What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

should all teams get a go on free to air

sting

Bench
should all teams get a go on channel 9 on a rotating basis determined by the NRL or should 9 just get to decide?

I know they paid big bucks for the rights and obviously want good ratings but perhaps itd be in the best interests of the game and even the network eventually if they shared around the free to air coverage to all teams.

it would help teams get more exposure and maybe get more popular..

and anyway sometimes the most entertaining game of the round isnt the big channel 9 game...

your thoughts?

Razor

Coach
The draw should be done up for the full season at the start of the season. Channel 9 should have no input at all.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I agree only to the extent that Canberra, Melbourne and NQ tend to miss out unless they are at the top. Otherwise, no. C9 have the right to televise the top 2 games as they see it, which is actuallly the best showpiece for the game.

Edwahu

Bench
I hate to say it been a Raiders fan but with Elliots style of footy they need to keep us off FTA for the good of the game.

aids

Bench
with 9 losing the afl, it would good to see nrl marketed as a rival to afl in melbourne, sa and wa.
maybe even the storm getting a similar deal to the bronx do in brisbane, with their game being shown on FTA.

Glen

Bench
Razor said:
The draw should be done up for the full season at the start of the season. Channel 9 should have no input at all.
Channel 9 spends the big bucks for TV rights, they should have a fair bit of input into choosing games that they think will rate

Bumble

First Grade
Every team should get the same number of games..

26 rounds, 4 teams are on every weekend...thats 104 teams on the TV all year.

104/15= 7 (6.93...so Canberra misses out on one I suppose!)

Cletus

First Grade
If Ch 9 can't choose the games that will rate well they won't pay as much for the rights to FTA. If they can't pay as much then the NRL grant to clubs won't be as much.

Who really wants to see Souths vs Cronulla? Not me.

Timbo

Staff member
Every team should be garunteed at least 5 games per season when the new deal kicks in.

The new deal involves 3 FTA games per week so that gives 9 a bit more to work with.

If you have 3 per round, 26 rounds per year, thats 78 FTA games per year, allowing 156 appearances.

16 teams multiplied by 5 equals 80 appearances. Which still leaves 76 slots for well performing teams to get additional exposure, and gives other sides needed exposure to keep fans and sponsors.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Onan the barbarian said:

Souths and Sharks fans would

I don't want to see any Manly games (excluding those v Parra) but does that mean they shouldn't get on FTA - NO

Bumble

First Grade
Onan the barbarian said:
If Ch 9 can't choose the games that will rate well they won't pay as much for the rights to FTA. If they can't pay as much then the NRL grant to clubs won't be as much.

I sure as hell don't want to see the Broncos vs Manly vs Roosters...the 3 dullest teams to watch.

Cletus

First Grade
So would you like to see Manly flogged by Nth Queensland? Bet your arses you would. Ch 9 will show games that people want to watch and those games don't involve every team. Newcastle vs Nth Queensland was a cracker of a game and there's no way Ch 9 wouldn't want to show it or fans wouldn't want to see it. But it's the wooden spooners vs the finalists so you can't program for that. Fans want to see two competitive teams playing and you can't do that by showing every single team equally. If there are only two games every week I certainly don't want to see the ordinary games, and this is after Manly have barely been on FTA for the last five years. There's a reason for that, if your team is sh*t, get Fox.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Misty Bee said:
I agree only to the extent that Canberra, Melbourne and NQ tend to miss out unless they are at the top. Otherwise, no. C9 have the right to televise the top 2 games as they see it, which is actuallly the best showpiece for the game.

Warriors too. Round 5 2004 is the last 9 appearance, from memory.

Given how inspiring their style of play is, i'm suprised.

Its bad enough only a few weeks ahead with a yawnathon game of Eels and Tigers on. - No disrespect to fans but both teams have been below par this year.

Doing it on a yearly basis! - Gasp, shock, horror.

I dont really think two teams in the bottom 3 playing is worthy of a friday night do you?

HannahMc

Juniors
All the teams should have certain games played free to air. Imagine if it was YOUR team that didn't get any free airtime at all. Where would you be without cable? Unless you want to go spend money to see it at a bar, or hunt down a mate to watch it with, there's basically nothing you can do.

If only it was possible to air all games free on channel 9...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
IanRitchie said:
Warriors too. Round 5 2004 is the last 9 appearance, from memory.

Given how inspiring their style of play is, i'm suprised.

Get a grip Ian, our style of play is about as inspiring as Canberra's these days. That said I still think we (and the other less favoured teams) deserve an occaisional FTA game. I don't think programming FTA games at the start of the season is a good idea though (you want to make sure that important matches are shown), game should be programmed a few weeks out with the intention that perhaps 2 or 3 sides shown on FTA that weekend are top sides, that way even cellar-dwellars are likely to get at least two FTA games per season.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
IanRitchie said:
That was my particularly sarcastic point.

Sorry mate, sarcasm doesn't translate to text too well... I assumed you were spouting the same bollocks about our syle of play that most people who haven't seen us since our last FTA game tend to do!

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
SpaceMonkey said:
Sorry mate, sarcasm doesn't translate to text too well... I assumed you were spouting the same bollocks about our syle of play that most people who haven't seen us since our last FTA game tend to do!

I should have used some of those smilies. Hopefully after that Raiders game all those wallies who keep dropping out the attacking cliches will finally shutup.

Latest posts