What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheens playing footballers out of position

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Moltzen is terrible at the back in terms of a pure fullback, however I like the way he just pops up and chimes into the line when we need an injection.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but we can't get away with those mediocre kick returns every week. He WALKS sideways when he picks up the ball, FFS!

Moltzen is not an organising halfback and neither is Lui, but I don't think either need to be the way the team is currently structured?

Maybe Lazarus at #1 and Moltzen at #7? I dunno.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Watching the game last night my first comments are that:

Good:

* the team dug deep to get out of the rut- they could easily have surrendered but didnt.
* Tuqiri did well and does show promise for a good 2010 season.
* good ability to set up plays and score from them.
* Benji, Farah and Ellis have continued the good form from last year.

Bad:
* Heighington was lucky not to be sin-binned with that string of penalties he incurred.
* Gibbs needs to watch his mouth- when he was penalised and them walked 10 for mouthing off he coudl ahve given Manly to opportunity to get back into the game.
* Fulton although never surrendering did not seem up to being a second rower- he was a speed bump several times.
* Lui didnt do anything bad, nor did he do anything good either. Didnt really notice him apart from a couple of kicks.
* the team seemed disorgansied in the period Manly was dominant- no organisation or plan- just scrambling.
* goal kicking 2 from 4 not good enough. Was only at the end WT were able to get a clear enough break from Manly- the extra 4 points would have made it sooner & easier.

All in all a good gutsy win but WT are still a work in progress both for established line up and performance. I'd still like to see Moltzen at half and Lui on the interchange bench for this season.

magpie_man

Juniors
i must be the only one who was pretty happy with lui's performance last night. he did some good long kicks, sweet cut-out passes wide and defensively wasn't too bad. after having the serial overlap killer j-mo in the #7 for so long, it's just nice to have a halfback who is willing to spread the ball for a change.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
MM - on Lui

Im just not sure on him

He certainly played a shed load better than his efforts last year.

Defended well for a half

Kicked OK

Really just gave very little in attack. He didnt throw the last pass before a break once.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I thought Lui went alright, some nice kicks, good balls & made some good hits in defence. Definately deserves to hold onto his spot for next week. Moltzen on the other hand, was great when he came into the line while attacking but he is pedestrian at fullback. Terrible under the highball & his kick returns are woefull. Not sure what Sheens should do, Lui deserves to hold onto his spot, but Moltzen is not the answer at fullback.

chopsy_05

Juniors
* Fulton although never surrendering did not seem up to being a second rower- he was a speed bump several times.

I thought Fulton was our best with Ellis.
Now onto the topic at hand. Can anyone tell me what position Fitzy was playing when he came on. Bare in mind we were down by 2 at this stage. Heighno, Moors, Cayless and Flanagan were all on the bench. Is Fitzy a backrower now? Manly were murdering us up the middle at times last night. We were just lucky that we enjoyed a flood of posession at the end of the match.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Maybe I should have placed Lui in 'dont know'. By saying I didnt notice him doesnt mean he was bad- god, I noticed JMo whenever he did a play killer.

Juniors
Ive been the biggest critic of Moltzen @ 1 & Lui @ 7, however i may take it back, in a couple weeks i hope.

Moltzen is deffinately more dangerous running wide & hard onto the ball. Lui only needs to deliver quality ball, which he has done. between Farah, Marshall & Moltzen Lui does not need to be a ball player.

Moltzen more than makes up for his inabilaties in the back with his injection into the atacking line.

Im happy to be wrong and would like to see this combination given a month to see how it progresses, however im sure if it all clicks Teflon will throw Tuqiri at full back and f**k it all up.

Magpies Forever

Juniors

I thought Fulton was our best with Ellis.
Now onto the topic at hand. Can anyone tell me what position Fitzy was playing when he came on. Bare in mind we were down by 2 at this stage. Heighno, Moors, Cayless and Flanagan were all on the bench. Is Fitzy a backrower now? Manly were murdering us up the middle at times last night. We were just lucky that we enjoyed a flood of posession at the end of the match.

I have the impression Fitzy was playing in the backrow and I may be wrong but I could have sworn I saw Heighington packing down in the front row in patches of the second half.

