What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheens quits

gronkathon

First Grade
A culture of zero accountability and buddy buddy bullshit has led us down his path.

For me the last straws were Skando and his Tafe certificate being given the job to get our fitness right and failing along with talk of Simmons returning

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Hopefully the payout wont hurt us in regards to signing the BEST coach available. I'm in favour of Steve Folkes, the three years he was at our club was our most successful (outside of 2005) he also has a relationship already with the players. Hopefully the Dragons don't stand in his way if he is offered the job
If they do, we'll offer them Moltzen as part of the swap.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
I don't understand why it doesn't remotely concern anybody that the outgoing coach
has performed the clean out. This means

1) Robbie is picking who is staying and going, or else he leaves for Parra; in which
case we have what we had before, ie instead of benji and sheens picking the team
we'll have robbie picking the team and the coach.

2) The board choosing the personnel with a big up yours to the incoming coach.
What sort of a decent coach doesn't want to make his own decisions on personnel.
Maybe Humphreys can ring Nick Politis each week and ask him who to choose.

No wonder we are getting the big names like Matt Parish thrown around. Nothing
like giving an old boy a run.

Nothing has changed. They needed to sack the coach, let the coach do the clean
out, and let the coach pick the team without being beholden to players, and have the
coach report back to the board with progress reports.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Terry Lamb...haven't seen that name mentioned lately.

It has been, not solely on here either.

As for a new coach, I'm disappointed Jim Dymock has not been mentioned.

He took over the Dogs last year and one of the first things he did was punt Josh Morris to NSW Cup for a few weeks. A few months later he was playing for Australia.

This is the type of ruthlessness we need, someone who is not afraid to ruffle feathers, someone who is not afraid to make the tough calls, someone who will not stand for mediocre performances and will drop players who aren't performing, no matter who they are.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
It has been, not solely on here either.

As for a new coach, I'm disappointed Jim Dymock has not been mentioned.

He took over the Dogs last year and one of the first things he did was punt Josh Morris to NSW Cup for a few weeks. A few months later he was playing for Australia.

This is the type of ruthlessness we need, someone who is not afraid to ruffle feathers, someone who is not afraid to make the tough calls, someone who will not stand for mediocre performances and will drop players who aren't performing, no matter who they are.

It didn't help his coaching career though.

He went without Josh Morris' services and lost his job to boot.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I don't understand why it doesn't remotely concern anybody that the outgoing coach

1) Robbie is picking who is staying and going, or else he leaves for Parra; in which
case we have what we had before, ie instead of benji and sheens picking the team

What sort of a decent coach doesn't want to make his own decisions on personnel.

out, and let the coach pick the team without being beholden to players, and have the

Yep. I've mentioned it before that its ridiculous for the outgoing coach to be culling the team. That should be a call on the new coach. The new bloke is already hamstrung, for the first season atleast, with the choices of the previous coach.

Also as previously stated I feel there is more to come. I dont think Humphreys can be all to secure after all this unravels.

1/ he agreed to the terms of the extension contract for SHeens and no linking KPI's vs payout to the extension of an obviously tired in ideas coach.

2/ The WT board wanted to move Sheens into a coaching director role in the lifetime of the proposed extension contract, according to reports, Humphreys insisted on Sheens remaining as head coach if extended. His judgement has to be called into question. I think the board was more realistic of how things stood.

3/ there must be more to the cleanout of players happening at this stage of events. If its salary cap- he is in trouble. If he is allowing Sheens to merrily go on his way instead of a new coach doing this- he is in trouble with the incoming coach.

Hooch

Juniors
Farah would pick a better side than Marshall (he would pick whoever gave him a fruit roll-up yesterday), so maybe it's not too bad.

You can't do it cleanly now anyway. You can blame Humpty for leading you into this shitfight.

That last contract extension for Sheens was what did it. Just the slightest bit of competition and they fell over themselves to lock him in for a long period of time, as if he was Bellamy or Hasler. No thought given to succession or even a realistic appraisal of where the club is heading.

Decent coaches are wary of the poisoned chalice now, a reactive and directionless board and an unhappy team. More than likely the next coach in will cop a hiding.

Probably the best you can hope for is a rookie coach and that Humpty gets the house in order for 2014.

Depending how you go next year you could lose Farah.

The chickens have come home to roost.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Farah would pick a better side than Marshall (he would pick whoever gave him a fruit roll-up yesterday), so maybe it's not too bad.

You can't do it cleanly now anyway. You can blame Humpty for leading you into this shitfight.

That last contract extension for Sheens was what did it. Just the slightest bit of competition and they fell over themselves to lock him in for a long period of time, as if he was Bellamy or Hasler. No thought given to succession or even a realistic appraisal of where the club is heading.

Decent coaches are wary of the poisoned chalice now, a reactive and directionless board and an unhappy team. More than likely the next coach in will cop a hiding.

Probably the best you can hope for is a rookie coach and that Humpty gets the house in order for 2014.

Depending how you go next year you could lose Farah.

The chickens have come home to roost.

Fully agree. Have to say if all this erupted when Folkes was asst coach I would not be worried in the slightest in having Folkes take over to steady things until decisions made and totally sideline Sheens from everything. IN current circumstances we are in deep doo doo..........

hybrid_tiger

Coach
It didn't help his coaching career though.

He went without Josh Morris' services and lost his job to boot.

Dymock was only ever a stop gap until they signed Hasler.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear we have the finances to sign someone of Hasler's quality i.e Bellamy.

If Sheens was on $450K as reported, surely that is enough to attract someone of significant quality? Then again, it's been reported that the likes of Bellamy and Hasler are on $700K or thereabouts, so maybe not. That is the price you have to pay if you want someone with proven success.

R2Coupe

Juniors

Well said, except I wanted the coach to stay.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
It's like having the girl on the bed and she's down to her g string but trying to tell anyone that'll listen that she's a good girl and she `doesn't usually do this kind of thing'

Keep going please. What happens next?

moller

Juniors
End of the road surely.
I should be chuffed, but instead pretty concerned that this whole sorry episode has uncovered how unprofessional the entire front office is. Which player is going to want to hop aboard Humpty's train of incompetence?

Latest posts