What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Not no more imports, I doubt that was said? I think it was said that we'd like to rely on them less, maybe pick up 1 or 2 in key positions but that's it. Look nationally before internationally.

hitman82

Bench
What they said is no more imports are on the agenda for this season, and for future import signings they will only look at players of "exceptional" quality, or who would bring traits none of our existing NRL/NYC/NSWRL players offer.

hitman82

Bench
Looks like Nielsen got in just in time.

I think he falls into the second category - he brings aspects none of our NRL/NYC/NSWRL players currently do: he's an experienced (92 games) centre/wing with origin honours (3), who is defensively strong and can set up his winger. We currently struggle big time for experience, consistency and injury cover in these positions - he was a very logical signing.

kos

Juniors
I dont understand the Maloney bashing-maybe I,m missing something.
However lets see how Jimmy goes at Eastern Suburbs feeding or running off SBW.

vvvrulz

Coach
I dont understand the Maloney bashing-maybe I,m missing something.
However lets see how Jimmy goes at Eastern Suburbs feeding or running off SBW.

Every season needs a scapegoat, and this year its *cool* to hate Maloney.

MKEB...

Staff member
Fair Enough...I didnt really rate Maloney last year either bar his goalkicking.

jaseg

Juniors
Every season needs a scapegoat, and this year its *cool* to hate Maloney.

Yeah could be that... of course it could also be the small fact that Maloney has had a very disappointing season. Sorry but it's true - he's probably the worst defender in the NRL (and seems to be getting worse), his goalkicking has become average (missing some seriously important ones), he's had multiple awful days with his general play kicking game and hasn't been making the same amount of breaks as last season.

vvvrulz

Coach
Yeah could be that... of course it could also be the small fact that Maloney has had a very disappointing season. Sorry but it's true - he's probably the worst defender in the NRL (and seems to be getting worse), his goalkicking has become average (missing some seriously important ones), he's had multiple awful days with his general play kicking game and hasn't been making the same amount of breaks as last season.

He's been on and off in my opinion, and its a bit unfair to point at Maloney when several others haven't been up to it this year. Ropati and Fish were awful, Manu had a couple of his trademarks shockers, Hurrell, Henry and Topou have suspect defence, Brown has been poor.

As for the whole missed tackles thing, a lot of that is because he attempts to make a tackle after those around him have already mucked it up or weren't even able to lay a hand on the attacker. Similarly Taylors huge 'tackle count' comes down to having a piece of every tackle regardless if others have already made it.

NRL stats really don't mean much.

Rich102

Staff member
Yeah. That's why he is number 3 on the Top Pointscorers list, number 2 on the Top Goalkickers list and 6 on the Kick Metres list.
Oh, and 1 on the Missed Tackles list.
How many games has he missed since he has been with us? How much talking and organising?

Aragorn

First Grade
Yeah. That's why he is number 3 on the Top Pointscorers list, number 2 on the Top Goalkickers list and 6 on the Kick Metres list.
How many games has he missed since he has been with us? How much talking and organising?

someone in this forum told me stats are about as useful as a pole to a drunk - good for support but unlikely to get you home.... :lol:

jaseg

Juniors

I'd be more interested to see the % stats for goalkicking rather than the actual numbers, seeing as how that is blatantly skewed towards kickers who take more kicks (as you say, he doesn't often miss games - not one this season I believe...). Maloney takes more kicks (deja vu, I've been over this in another thread) as, of the 5 top attacking teams in the comp (we are tied 3rd for tries scored with Souths & Cowboys, with Storm & Dogs above), only he and Adam Reynolds have played and kicked in every game (Reynolds is one of the players above him). That's still not a perfect comparison as it doesn't take into account the position of the kicks - do we really score that many sideline tries compared to other teams, taking into account our shocking inability to get our wingers in space often enough? (great organising I guess? :p)

Similar criticism of the kick metres stat - if it were kick metres PER GAME I would be much more impressed... or even better, avg metres per kick (Maloney has been taking quite a lot of our long kicks, with Johnson taking a higher proportion of the short kicks close to the line).

Listen, he's had good games and games in which he was decent, I don't deny that - but he's had some absolute shockers as well, and on the whole it just hasn't been a good season for him. I don't understand how people can't see that; "oh there's a bandwagon" is not a valid counter-argument.

jaseg

Juniors
He's been on and off in my opinion, and its a bit unfair to point at Maloney when several others haven't been up to it this year. Ropati and Fish were awful, Manu had a couple of his trademarks shockers, Hurrell, Henry and Topou have suspect defence, Brown has been poor.

As for the whole missed tackles thing, a lot of that is because he attempts to make a tackle after those around him have already mucked it up or weren't even able to lay a hand on the attacker. Similarly Taylors huge 'tackle count' comes down to having a piece of every tackle regardless if others have already made it.

NRL stats really don't mean much.

You're completely right about the others - but my argument was simply that Maloney didn't have a good season, not that everyone else had good ones. I get the missed tackles thing also - but you don't rack up that many without having a problem, regardless of those factors. Anyway, I was making more of a qualitative judgement on defensive misreads than an observation of the stats in that case - the stats just highlight a further issue.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Something has changed big time in Johnson's game, he is playing away from his strengths completely

He doesn't run the ball at all anymore, all his off the cuff plays are gone and with the foot it is just bomb to Manu on the last

He is a way better player than just a distributor and a bomber

hitro

Juniors
His game today was shocking and a massive contribution to the thrashing. Is he injured? He got several half chances where he simply jogged forward and fell on the ground. if there's something wrong with him perhaps Godinet should have played.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
He's been a passenger for the last month. Take out his scoring tries of Martel and their isn't much about his game you'd call first grade quality.

ozbash

Referee
Dont know if its shown on tv but Johnson and Mateo have huge blowups while awaiting conversions the last 2 homegames.

Somethings not right...

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Does Ben Henry taking the conversion indicate that Locke and Johnson are both carrying leg injuries?

It would certainly explain the way Johnson played today. Look at the first try, Johnson is actually only 3-4 metres behind Carney and doesn't bother chasing. That's either injury or extreme laziness.

Latest posts