What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson

Izz

Bench
Dont know if its shown on tv but Johnson and Mateo have huge blowups while awaiting conversions the last 2 homegames.

Somethings not right...
Looks like Johnson's being a princess, to me. He needs to harden the hell up and take control of this team when we've got the ball. Right now Mateo's playing halfback most of the time. Though, i'm not sure if Mateo's letting Johnson play half.

Also, this is his first full season in FG. Last season he was injured for most of the first half, and the season before he spent a lot of time on the sidelines for the U20s. I think he's fatiguing.

TheDMC

Bench
While Johnson certainly not impressive of late, the team's lethargy made it near impossible for him. Playmakers (especially ones that skip across the face of the defenders like Johnson and Benji) need runners constantly hitting good lines, both outside and in, and at speed. Everyone just standing around today, utterly hopeless.

While gutted about today, a feeling of relief too, I can now officially let go of this abysmal season and focus on other more worthwhile pursuits. We can blame bluey all we like, but our squad is quite rubbish really. Not enough hard nosed pros, especially in the backs. Forwards okay. Backs abysmal. And it won't get much better with an offseason. The talent is not there. Hindspect is a great thing and stating the obvious, but man we could've done with Lance and Krisnan...probably would've been sitting at 5th or 6th.

Izz

Bench
Though, i'm not sure if Mateo's letting Johnson play half
I should clarify this: i'm not sure if Mateo's playing half because Johnson's not and someone has to, or if Mateo's playing half because Johnson isn't getting the team to respond to him (because players are running off Mateo just fine--but they don't seem to be bothered when Johnson has the ball), or if Mateo's overcalling Johnson and Johnson is trying to play half but isn't being allowed to.

Maybe it's a combination of all three.

I think fatigue is a big part of it for Johnson, and he's still learning to play through the niggles veterans play through all season. And when a team isn't going well, there's going to be clashes.

_addict

Juniors
Dont know if its shown on tv but Johnson and Mateo have huge blowups while awaiting conversions the last 2 homegames.

Somethings not right...
I can't recall what those two did, but Manu certainly didn't have any. He stood there with the team sayin' nuttin'. Although he played well, that irked me.

Last edited:

_addict

Juniors
While Johnson certainly not impressive of late, the team's lethargy made it near impossible for him. Playmakers (especially ones that skip across the face of the defenders like Johnson and Benji) need runners constantly hitting good lines, both outside and in, and at speed. Everyone just standing around today, utterly hopeless.

While gutted about today, a feeling of relief too, I can now officially let go of this abysmal season and focus on other more worthwhile pursuits. We can blame bluey all we like, but our squad is quite rubbish really. Not enough hard nosed pros, especially in the backs. Forwards okay. Backs abysmal. And it won't get much better with an offseason. The talent is not there. Hindspect is a great thing and stating the obvious, but man we could've done with Lance and Krisnan...probably would've been sitting at 5th or 6th.
On attack we're standing at least three paces too flat. Is it lack of awareness, laziness, coaching, or a combination?

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
On attack we're standing at least three paces too flat. Is it lack of awareness, laziness, coaching, or a combination?

And an opposition defender often seems to rush up, catch our guy, and kill our movement dead.

Back in the good 'ol days a good sidestep would make that defender look like a fool, create a gap and voila! four possible points.*

*wish it was that easy.

hitman82

Bench
Looks like Johnson's back injury might be plaguing him again. Bearing in mind from the start of this season it was a "try to manage it and hope it stays ok" situation.

what ever

Juniors
Looks like Johnson's back injury might be plaguing him again. Bearing in mind from the start of this season it was a "try to manage it and hope it stays ok" situation.

Well if he is having trouble he should not be playing!! And just checked the team for this week -and he in so it is not that.

hitro

Juniors

He certainly made no attempt to chase down Carney in that kick intercept, or show any footwork when he had a little space out on the wing in the second half

vvvrulz

Coach
How bad is our fitness this year? Players consistently out, others playing carrying an injury. I can understand a few injuries over a season but this is ridiculous.

ozbash

Referee
Dunno, maybe panic, taking wrong options etc could be seen as a lack of fitness..

Maybe they lack mental stamina ?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
In 2010 we had a big problem with the 2nd half efforts like how the Warriors have been, Hasler put that down to the pre season fitness work they did, overhauled that and went back to old school off season techniques and it reaped the rewards, maybe the Warriors need something similar

ozbash

Referee
In 2010 we had a big problem with the 2nd half efforts like how the Warriors have been, Hasler put that down to the pre season fitness work they did, overhauled that and went back to old school off season techniques and it reaped the rewards, maybe the Warriors need something similar

I think we started the season too bulky. I recall a season Daniel Anderson did the same thing and it backfired.

Eg Lillyman at the Harbour trial when he ripped his arm ( v Manly ) , he looked like the Goodyear blimp.

hitman82

Bench
I think we started the season too bulky. I recall a season Daniel Anderson did the same thing and it backfired.

Eg Lillyman at the Harbour trial when he ripped his arm ( v Manly ) , he looked like the Goodyear blimp.

Yeah Lillyman's injury was a classic injury for a heavy bench presser. You've seen those gym hulks who walk around looking like their shoulders are pulled forward? That's from too much emphasis on bench pressing and not enough back work and mobility work. It tightens the pectorals and leads to easy strains and injuries under stress... such as having your arm wrenched while making a tackle. That's exactly what happened to big Jake.