What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheens Sues Tigers

BuffaloRules

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/wests-tigers-ceo-resigns/story-e6frexni-1225697025365

From April 2009

WESTS Tigers CEO Scott Longmuir last night resigned at an extraordinary board meeting called to deal with his dramatic falling out with head coach Tim Sheens.
Longmuir fronted all 10 Tigers directors knowing he was set to pay the price for his disagreement with Sheens, who was furious about being made to comply with a new set of key performance indicators (KPI).
The pair's feud culminated in the 5pm extraordinary board meeting at Concord Oval, where Longmuir quit just six months after his appointment.
The Wests Tigers board released a statement thanking Longmuir for his efforts and explaining Sheens' response to Longmuir's KPI requests.
"Media reports suggesting that Tim Sheens was shying away from accountability could not be further from the truth," the statement read.
"Anyone who knows Tim knows that he does not accept anything other than full commitment from everyone within his team and knows the standards he sets for himself."
The statement also responded to The Daily Telegraph's publishing yesterday of an email sent by Longmuir to all board members on March 31, which revealed the full extent of the pair's differences. In essence Longmuir felt the Tigers should be run as a business, while Sheens was adamant about running the merged entity as a football club.
"One of the ongoing challenges in sport administration is achieving the appropriate mix between business and sporting priorities. The board is confident it has the right strategies in place to deal with these challenges."
Longmuir's departure has been anticipated for some time, given he operated without a contract. The board considered his sacking a fortnight ago but decided to give the rookie CEO a chance to explain his decision to challenge Sheens.
Club insiders bemoaned Longmuir's lack of tact and diplomacy. He lost favour because of a falling-out with his personal assistant, inherited from previous CEO Steve Noyce.
It was felt Sheens should be held to account after three years in the finals wilderness, but Longmuir's personality was deemed "too abrasive".
The Daily Telegraph understands the club won't wait long to fill the breach, with three candidates earmarked for the top job.
A source close to the board last night said none of the trio came from a league background, but all boasted "fantastic business credentials".

macnaz

Staff member
If only they listened ... can anyone name the board members at that stage ? THEY ARE THE PEOPLE TO BLAME !! .

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given that the Tigers offered him other roles which he declined, I can't see how he's going to have a great deal of success.

"TIM Sheens will walk away from Wests Tigers for good.
The Daily Telegraph has been told that Sheens has declined several newly-created roles within the club after being sacked as head coach on September 25.
Sheens had another two years remaining on his Tigers deal, despite club officials shunting him in favour of new coach Mick Potter.
Fearing the club may be taken to court, Wests Tigers offered Sheens a job in development - but he has rejected the role."
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...id-for-kangaroos/story-fndujljl-1226541429011

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
UNDER-fire Tigers coach Tim Sheens gave club power brokers a verbal commitment to stand down if the team failed to qualify for this year's finals.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...fter-finals-flop/story-e6frexnr-1226479115976

September 22, 2012.

I don't care whats written in a contract and whats not, his words and his intentions were that he'd quit if the Tigers didn't make the finals in 2012.

They didn't.

He didn't quit and the club gave him ample time, so they pushed him instead.

He's just a bitter old prick who can't cope with the fact that he is the cause of his own demise. If a man's word is worth zero, then how on earth is a contract worth everything in the world?

innsaneink

Referee
Thats why I couldnt recall the famed "I'll stand down if we dont make the finals" statement

From a DT well placed source.

Might help the club in its case

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Took a long google search to find it, and i'll be honest, i was disappointed with the source too.

But i live in the hope that maybe there's some truth to this one.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Given that the Tigers offered him other roles which he declined, I can't see how he's going to have a great deal of success.

"TIM Sheens will walk away from Wests Tigers for good.
The Daily Telegraph has been told that Sheens has declined several newly-created roles within the club after being sacked as head coach on September 25.
Sheens had another two years remaining on his Tigers deal, despite club officials shunting him in favour of new coach Mick Potter.
Fearing the club may be taken to court, Wests Tigers offered Sheens a job in development - but he has rejected the role."
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...id-for-kangaroos/story-fndujljl-1226541429011

If he has a contract to be the Head Coach of the team for a specified period, he is under no obligation to accept any other subsequent role offered.

I am pretty sure that he is smart enough to get his own legal advice.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Took a long google search to find it, and i'll be honest, i was disappointed with the source too.

"Heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another you've been messing around"

I don't think the courts will read much into that hearsay.

tumblingdice

Juniors

I do recall him saying that on a TV interview after he had renewed his contract, though cant recall where, one of the footy shows. I was quite pleased, not because i wanted him to fail and leave, but i thought, well here we go good times coming. Bit better source than the DT.

However, its all in the framing of the wording of the contract, termination, consideration, dispute clauses, inter alia. Thats all the court can consider. Thats probably why he is going this way, rather than a gentlemanly dispute resolution settlement.
Saying its harmed his chances at getting another gig as a head coach in the NRL..well there's oly 16 of those positions available, he's not naturally entitled to one. Maybe just no one else stupid enough to pay him 750k. Didn't hurt him keeping the Australian coaching gig

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
My understanding is that he didn't turn up for work anymore either. Even though Potter was named as the coach (and he still deserves this year to prove himself) Sheens simply stopped turning up.

I'd be very surprised if the courts didn't rule against such behaviour. You at least have to front up if you think you deserve to get paid.

Dr Gonzo

Juniors
Think the club may be forced to use the "We shot him because we thought he was a burglar" defence ... whilst all us fans barf into a bucket for effect.

hDCA3E23E

oscar-pistorius_c_1193697.jpg

Matchball

Bench
I'm reading he wants the warriors job. Lol.
He is contracted to the Tigers and will have to drop this court action if he wants a release.

This puts the ball in our court. Let's home they pursue him.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Havent the Warriors already appointed a caretaker coach for 2014?

Shines is probably angling for the gig in 2015 when he will be a free agent...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Warriors coach is only interim. Sheens can still get an early gig.

If Warriors sign him then surely it puts holes in case (not being able to get work etc)

macnaz

Staff member
Warriors coach is only interim. Sheens can still get an early gig.

If Warriors sign him then surely it puts holes in case (not being able to get work etc)

If he is going for the gig next year they should ensure the case draws out into next season ;)

innsaneink

Referee
Hhahaha....the warriors are already a basket case

....and Sheens wants in????

Perfect fit....he'll leave that mob in a stinking heap in a few years time...

Steer clear warriors, he is bad news

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hhahaha....the warriors are already a basket case

....and Sheens wants in????

Perfect fit....he'll leave that mob in a stinking heap in a few years time...

Steer clear warriors, he is bad news
I think 2 years there, Sheens would do a great deal of good. A third year and he'd destroy all that work.