Johns Magic

Referee
I was at the game last night and thought Moltzen was terrible at the back for the first 60 but the best on ground in the last 20. He injected himself at the right times and probably won you the game in the end. Just needs to work on the high ball and urgency at the back and he could be a superstar there.

Lui did what he needed to do.

Fulton was a tackling machine and did a real good job I thought, your entire backrow are workaholics, definitely one of the best in the comp.

Your bench was absolutely horrible, not much more to be said there. I'm also curious as to what Fitzhenry's role off the bench is gonna be this year, surely not 10 minutes in the backrow every week?

Gibbs kept sticking his hand up to do the tough stuff and I think he's the most unfairly maligned player in the NRL. Nothing he does is pretty but as soon as he came off you lost a fair bit in the middle of the field. He's one tough nut.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I was at the game last night and thought Moltzen was terrible at the back for the first 60 but the best on ground in the last 20. He injected himself at the right times and probably won you the game in the end. Just needs to work on the high ball and urgency at the back and he could be a superstar there.

Fulton was a tackling machine and did a real good job I thought, your entire backrow are workaholics, definitely one of the best in the comp.

Your bench was absolutely horrible, not much more to be said there. I'm also curious as to what Fitzhenry's role off the bench is gonna be this year, surely not 10 minutes in the backrow every week?

Gibbs kept sticking his hand up to do the tough stuff and I think he's the most unfairly maligned player in the NRL. Nothing he does is pretty but as soon as he came off you lost a fair bit in the middle of the field. He's one tough nut.

Hard to argue with any of that.

Just on Gibbs I couldn't stand him up until last season, but he has stepped up since then. If he can just stop giving away stupid penalties (another one last night) then I'll have no problems with him. His defence was great and he made plenty of metres and gets through a sh*tload of work.

scarcev

Juniors
I dont know why people seem to like bagging Lui, he didnt play a traditional halfback role but with Benji on one side and Farah on the other all you need is a guy who can pass and tackle and take the pressure of with a few kicks, I think he did that alright last night. With two of the best ballplayers in the game we certainly dont need a dominant halfback. As for Moltzen, not convinced at fullback, but he did chime in well when needed and he wouldnt have got that amount of space at halfback. I think they both have to be in our starting lineup and this is the best way to fit them in.

I was more worried about our interchange forwards, we were driven back in attack and defence when they were on the park.

chopsy_05

Juniors
I have the impression Fitzy was playing in the backrow and I may be wrong but I could have sworn I saw Heighington packing down in the front row in patches of the second half.

Laughable isn't it. The bloke was out of his depth on the wing and in the most crucial time of the game he comes on as a backrower.

Bench

Good summary,our bench had no impact at all,Tim said Fitzy was cover for Tuqiri,so hopefully he will be gone next week.
I too like Fulton and Gibbs,but our bench needs some work.

Good summary,our bench were awful tonight,and Fitzy was cover for Tuqiri who was only gonna play 60 minutes,so hopefully he is gone next week.
Gibbs and Fulton were good,I like them both,but our bench needs some help.

Last edited:

westie

Bench
Laughable isn't it. The bloke was out of his depth on the wing and in the most crucial time of the game he comes on as a backrower.

I don't see why this is a problem, technically. Although he came on at the wrong time, if you're trying to come back from a deficit, you probably want more attackers on the field. He wasn't playing a second rower's game - just floating in the middle.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
QUOTE]

Hilarious ! Obviously you didn't see the 1st half. They only looked good because we started playing touch footy. Wait until the games and scorelines are tight.

Johns Magic

Referee
Hilarious ! Obviously you didn't see the 1st half.

Watched the whole game actually. The Tigers were on top early and should have been ahead by more before a string of penalties and errors gave Manly the lead, all when Gibbs and Galloway were off the field.

They only looked good because we started playing touch footy. Wait until the games and scorelines are tight.

Haha, a try in the dying minutes to win from behind isn't a tight game or scoreline. No doubt you'll try and come up with some sh*tty reason as to why Manly weren't good, before realising they have 4 internationals in their pack.

chunk

Juniors
Playing Lui at 7 and Moltzen at 1 make sense.

Moltzen can rove around and play 7 or 6 when the time is right.

Hodgeson was doing it years a go and it worked a treat.

Slater does it, Carney will do it