What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cheating the Salary Cap?

BunniesMan

Immortal
If theres no testing available then how does this asada prosecute?

Last I heard with any legal system, you are innocent until proven guilty and then to be proven guilty you need evidence

All the evidence they have is with the merkin who is now at parramatta, the dog who is covering his own ass.
Testing is not the only way to get the evidence. Many people have lost Olympic medals without any failed test.

Patorick

Staff member
Fair enough

I will not put my support however to an investigation lead by a sports minister looking to make himself look good and more than likely using this platform to cover up another masssive f**k up by this tits on a bull govt
art-353-lundy-300x0.jpg

Not only can she not part her hair properly, but her fringe looks like its going bold...

It's a she? Was getting confused reading some of this stuff.

Lots of opinions. Interesting stuff.

Bottom line. If they have the evidence sanction the players that they can and let's get on with whatever happens next.

If players deliberately cheat, ban them for life.

Just over all this wait and bloody see crap.

The ADSA bloke has said this is a blueprint for what's coming at a few other clubs in both NRL and AFL. Circus will continue for some time it seems.

Oh and Perth Red, thank you for your kind words to Sharks fans. Just one thing, read somewhere NRL might take the opportunity to try and get the Sharks moved to Perth in 4 years. Will be happy to welcome you on board supporting your new local team. Xx

magpie4ever

First Grade
Fair enough

I will not put my support however to an investigation lead by a sports minister looking to make himself look good and more than likely using this platform to cover up another masssive f**k up by this tits on a bull govt

Dude, the sports ministers have tits - both Kate Lundy (Federal) and Graham Annesley (State - although, he shouldn't).:shock:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/sh...er-the-spotlight/story-fndujljl-1226594347099

Shark player's top-up payments from sponsor under the spotlight

Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
March 10, 2013 11:30PM

CRONULLA's former venue security provider made direct payments to a Sharks player in the belief the arrangement was being properly declared to the NRL.

As salary cap auditor Ian Schubert investigates the payments, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Sharks officials requested E Group Security to top up the salary of a player for the past two years.

The undisclosed figure was paid to the player across 2011 and 2012.

So long as they are correctly disclosed and registered as third-party or marquee deals, such payments are permitted under the NRL salary cap.

The concern is that Sharks officials failed to declare these payments while they were ongoing, with chairman Damian Irvine only contacting Schubert early this year to inform the NRL of a potential oversight.

E Group has also begun moves to sue Cronulla for breach of contract after the club decided not to honour the final two years of their security deal for Sharks Stadium in favour of a rival security firm.

E Group boss Sami Chamoun last night said he was of the belief the player payments were above board.

They were recorded in E Group's security contract as a sponsorship contribution, which the company has honoured and paid to the player on instructions from the club.

"We were asked to provide support for a player and we did so in the natural belief the club would declare it to the NRL," Chamoun said. "I can't say whether or not that was done because that's the club's responsibility, not ours."

Cronulla last night released a statement that described the wrangle as a "small paperwork issue".

"The Sharks informed the salary cap auditor of a small paperwork issue relating to a third-party agreement," the Cronulla club statement read. When contacted before last night's kick-off, Irvine angrily denied there was any substantial issue at hand.

And when pressed about direct player payments from sponsors, he refused to comment about the Sharks and abruptly hung up.

The NRL yesterday confirmed that Schubert was investigating the payments.

magpie4ever

First Grade
A farcical investigation at best, its a joke if you cant see that then theres no hope, just another incompitent govt organisation.
All they have so far is testimony from a dog who is just covering his ass, theres no positive test results we know about, actually theres not much.

The so called commission acting idly while this is happening is farcical. Demetriou is a merkin but at least he sticks up for his game.

And this person has the right to vote - F**k me.:sarcasm:

roboshark

Coach
We have been well under the cap for past few years so I don't get this. It's the least of our worries

Tone83

Juniors
Lol this makes no sense, I always assumed they couldn't afford to get near the cap because they have one good player where other teams have several, some many. Sharks are an nsw cup team without gal.

thorson1987

Coach
We have been well under the cap for past few years so I don't get this. It's the least of our worries

It's not going over the cap. The problem is allegedly the player got payments from the security mob that weren't declared to the NRL.

Not a massive breach, would be just a fine from the NRL

Frailty

First Grade
It's not going over the cap. The problem is allegedly the player got payments from the security mob that weren't declared to the NRL.

Not a massive breach, would be just a fine from the NRL

Thank you for some common sense.

Seriously, every year clubs fines are shown for breaches - it is this sort of stuff.

It is not systematic cheating, and it is not a real concern for the club.

firechild

First Grade
Undeclared payments are more serious than breaches that are routinely handed out due to rep payments, payments due to injuries (i.e. payments to players outside the 25 man squad) and other unexpected things but I still don't think this is in the Storm, Bulldogs or even Warriors category.