What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shontayne Hape should go into NZ side

bartman

Immortal
After watching both the NZ-Aussie game and the ESL GF (and replay highlights) I seriously think Bradford's Shontayne Hape should be in the NZ starting side.

At centre he's been playing like a winner, and has a great combination with Lesley Vainikolo. Given Vainikolo will come in for surgery bound Utai, I'd be throwing Hape in as well, he won't let you down.

Vagana didn't shine like we know he can (could), and he's been playing for a loser side all year! Although it also depends what NZ are planning in the halves - young guns or putting in an older option?

Robbie Paul will come into the mix somewhere, but he doesn't really seem to play a lot of gametime for Bradford, so you'd need to keep a backup on the bench. Someone that can cover dummy half and half/five eighth, or just leave it as is and use Paul in that bench utility role? But then what about Motu Tony - one of them at hooker perhaps?

So Vagana may only retain his centre spot due to his experience/seniority at the expense of Whatuira if Paul doesn't start in the halves? You can't really go in with centres and a five-eighth with only a few test games between them.

1. Webb
2. Meli
3. Vagana/Whatuira ?
4. Hape
5. Vainikolo
6. V Anderson ?
7. Leuluai ?
9. Paul
14. Tony
L Anderson :arrow: ?

Misanthrope

Staff member
I wouldn't be dropping Louis Anderson. He was one of New Zealand's performers in Saturday's test. For me, and I'm not 100% up to date with the form of all English players, I'd try something like

1: Webb
2: Vainikolo
3: Hape
4: Whatuira
5: Meli
6: V. Anderson
7: Leuluai
8: J. Cayless
9: Paul
10: Rauhihi
11: Wiki
12: Lauititi
13: Kidwell

14: N. Cayless
15: Chan
16: Williams
17: L. Anderson

The changes are all mostly to make room for those made available by the English SL season being over. Vainikolo walks into the squad, and as bartman has pointed out, his combination with Hape is a huge boon for Shontayne. That said, much of the Volcano's performance this year can be attributed to a solid wing/centre pairing. Lauiti into the run on, with Wiki moving into the second row to make room for Rauhihi. Williams to the bench, as he was noticeably fatigued by starting. Let Kidwell start, and bring on SBW to intimidate.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Robbie Paul should be nowhere near the Bradford side,let alone New Zealand's!

The only player I've seen to attempt to pass but just drop it to the floor,then when trying to pick it again kick it 30 yards backwards and pass it into touch.

Louis Anderson at hooker,Solomona on the bench.

Ray

Juniors
Solomona would be even near the NZ side, he's not even in the 25-strong squad.

Robbie Paul is a proven performer, so I expect him in the starting mix at least somwhere, either at standoff or halfback. Motu Tony had an impressive game, and injected speed and spark into the game from hooker. I would be tempted to keep him on the bench again, and play the tighter game of Louis Anderson at the start. Hape and Vainikolo have been in great form, they should replace Utai and Vagana. Jamaal Lolesi, I heard is 100% fit again. He should start on the wing instead of the inconsistent Francis Meli.

1 Brent Webb
2 Lesley Vainikolo
3 Shontayne Hape
4 Paul Whaturia
5 Jamaal Lolesi
6 Vinnie Anderson
7 Robbie Paul
9 Louis Anderson
14 Motu Tony

ozbash

Referee
Motu Tony had an impressive game, and injected speed and spark into the game from hooker.

""click :whistle ""

mots is not available, he is staying with his mrs and their new baby.

shame :?

Anonymous

Juniors
Nigel Vagana is one of my favourite players of all time, but his best is behind him I feel. He was terrible on Saturday, especially on defence where he left Meli hopelessly stranded time after time. By all accounts, Hape is the future :?

DIEHARD

----
Lauititi, Vainikolo, Paul, Hape and Tony must all be in the 17.

Montu Tony wont be availible, for real? :x

Ray

Juniors
Anderson missed one tackle. Vagana would go shit at standoff, can't catch anything.

mono_mal

Juniors
My Kiwi team for this Saturdays test against the Kangaroos at Loftus Rd would be:
1. Webb
2. Meli
3. Vagana
4. Whatuira
5. Vainikolo
6. Paul
7. Leulai
8. Cayless
9. Anderson
10. Rauhihi
11. Wiki
12. Lauititi
13. Williams

14. Kidwell
15. Cayless
16. Chan
17. Anderson

Iafeta

Referee
Thierry Henry said:
Nigel Vagana is one of my favourite players of all time, but his best is behind him I feel. He was terrible on Saturday, especially on defence where he left Meli hopelessly stranded time after time. By all accounts, Hape is the future :?

There was one set in particular where Nigel's defence confirmed the turning of the tide. He was brilliant in that regard.

I'd most definitely be keeping him, if there's a change to the centres it'll be at the expense of Whatuira. Lolesi would get my first call up ahead of Shontayne Hape.

Shontayne Hape, another brilliant young kid the Warriors decided not to resign.

Iafeta

Referee
Special K said:
Vagana to 6. He'll move up unlike Anderson and will make tackles against unlike Anderson.

Vinnie Anderson is one of the competitions best defenders. He had the highest work-rate by a country mile as far as defensive centres go.

nickdraperfto

Juniors
Evil Homer said:
Robbie Paul should be nowhere near the Bradford side,let alone New Zealand's!

The only player I've seen to attempt to pass but just drop it to the floor,then when trying to pick it again kick it 30 yards backwards and pass it into touch.

Louis Anderson at hooker,Solomona on the bench.

I have to agree, Paul has done nothing for YEARS and it seems he is living on past glories. Maybe he will leave the bulls at the end of the year?

Agreed, Hape in!

ozboy

Juniors
Vagana plays one bad match and all of a sudden NZ should drop him?

Yes he did perform badly in Newcastle but it was at fullback and he only really found form towards the end of the season. He wasnt that bad V Aus on Saturday and it was not the easiest of passes to catch let alone considering the conditions.

If I were to add to the centres for next week, I would pick a Jamaal Lolesi or Clinton Toopi before a Shontayne Hape. Lolesi was brilliant before injury ended his season and Toopi is one of the best centres around even if he did have an average season.

My team would be:
1-Webb
2-Vainikolo
3-Vagana
4-Toopi if injured Whatuira
5-Lolesi if injured Meli
6-Paul
7-Leuluai
8-Rauhihi
9-Anderson
10-Cayless
11-Wiki
12-Kidwell
13-Williams
14-V Anderson
15-Lautiti
16-Asotasi
17-N Cayless

nickdraperfto

Juniors
ozboy said:
Vagana plays one bad match and all of a sudden NZ should drop him?

Yes he did perform badly in Newcastle but it was at fullback and he only really found form towards the end of the season. He wasnt that bad V Aus on Saturday and it was not the easiest of passes to catch let alone considering the conditions.

If I were to add to the centres for next week, I would pick a Jamaal Lolesi or Clinton Toopi before a Shontayne Hape. Lolesi was brilliant before injury ended his season and Toopi is one of the best centres around even if he did have an average season.

I have to agree a little. When i suggested Hape should play it was a little rash as i haven't seen toopi and lolesi play this year. I can though say Hape is a class act who i do rate over Nigel Vagana, admittedly i havn't seen Vagana week in week out (like yourselves) but when i do, I think his talents are exagerated. Sods Law, i must miss his best games!

Latest posts