What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Israel Folau be moved to Left Centre?

catch22

Juniors
While i would agree michaels is abit of an issue at the moment, i don't know if moving Folau across the paddock is the fix. However just a quick note about the manly game i'm pretty sure Parker was switched to lockys side in defence that game which weakened the left hand side defence quite dramatically, but meh michaels was horrid.

At the moment we have good options in the air on both sides with Folau and Winterstein (only in attack as i cringe everytime he tries to defuse a bomb in defence) and stacking them both on the same side i think would be abit detrimental. Also as i understand it both Folau and Hodges are terrible left centers and both have been tried there in the past with very little success (i hear this was due to bad junior coaching more than anything) So switching it mid season is probably not a good idea either.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Glenn playing left center alongside Winterstein - although a rookie partnership does seem abit risky. Glenn has been as safe as a church in everything he has done this year for us and may be worth a go?

Would be Parker - Wallace - Glenn - Winterstein as our left hand side defence which seems pretty good to me.

andrew057

First Grade
Lol - and people were talking up his Origin chances about a month ago. I agree that Folau is a better centre, but is he more effective when he's got Winterstein outside him? As opposed to playing next to Hodges?

Pretty effective Friday night without Hodges.

Country Bronco

Juniors
The Acid Test should come friday night for michaels when the broncos play the tigers. I would suspect that the tigers will send a lot of traffic to the lefthand side. Most notably it will be tuiaki running at michaels.

boxa777

Coach
The Acid Test should come friday night for michaels when the broncos play the tigers. I would suspect that the tigers will send a lot of traffic to the lefthand side. Most notably it will be tuiaki running at michaels.

Michaels plays on the left, as does Tuiaki for the Tigers so your match ups are wrong.

Michaels should be up against the Halatau/Ryan combination on the Tigers right.

LESStar58

Referee
Should Israel Folau be moved to Left Centre?

I'll weigh into this as a non-Broncos fan.

Why would you. He showed in Origin 3 last year that he's far more effective on the RHS.

Dazzat

First Grade
Let's face it ... whatever combination we use the Broncos have an embarrassement of riches in the backline.

Most clubs would fit Michaels into their backline at a drop of a hat. Granted the guy is struggling a little at the moment ... but cast your mind back before his knee injury and he was showing signs of an elite player.

Those who have never had a knee construction probably don't know the journey back ... but it's full of self doubt and second guessing. Give him time ... he'll return to his former self.

Surely Henjak can construct a game plan that helps the Hodges/Folou combination score about 30-40 tries between them in a year. Up to this point he's played the Joker - going left with Michaels/Winterstein.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
whilst i think folau is going to be more damaging at centre and should be given the opportunity to play left centre it will take a bit of time for him to get used to playing on the elft. he's so effective on the right with the way he catches the ball and the direction it comes in, to change him to the left means getting him used to different angles etc.

i just think wh9ilst he's scoring plenty of tries on the right wing his best position is going to be centre where he has more space and will touch the ball more often

Big Pete

Referee
Just read an interesting article in Big League on Steve Michaels. It appears he's aware of his inconsistent form and blames it on the injury. It sounds like one of those situations where Henjack has to remain patient.