What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Withdraw From The Race To Sign Lote

Inferno

Coach
The Sharks have announced that they have withdrawn their interest in regards to attempting to sign Rugby Union international Lote Tuqiri.

The Sharks have been active in discussions with Tuqiri and his business manager Les Ross for some time, however due to ongoing complications involving the ARU negotiations, the Sharks decided they were no longer willing to participate in the bidding process.

The Sharks have announced that they have withdrawn their interest in regards to attempting to sign Rugby Union international Lote Tuqiri.

The Sharks have been active in discussions with Tuqiri and his business manager Les Ross for some time, however due to ongoing complications involving the ARU negotiations, the Sharks decided they were no longer willing to participate in the bidding process.

“Respectfully, we explained to Les Ross that we would withdraw from the race,” Sharks CEO Greg Pierce said. “We were getting a clear message that Lote is still very interested in remaining in rugby union and we are not in a position to compete with them financially.

“All the negotiations were professionally handled by Les and Lote, but we have reached a stage where we need to move on. We have other players Ricky (Stuart) is keen to re-sign, plus the season is about to begin so our energies would be better placed elsewhere.”

Tuqiri is currently playing for the NSW Waratahs in the Super 14 Rugby Union competition and is a dual international, having previously played for the Kangaroos in rugby league before making the switch to rugby union.

Interest in securing her services has come from the Waratahs and the Queensland Reds, and in rugby league, from the South Sydney Club. This week he was offered a base salary of $2.7 million over four years by the Australian Rugby Union.

The Sharks interest in Tuqiri was genuine, however the money being offered by rugby, with financial and salary cap restraints, made it almost impossible for them to match the offers being tabled.

Stuart and Pierce will now begin negotiations with a number of the talented young Sharks players in the hope of tying them to the Sharks for the next few years.

On Wednesday Paul Gallen signed a four-year deal to remain at the Sharks, for an amount said to be less than what was offered at a rival club.

source: http://www.sharks.com.au/index.php?id=48&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=404&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=bf1589451b

Apart from Dykes, Kimmorley, Williams and Simmons who else is off contract. Loo Loo I think from memory, anyone else?

Also this should give us someone decent money to go after someone else, O'Meley?

Macca

Coach
I am tipping he's talking about youngsters like Robinson, Nielson, Brown, Selmes, Douglas, Timani etc etc

Upgrades and Newies.

Surely

Post Whore
I'd say someone better has come into calculations, all the talk about signing lote, money to spend etc, and now they are just going to spend it on juniors, I don't thinks so.

Macca

Coach
Oh I am sure we will target a classy outside back, but now we can sign all our juniours aswell.

Not getting Lote will open up an array of possibilities.

Lote would have been great but we can still do well in the market.

Genius Freak

Juniors
Not unless we want to play him at centre.

And want to pay half a million a year for an oft injured hack.

Go Nulla

Bench
Lote wasnt worth $700+ a year anyway. No loss for a winger anyway. I'd be wanting a young Andrew Johns for that kind of money.

bluey

Bench
Its obvious the general feeling was to much money and i agree.
Ah well its all over now bring on sonny bill or some young halves, a centre or two would be ok as well.

El Coconuto

Bench
Hmmmmmmmmm, that's interesting. There's no way Lote was worth that much, but he would've definately pushed the back line to another level. I'd be surprised if (with the upcoming cap space in the next twelve months) a big gun didn't announce he was on his way to the Sharks. Hopefully it won't be SBW, and I severely doubt it will...

sharknows

Bench
Lote hasn't played his cards very well at all. All this has cost him a considerably reduced ARU contract. Greed is a wonderful thing isn't it. If he goes to Souths it means there is a lot of money going under the table.
I am pleased about the decision. Ricky has shown intention to develop our junior talent and has already set programs in place. I am all for buying some good players where needed but lets not get into a situation where we pay overs for a couple of "superstars" with the overall team weakened because we couldn't afford enough quality players to support them.

Inferno

Coach
sydneysharkbrisbane68 said:
How long Iosia Sioliola contract left at roosters, he is one of ricky's boy maybe he will be a target, and a very classy centre he is.

Just signed a new contract and won't be free till 2010 :(

spider

Coach
just watching ch 9 late news and GP was on.

his words - "we dont believe Lote was as keen to come back to League as he made out to be".

interesting comments. Why say that knowing souths will table a fair offer.

you would think Lote may just chase the big dollars - either way im glad i never put money on where he was going.

i had him remaining at the Tah's - lol