What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Kenny-Dowall not guilty of assaulting former partner Jess Peris

darcy

Juniors
SKD...in court tomorrow...

...and reportedly playing on Sunday, good, we're taking our "just because the cops charge a person with a crime doesn't mean they're guilty, many innocent people have been charged and put on trial" and "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" country back.

MarkC

Juniors
SKD...in court tomorrow...

...and reportedly playing on Sunday, good, we're taking our "just because the cops charge a person with a crime doesn't mean they're guilty, many innocent people have been charged and put on trial" and "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" country back.

Good I am glad he is appearing in court, before playing again, that is the correct way to do things.

Hopefully, the court can resolve the issue so if he does play there are no questions left unanswered.

ek999

First Grade
Good I am glad he is appearing in court, before playing again, that is the correct way to do things.

Hopefully, the court can resolve the issue so if he does play there are no questions left unanswered.

Nothing will get resolved tomorrow if he is pleading not guilty. He will enter his plea and then it will be adjourned until a later date - probably in October or November. This is why the NRL shouldn't act on any criminal matter where a player pleads not guilty. If they stand them down straight away pending on the outcome of the trial, they could miss a lot of time on the field for something they did not do.

If he pleads guilty then it is a different matter entirely, he should be stood down straight away and it is then up to the NRL to determine what suspension he serves or if he is completely deregistered

MarkC

Juniors
OK if he pleads not guilty, then I have no problem with him playing.

The NRL can't prejudge the outcome of a court case.

carcharias

Immortal
OK if he pleads not guilty, then I have no problem with him playing.

The NRL can't prejudge the outcome of a court case.

try explaining that to brett stewart

They need to either let every farker awaiting court for anything play or stand them all down.
This one rule for some and another for others is bullshit.

Danish

Referee

They need to either let every farker awaiting court for anything play or stand them all down.

Getting it wrong in the past doesn't mean they have to just continue to get it wrong in the past doesn't mean they have to just continue to f**k it up for all eternity out of some perceived notion of fairness. All players pleading not guilty to a crime since the Brett Stewart days have almost universally been allowed to play up until their verdict.

Where it becomes a little tough is what to do with players who commit acts that are uncouth but not crimes e.g. the fifitas. Becomes much more difficult to give someone due process in those circumstances as there is no 3rd party adjudication to rely on and people expect much quicker responses.

magpie4ever

First Grade

Geez dude, Stewart got 4 weeks for drunk behaviour at a season's launch by that dipshit of an NRLCEO Gallop, not because of the accusation of sexual assault.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
they either stand them all down or let them all play until what ever it is they are accused of has been sorted.

its a shit fight.

this is the NRL. there is no consistency with the refs. there is no consistency with the MRC or judiciary. why do you think there'd be consistency with handling of off-field dramas?

FTR i'm with you. they either all get stood down or all play. if we're going to go off the laws' "supposed" innocent until proven guilty mantra then they should all play if they plead not guilty. will this lead to players lying and later changing their pleas? most likely. but unless there's a system which somehow can evenly take into account various factors i'm not sure what we do otherwise

carcharias

Immortal
this is the NRL. there is no consistency with the refs. there is no consistency with the MRC or judiciary. why do you think there'd be consistency with handling of off-field dramas?

FTR i'm with you. they either all get stood down or all play. if we're going to go off the laws' "supposed" innocent until proven guilty mantra then they should all play if they plead not guilty. will this lead to players lying and later changing their pleas? most likely. but unless there's a system which somehow can evenly take into account various factors i'm not sure what we do otherwise

exactly

let them all play until they are proven guilty.
they get done... so be it.
ban them

Last edited:

AJB1102

First Grade
exactly

let them all play until they are proven guilty.
they get done... so be it.
ban them

So exactly what has happened here?

And from memory Cronulla sacked Greg Bird, the NRL just followed it up with a deregistration to stop him playing against them a fortnight later.

Anyway anything prior to the formation of the ARLC was a different time and we shouldn't continue with shitty decisions just cause thats how we handled it before.

adamkungl

Immortal
Sharks fans are intent on playing the victim despite the fact that it's their club that has made f**k up after f**k up and bends over every time the NRL glances at them.

If SKD played for Cronulla he would have been sacked by now on zero evidence and they'd blame the NRL and the Roosters

Eion

First Grade
Sharks fans are intent on playing the victim despite the fact that it's their club that has made f**k up after f**k up and bends over every time the NRL glances at them.

If SKD played for Cronulla he would have been sacked by now on zero evidence and they'd blame the NRL and the Roosters

Mostly true.

But why have the Sharks bent over and copped it worse than other clubs? Because they have been financially weak, scared and have little or no influence in HQ or the media....something the Roosters and others have enjoyed.

So yes, the Sharks need to be stronger, and with our financial position secured we can start to flex a bit of muscle. But the NRL is at least as pissweak in not governing to equal standards. So, yes, I for one will continue to have the shits with the NRL until the bias stops, and i will also continue to have the shits with the Sharks until they grow some nuts. (Couldn't give a toss what the roosters do or don't do, this is t about them for mine).

magpie4ever

First Grade
And you actually believe that.

Well dude, he didn't get 4 weeks for sexual assault.

I remember that dope of a CEO said it was 4 weeks for bring the game into disrepute by being blind at the Manly's seasons launch and his behaviour there.

elbusto

Coach
Well dude, he didn't get 4 weeks for sexual assault.

I remember that dope of a CEO said it was 4 weeks for bring the game into disrepute by being blind at the Manly's seasons launch and his behaviour there.
And I remember it being in relation to the alleged sexual assault.