What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Mary's Contract Be Extended For another 3 Year Term?

Sould Mary's Contract Be Extended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hazzbeen

Bench
I have no faith what so ever in Mary.
He has been given every chance to do well , his contract has been extended when he should have been shafted . Players have been upgraded for him , he now has the team he wanted . I don't have any faith with this bloke winning us another title ..... So all the big knobs running the show believe he is close to a premiership ..... So how much longer do they keep him going ? He has had more than a fair go , his boy's club membership should not be renewed .....

Gareth67

First Grade
Although the Roosters won the title last season I believe that the Dragons were not that far behind them and also the other contenders IF only we had a coach who could think more positively, was more open minded in his selection choices. I am not saying that we would had beaten the chooks , but we would had given them a run for their money .

Mary most unfortunately just does not have what it takes to win the big prize- he does not seem to be able to get his defense in order and does not instill confidence into his players . Our great form in the semis after playing so shocking in the final competition matches I put down to the players themselves. Still the maestro could prove me wrong , but that would be akin to me winning tonight’s $ 30 million lotto .

Frank Facer

First Grade
It is Mary's selections that I am most critical of. His continued selection of Lafai in 2016. His continued selection of Aitken in 17 and 18. His continued selection of Nightingale last year.

Mary has taken the age old adage of pick and stick to another level. I expect him to continue to select, Aitken, Lafai, Latimore and Pereira this year.

He isn't confident enough to give the younger up and coming guys a shot at first grade. I would like to see Marsters given a shot in first grade this year. He looks to have the physical build to handle first grade. If Saab is performing well in ISP, then I would like to see him given a shot too. For next year, I like the idea of a backline of

1 Dufty/Field
2 Saab
3 Lomax
4 Marsters
5 Pearson/Ravalawa
6 Hunt
7 Norman

But the only chance our young up and comers have of getting a shot in first grade is if one of the first graders gets injured.

blacksafake

First Grade
Our team doesn’t show signs of being a well drilled, well coached squad. The deficiencies of the past years continue each year. I haven’t yet seen enough from the team to believe in Mary.
For NRL standards they are well below par in skill levels.
Just simple things like catch & pass,picking the ball up off the ground on the run. The majority of other sides look like poetry in motion when the ball goes through their hands with their wingers scoring untouched in the corners.Not us, we look clunky & if our wingers do score it's form close range barging over. I can't remember ever seeing Dufty chiming into the backline & going through a hole,unless he's done it all himself. .All our better attacking raids come individually from Widdop,Hunt or Dufty. The other thing I've noticed is how slow & disorganised they look when getting off the tackled player-not to mention turning their backs while running back- which leads at times to players like McInnes getting penalised for trying to slow the play down.The better coached sides peel off in order.
The moral to the story? Poorly coached.

possm

Coach
For NRL standards they are well below par in skill levels.
Just simple things like catch & pass,picking the ball up off the ground on the run. The majority of other sides look like poetry in motion when the ball goes through their hands with their wingers scoring untouched in the corners.Not us, we look clunky & if our wingers do score it's form close range barging over. I can't remember ever seeing Dufty chiming into the backline & going through a hole,unless he's done it all himself. .All our better attacking raids come individually from Widdop,Hunt or Dufty. The other thing I've noticed is how slow & disorganised they look when getting off the tackled player-not to mention turning their backs while running back- which leads at times to players like McInnes getting penalised for trying to slow the play down.The better coached sides peel off in order.
The moral to the story? Poorly coached.

It is clear to most SGI fans that Mary is not up to the job so why is it that Johnston our new CEO so confidently came out with recommendations of a contract extension for Mary. HIs primary reason was to support the players during the De Belin crisis.

Was Johnston appointed CEO on the condition he supported Mary's contract extension? I can find no other reason for his endorsement.

possm

Coach
87% of those who have voted so far do not want Mary as coach. It is your chance to have your say so get in and vote!

Although the Roosters won the title last season I believe that the Dragons were not that far behind them and also the other contenders IF only we had a coach who could think more positively, was more open minded in his selection choices. I am not saying that we would had beaten the chooks , but we would had given them a run for their money .

Mary most unfortunately just does not have what it takes to win the big prize- he does not seem to be able to get his defense in order and does not instill confidence into his players . Our great form in the semis after playing so shocking in the final competition matches I put down to the players themselves. Still the maestro could prove me wrong , but that would be akin to me winning tonight’s $ 30 million lotto .
Well said which brings us to the question "Why is the Board in such a hurry to sit down with McGregor and discuss terms of an extension???"

getsmarty

Immortal
Well said which brings us to the question "Why is the Board in such a hurry to sit down with McGregor and discuss terms of an extension???"

1/. They want stability ( players want to know who will be the coach over the coming years _)..that's the public line being trotted out.
2/. No other experienced coach will come into our set up because they cannot bring their own staff along..eg they have to work with Hornby/young etc

I do not endorse any of the above.

possm

Coach
Unfortunately he is correct....Expect to hear of the contract extension soon....only thing that will turn the Titanic around is if we tank and lose 6 in a row...and even then they will probably just bring in another outside coach to help McGregor....

There is already talk of Barrett being Mary's assistant coach in 2020.

possm

Coach

Officially from the CEO, because Mary is the best person to guide the players through the De Belin crisis. He will maintain stability.

Yes an absolute load of crap designed to take advantage of De Belin's situation and have a ready made excuse if the team tanks.

• Playing Widdop at fullback and Dufty off the bench shows Mary does not have confidence in Dufty as our fullback.
  • Not including Robson in the 17 shows Mary does not want one of his favourite players - McInnes - being shown up by one of the hottest prospects to come through our juniors in recent times.
  • Not including Lomax in the 17 shows Mary does not want one of his favourite players - Aitken - being shown up again by one of the bright young centres making his way to first grade inclusion.
So it is all about Mary and his tightly held preferences which have very little to do with doing his job by picking the best possible team each round.

Latest posts