What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks vs Eels

Daneel

Bench
K Moore has a lot of new recruits to work with.
DA inherited this team and has made it work.
Yes and Moore has his team in the top 4 and Andersons team isn't even in the 8. I still think ando is doing a great job but Moore still had to gel an almost completely new side together and did it from day dot.

caylo

Bench
K Moore has done well with a unknown pack almost and an "over-the-hill" halfback and "up-and-down" 5-8 (he has been just better then Bennet IMO)

Bennet has added alot of belief in a quality team, but he has done very well for players like Weyman, Poore and Soward who all had potential but were yet to produce the goods. (he has been up with Moore)

Anderson has lost players like KK and Mateo but did have a slower start to the season then Moore or Bennett (maybe due to his later start), he has got players like Hindy, Cayless, Fui and Hayne to produce their best and in the last 4-5 weeks we have been up there with the best in the comp.

spartan

Juniors
another win on the boards,finals footy a real possibility now with the knights game massive

Suitman

Post Whore
:lol: I'm with you on both tbh Belly...Lowrie has been going well today, he's been going forward where Hindy has been monstered and Brod is one I would also have liked to see kept. Just as good as Mannah at this stage, yet he gets no wraps at all :crazy:

There you go Belly.
If Bazal agrees with you, then you're definitely having a shocker.

Suity

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol...even subtle trolling won't draw me out today, let alone blatant efforts... :p

slippery_sucker

Juniors
Eels wary of finals talk as Sharks become latest scalp
August 2, 2009 - 6:11PM
eels-sharks200-200x0.jpg
Daniel Mortimer of the Eels is upended by the Cronulla Sharks defence at Toyota Stadium. Photo: Getty Images

Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson and his players will not admit it, but the NRL finals, for so long this season nothing more than a pipe dream, are now a distinct possibility.
Today's 30-0 drubbing of a Cronulla side with more injuries that a whole series of All Saints, made it three wins on the spin for the Eels and saw them climb to within three points of eighth-placed Newcastle, who they host next week.
A brace of tries from the irrepressible Jarryd Hayne and Joel Reddy, with Krisnan Inu also crossing in the whitewash, helped the Eels brush aside a game, but limited a Sharks side whose lack of firepower was once again exposed at Toyota Stadium.
Five goals from Luke Burt added the gloss to a powerful performance that delighted Anderson, who admitted he has been surprised by his side's recent run of form.
"We are accumulating some points, we are going to have to keep producing milestones week after week if we are to really make a charge, but we are being rewarded week by week with consistent performances," Anderson said.
"I am a fraction surprised at our form I have to admit, I didn't think we were playing well enough to generate consistency over 80 minutes week after week.
"I never wrote us off, but I thought we would have to do something that we haven't done all year.
"We have done that now, won three in a row, next week we have to do it again and win four in a row, but it is not beyond us."
Hayne scored a try in either half and had a hand in both of Reddy's with the centre's second coming after a 90-metre burst from the the NSW fullback that split the Sharks defence apart.
Anderson said despite Hayne's performance, he needed some encouragement from the coaching box to get more involved.
"He sort of comes into the game, handles the ball 20-odd times, scores a couple of tries and runs for a couple of hundred metres," said Anderson.
"We had to send a message out to him to get more of the ball. We want that from him and his teammates do too.
"Today the game went around him a bit but he can break games open and he did that. We have set a very high expectation benchmark of Jarryd Hayne and he stepped up to it today."
Sharks coach Ricky Stuart made no excuses for his side's defeat and admitted it was one of their poorer performances of a difficult season that sees them remain second-last on the ladder ahead of Sydney Roosters due to a superior for and against.
"We were poor, the players are trying but we just didn't have the ability," Stuart said.
"We were the flattest I have seen us all season and the lemon is just about dry, we have five weeks to salvage our pride, today wasn't acceptable."
"Out of 25 players I have available, the number of players I have injured would be in double figures," he said.
"But we have to get on with it, I have to find a way of changing things."
Stuart said he may also have to rest some of his younger players for the trip to Brisbane next week.
"I am not going to burn players out for results at this stage of the season, I can't be too hard on them because they are just learning to be first grade players."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...sharks-become-latest-scalp-20090802-e5q5.html

Eels keep finals flame flickering

Posted 2 hours 7 minutes ago
Updated 2 hours 6 minutes ago
Hayne was again instrumental for the Eels with two tries and one assist. (Getty Images: Mark Kolbe)

