What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks & Dragons swap Kimmorley & Gorrell?

Steel Dragon

Bench
for the love of god i hope youre wrong.

besides we need a 5/8 not another halfback.
GOz is much better for us than kimwhorely

borat

Bench
Whatever you think about Kimmorley does anyone here seriously beleive Matt Head will last a whole season? Because I have no confidence whatsoever, and this time instead of having Barrett to take over playmaking responsibility we will have Gaz.

Gorrell for Kimorley would be a dream come true, particularly if the Sharks are still paying the majority of his wage.

The Preacher

First Grade
For some reason they don't want to keep Gorrell, and, as I said on another thread, Kimmorley and his family were at Win for the Warriors game.
What Borat says about Head may be right, then again, it may be crazy (hehe), but as long as Kimmorly doesn't play that f**ken superflat style, the bloke CAN play football. I know we can't change or influence the decisions being made at present, so until AGM time, let's just roll with the punches and see what we're left with. :?

borat

Bench
Whether its Kimorley or not IMO we need a back up half in reggies or on the bench. I am a huge Matt Head fan but if he injuries his extremely dodgy knee in pre-season we are absolutely f**ked next year. Hornby/Barrett combo works quite well but a Hornby/Gaz combo, I don't think so. If we got Kimorley on a 1 yr deal which was funded mostly by the sharks its the way to go. The only other backup half we have is Caine who also has a bung knee.

Gorrell is a great club man and an honest toiler but he isn't going to win us a premiership. I would like to keep him but with Woolford, Caine & Young we already have plenty of depth at Hooker.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Kimmorley is damn interesting rumour and actually one of the few which makes sense. There is room for him in the halves, just a question of how he is coached.

He'll be a lot cheaper than when he mucked us around a few years back - he was eventually told to shove off in those negotiations. Since then he's been through the wringer and no doubt learnt from that.

I rated him highly when he first started out in Melbourne, but I think this business of coaches and club officials pandering to him became detrimental to his game. Perhaps its fair to say we've seen the worst of him at the Sharks?

Steel Dragon

Bench
Well he'll be hard pressed to have a worse year than this year.

Why is it that my team is insisting we sign all the players in the comp i hate!?!?!?

Thank goodness we didnt make a play for Finch....

ghoti

Bench
He's been average for 4 of the 5 years he's been with us and I can't see him getting any better at Cronulla. The move just might be good for him and I'll be supporting it all the way. You only have to look at the last Ashes tour to see how good Kimmorley can be.

I'd be VERY happy with the swap and think it will be a great move for the both of us.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
ghoti said:
You only have to look at the last Ashes tour to see how good Kimmorley can be.
Indeed, he absolutely killed the poms. We know how good he can be if the circumstances permit. IMO, its just a question of getting him behind the right pack.

Inferno

Coach
I can't see why the hell we would let him got for anything less than 2/3 - 3/4 of his contract paid.

I know Gorell is a quality player, and he ended up 2nd or 3rd in the overall tackle count, but how many games did he start this year?

If its true it would add even more spice to the local derby next year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Gorrell appeared in 26 of the 27 first grade matches on offer in 2006.
He kicked 55 goals and scored 5 tries and was the Dragons top points scorer for the first grade.

Personally, I don't want to see him go. Apparently there is some question over his 'one dimensional' style from dummy half and that seemed to be case at the beginning of this year as well. But quite frankly I think he has been doing a good job of mixing it up of late and is becoming a more complete football player.

Godz Illa said:
Only if its for peanuts and the Sharks pay half. Otherwise I'd prefer Chris Sheppard.

That bloke is dreadful, he has no idea how to read the play and poor ball skills.

Give Kimmorley a positive environment unlike what he has @ the Sharks, and a good forward pack and you may be rewarded by seeing him back to his pre-sharks form if his confidence can return.

Plus as Borat said, Head is highly unlikely to play a full season and IMO u'll be lucky to get 15 games all year.

This Year?

Immortal
I always thought Goz was pretty good as well. The Dragons need a back up hooker for when Woolford gets suspended or runs out of puff. I would hate to see him swapped for Brett "Oh no, not another intercept pass" Kimmorley. Also, Goz can tackle.

This Year? said:
The Dragons need a back up hooker for when Woolford gets suspended or runs out of puff.

Dean Young would most likely cover that if it eventuates.

At first I thought "Oh God No, not Noddy", but the more i think about it the more I'm warming to the idea. Although recent years haven't been kind to him, I reckon in the right environment he could recapture form such as he had on the Kangaroo Tour.

We've got Head and Hornby only ATM who can handle the halves (no - not Gaz, keep him where he is). One injury here and we'll struggle. Indeed if we lose our fullback (possibly Luke MacDougall) then Benny would have to go back to #1.

Although I like the idea of keeping Goz it would have happened by now if it were meant to be. That said, I think Kimmorley taking that role would be ideal. This would also allow a similar halves/hooker rotation that worked quite successfully for us late in the season.

We'd then have Head, Hornby, Woolford, Kimmorley, Young, MacDougall(??) generally covering the key 1, 6, 7, 9 roles throughout the year. That's not a bad lineup IMO.

Godz Illa

Coach
Kimmorley’s best days are well behind him and he is just as injury prone as Head lately. His so-called attacking style depends entirely on a retreating defence created by surrender tackles. Unfortunately the surrender tackle rule has killed his career and subsequently starved the Cronulla outside backs for years – a similar outcome at Saints would be criminal considering the megawatts of talent we have out there. Hornby has proven himself more than capable as a second string halfback, so if we need a third-stringer I have no problem with Sheppard, who has filled in ably in the top grade and consistently performs well in PL.
I know Brownie loves his aging bargain buy pet projects, but backrowers, back-up centres and even hookers are one thing, a halfback is another. Particularly one that can change the shape and identity of a team as readily as Kimmorley.

This Year?

Immortal
Interesting. Kimmorley does go well when the forwards are getting a roll on, and there would be decent 6, 7, 9's to keep pressure off him.

I like your optimism.

At first, I didn't like the idea of Woolford coming to the club but I can see how he would be beneficial to the Saints pack.

Ribs

Bench
The answer should be no.

Kimmorley is a mercenary with no heart whatsoever.

Correction. The answer should be Get F*cked.

BIG SHANE

Juniors
stuff wasting money on kimmorly put the money into timins and keep him if he wants to play on.his form in the finals was awesome.