NRL said was an attempt. They themselves said not acted upon.

So all we really know is some breaches, some reported, some found and an attempt or plan that wasn’t acted upon. Is that about it?

Well Kent has been very clear and forthright in calling out that the tpa cheating systems were in place and operational in 2016. Neither the sharks or nrl has come out and challenged this. I wonder why?

In the mean time another very ugly annual report is showing the the rivers of gold still aren’t flowing fast enough,

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/8d9da55a677b2467f56addfae6283a88

SBD82

Coach
Does anyone know what happens to the NRL grant if clubs don’t spend the full amount? Is it returned to the NRL?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does anyone know what happens to the NRL grant if clubs don’t spend the full amount? Is it returned to the NRL?

Do you mean the salary cap component? Grant is $13mill, cap $10mill. My understanding is that cubs have to spend at least 90% of cap amount, Did the football cap ever come In?

SBD82

Coach
Do you mean the salary cap component? Grant is $13mill, cap $10mill. My understanding is that cubs have to spend at least 90% of cap amount, Did the football cap ever come In?
Yep. The cap component.

Do you know what the penalty is for not spending 90%?

myrrh ken

First Grade
The real vice of unregistered TPAs is if they are used as a mechanism to breach the salary cap.

If no breach, then a slap on the wrist is all that's required.

No harm, no foul.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The real vice of unregistered TPAs is if they are used as a mechanism to breach the salary cap.

If no breach, then a slap on the wrist is all that's required.

No harm, no foul.

Haha, maybe we should take same approach to drug cheating, only punish players if it actually makes them better?

Well Kent has been very clear and forthright in calling out that the tpa cheating systems were in place and operational in 2016. Neither the sharks or nrl has come out and challenged this. I wonder why?

In the mean time another very ugly annual report is showing the the rivers of gold still aren’t flowing fast enough,

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/8d9da55a677b2467f56addfae6283a88
Lost me right at “Kent”

What he is the expert?

Show proof that the Sharks has a systematic cheating scheme in place until the 2017 time line the NRL spoke about? You know the one where they said it was clear there was intent, even if the Sharks didn’t go ahead with it.

Maybe Todd isn’t saying anything because the Sharks are in the shit for more the stupidity of their attempt or intent, than anything else

As for the annual report. Who cares, it will change and the rivers of gold all clubs get from the NRL will continue to roll in

Latest posts