A Jarryd Hayne-inspired Parramatta has kept its slim hopes of finals football alive with a comprehensive 30-0 thrashing of Cronulla at Shark Park.
The slippery skills of Hayne combined with the desperation of the Eels' goal-line defence and helped deliver Parramatta its third straight win to move to 11th, within three points of the top eight.
Hayne and form centre Joel Reddy picked up one try each in both halves with Krisnan Inu jogging on the spot to score the Eels' other.
Despite dominating 57 per cent of possession, including 62 per cent in the first half, the Eels won the game on the back of some tenacious work inside their own half against a willing Cronulla side.
Reddy said the clean sheet will help Parramatta as it pushes for an unlikely finals berth following an upset win over the Dogs last week.
"That's probably the most pleasing aspect of the game, keeping them to nil," he told Fox Sports.
"They did throw a lot at us, we had to defend our line for quite a long time.
"I think [coach] Daniel Anderson will be quite happy with the defence."
Reddy has recaptured a damaging combination with partner Eric Grothe in the latter part of the season and says the whole side is taking a more aggressive approach.
"We are being more aggressive and really putting it to teams," he said.
"We fell away from that towards the middle of the season.
"We've really picked that up, training hard, short passes and running hard."
Reddy scored the first of the game with a sensational finish in the corner after an off-load from Grothe, before Hayne barged his way over from dummy half to give the visitors a 10-0 half-time lead.
Luke Burt was the beneficiary of a lucky bounce from a Daniel Mortimer kick which he flicked back to a waiting Inu only five minutes from the restart to all but end the contest.
Hayne then cut through some sloppy defence with ease and set up another for Reddy.
The Sharks were gallant all afternoon but struggled to find the class and cohesion in the attacking third without injured pivot Trent Barrett.
Hardworking pair Nathan Hindmarsh and Todd Lowrie were also outstanding for the Eels.
Parramatta now hosts the Knights and Warriors in the next fortnight to keep its season alive.

Eels: 30 (J Hayne 2, J Reddy 2, K Inu tries; L Burt 4/5 conversions, 1/1 penalty)

Sharks: 0

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/02/2643471.htm?site=news

Eels make it three in a row

Published: 6:06PM Sunday August 02, 2009

Jarryd Hayne was once again the inspiration for in-form Parramatta as the Eels chalked up a 30-0 victory over an injury-hit Cronulla at Toyota Stadium on Sunday to keep alive their NRL finals aspirations.
Hayne and Joel Reddy ran in two tries apiece with Krisnan Inu also crossing the in whitewash as Daniel Anderson's side sealed a third successive win in front of a crowd of 12,246.
The NSW fullback had a hand in the Eels' opening score after just seven minutes when his offload to Eric Grothe found its way into the hands of Reddy who did well to dive over and score in the corner.
The Sharks welcomed back Paul Gallen after a month-long injury layoff but the absence of injured five-eighth Trent Barrett proved telling as they failed to find a way past some brilliant Parramatta defence.
The home side repelled a wave of Parramatta attacks for the next 30 minutes until Hayne darted over from dummy half for his 11th try of the season.
Burt's kick gave the Eels a 10-0 lead at the break.
The Eels scored the first points of the second period, somewhat against the run of play, when Matt Keating's kick outfoxed Nathan Stapleton and fell into the path of Inu who strolled over the line in the 46th minute.
Advertisement

That try knocked the stuffing out of the Sharks and the Eels extended their lead further when Hayne (63rd minute) grabbed his second try after powering his way past three tacklers to score with Burt adding the extras.
Burt's penalty goal made the score 24-0 by the 67th minute but the Eels weren't finished with the irrepressible Hayne once again the creator for Reddy's second after a 90-metre run five minutes from time.
A miserable day for the Sharks was compounded with more injuries with Stapleton, Reece Williams and Scott Porter all limping off

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/eels-ignite-against-sharks-2882699

slippery_sucker

Juniors
Sharks 24 – Eels 18 – Full Time in Toyota Cup
Ross Smart
Pirtek Parramatta Eels Media

Sunday, August 02, 2009
00000500-image.jpg

The Pirtek Parramatta Eels left their run too late in the Toyota Cup, losing 24-18 to the Sharks at Toyota Stadium.
The Eels fought their way back from a 22 point deficit to remain in the hunt heading into the final ten minutes, only to be undone by a passionate defensive effort from the last-placed Sharks.
The win was just the Sharks fourth of the season – and their first since round five – bringing down the curtain on a 13 week winless streak.
The successful return of prop Mitchel Johnson from appendicitis was the only highlight to come for the Eels in a first half that saw them slump to trail 22-nil by the break.
Sharks captain Luke Latham was everywhere for the home side in the opening stanza, laying the platform for halfback Chad Townsend to score and convert for a six-nil lead after 19 minutes.
They’d double the advantage five minutes later, prop Ahmad Allaz barging over to score under the posts.
And when Latham again turned the tables on his former club, scoring the Sharks third try 12 minutes out from half time, the Eels were on the rack at 18-nil down.
Nothing was going right for the Eels, who lost fullback Nathan Gardner just before half time with a hamstring strain.
A further try to second rower Trent Grubb put the Sharks ahead by 22-nil at the break.
Needing to strike early and often in the second half, the Eels got the first part of the equation right when Boyd Brown burrowed over to open the scoring for the visitors.
TK Amosa’s conversion made it 22-6 after 47 minutes.
Rory Brien then crossed two minutes later and the contest was alive with the Eels trailing by less than two converted tries.
The Sharks defence then came to the fore, the Eels unable to draw closer despite having a wealth of possession inside the home side’s 20 metre zone.
A Townsend penalty goal put the Sharks 12 clear at 24-12 with five minutes left to play, however the Eels went the length of the field in two plays for Ryan Morgan to score.
It would prove the final score of the match, the Sharks holding on to take a deserved victory.
TOYOTA CUP
Sharks 24
(Chad Townsend, Ahmad Allaz, Luke Latham, Trent Grubb tries; Chad Townsend 4 goals from 5 attempts) defeated the Pirtek Parramatta Eels 18 (Boyd Brown, Rory Brien, Ryan Morgan tries; TK Amosa 3 goals from 3 attempts) At Toyota Park. Half Time: Sharks 22-nil.

http://www.parraeels.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=18910

Latest posts