What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should NZ become an AFL nation?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I really can't imagine maoris and islanders going for a sport where you cop a penalty (actually you'd probably get sent off) for making a decent tackle!! :lol: :lol:

bayrep

Juniors
I thought there was a social comp in Wellington ? from what I hear it was meant to be pretty popular. Though I cant see it taking off in NZ.

Te Kaha

First Grade
bayrep said:
I thought there was a social comp in Wellington ? from what I hear it was meant to be pretty popular.....

Not at all, it barely EVER rates a mention. Even when they had a couple of AFL teams play at the Stadium they only got a few thousand turn up to watch it.

grayham

Juniors
THere are AFL comps (called "AFL" not Aussie rules, as to avoid any chips on shoulders getting bigger) in the major cities, and now most primary schools play a version of auskick (I think called kiwi-kick), so the bare foundations are there. Still a long way to go, but only slightly behind where Sydney was before the Swans.

The next stage would be to set up a team there. Wellington has the only decent stadium, and thats city is not really big enough. Any facilities for any sport are really 3rd-world compared to Australia. It would have to be Auckland, but even then, it would be well behind the AFL's priorities of second teams in Sydney and Brisbane.

The AFL is smart enough to realise that having a strong domestic comp (where equalisation policies can be implemented) is far more important than the vagaries of an international presence. Something RL should consider!

Continued Australian expansion is valued far and above international, but someone must be funding the kiwi-kick thing. Not sure who.

Te Kaha

First Grade
grayham said:
THere are AFL comps (called "AFL" not Aussie rules, as to avoid any chips on shoulders getting bigger) in the major cities, and now most primary schools play a version of auskick (I think called kiwi-kick), so the bare foundations are there.

Either you are making up stories or you have been lied to. The "AFL comps" consist of three or four teams no more. In Auckland, Wellington & Christchurch ONLY. And played in MOST primary schools????????? MAYBE played in one or two in the whole country.

grayham said:
Still a long way to go, but only slightly behind where Sydney was before the Swans.
AFL, Aussie rules whatever you call it has NO profile in this country. There will NEVER be a team based in NZ.

grayham said:
The next stage would be to set up a team there. Wellington has the only decent stadium, and thats city is not really big enough. Any facilities for any sport are really 3rd-world compared to Australia. It would have to be Auckland, but even then, it would be well behind the AFL's priorities of second teams in Sydney and Brisbane.
See above.

grayham said:
Continued Australian expansion is valued far and above international, but someone must be funding the kiwi-kick thing. Not sure who.

Could it be that it in fact doesn't exist and no body is paying for it. Much more likely the case.

grayham

Juniors
Te Kaha said:
grayham said:
THere are AFL comps (called "AFL" not Aussie rules, as to avoid any chips on shoulders getting bigger) in the major cities, and now most primary schools play a version of auskick (I think called kiwi-kick), so the bare foundations are there.

Either you are making up stories or you have been lied to. The "AFL comps" consist of three or four teams no more. In Auckland, Wellington & Christchurch ONLY. And played in MOST primary schools????????? MAYBE played in one or two in the whole country.

Auck, Well, Chirstchurch ARE the major cities. There arent any more, and even Well and ChCh would struggle to be included in anyones list of major anything. Anyway, each has a local comp of AFL like I said.

I know numerous kids who play a sort of AFL type game (kiwi-kick) as part of the school ciricumlum.
See http://www.nzafl.co.nz/ for more details. Currently 50 teams, and look under the schools link for setups in all MAJOR cities.

Te Kaha

First Grade
grayham said:
Te Kaha said:
grayham said:

Auck, Well, Chirstchurch ARE the major cities. There arent any more, and even Well and ChCh would struggle to be included in anyones list of major anything. Anyway, each has a local comp of AFL like I said.

I know numerous kids who play a sort of AFL type game (kiwi-kick) as part of the school ciricumlum.
See http://www.nzafl.co.nz/ for more details. Currently 50 teams, and look under the schools link for setups in all MAJOR cities.

What great comps, Auckland 5 teams, Hamilton 3 teams, Wellington & Christchurch 4 Teams.

That was a great site I especially liked there goalsset up in 1997, six years on

The major objectives of the NZAFL Development Plan are to:

Establish Australian Football in the New Zealand school sports curriculum at primary, intermediate and secondary level.

50 teams nationwide take out the 12 in their "comps" only leaves 38 school teams nationwide after 6 years . Hardly something to write home about

Provide players at junior level with an opportunity to compete in Australian Football competitions at school and club level in the major cities of New Zealand.

See above

Strengthen open age competitions by encouraging junior players to participate in senior club football.

Doesn't seem to have worked very well

Establish Australian Football as a recognised and accepted television and spectator sport in New Zealand.

Not happened in the slightest. Big time failure there.

Establish New Zealand as a territory from which potential AFL footballers may be recruited.

Any yet? NO

grayham

Juniors
Te Kaha said:
grayham said:
Te Kaha said:
grayham said:

What great comps, Auckland 5 teams, Hamilton 3 teams, Wellington & Christchurch 4 Teams.

That was a great site I especially liked there goalsset up in 1997, six years on

You miss the point. They are building AFL infrastructure from nothing. What they have acheived in 6 years is amazing for what little funding they receive. I'd say there is more AFL infrastructure at grass roots level in NZ, than RL in Vic, Tas, WA and SA.

If RU ever takes of globally, NZ will not be able to compete with bigger countries. A few years of the all-blacks being easy beats, and RU would struggle and a new sport could jump up if the foundations were there.
Not saying it would happen, but no one every though of Super league and how the swans leveraged it to become the No. 1 club in Sydney of any code. Strange things do happen.

One thing you do have to admire about the AFL (if you take your bias out) is they are about the only code in the world which has a centralised administration with long term effective expansion programs that have proven successful. If any new sport could expand into NZ, AFL would probably be the best chance.

When NZ moves to the Aussie dollar in the next 20 years, they will be honorary aussies anyway, and wont be put off by the name "aussie" rules. :D

iggy plop

First Grade
League would then take over mate. The Kiwis would've latched onto aerial ping pong by now if they really liked it.

Te Kaha

First Grade
There is truley nobody as blind as one who cant see.....

grayham said:
You miss the point. They are building AFL infrastructure from nothing. What they have acheived in 6 years is amazing for what little funding they receive. I'd say there is more AFL infrastructure at grass roots level in NZ, than RL in Vic, Tas, WA and SA.
What grass roots Level????? It can be played in school like a hundred other sports. There are 30 odd school teams nation wide out of how many hundrds of schools?
There are 12 count them 12 clubs (and that term is used loosley) established in six years AFL has about as much interest as Handball and less than American Football in this country.

grayham said:
If RU ever takes of globally, NZ will not be able to compete with bigger countries. A few years of the all-blacks being easy beats, and RU would struggle and a new sport could jump up if the foundations were there.
Not saying it would happen, but no one every though of Super league and how the swans leveraged it to become the No. 1 club in Sydney of any code. Strange things do happen.

That paragraph can only be treated with contempt it deserves. Given that you obviously don't undestand the history of the All Blacks and a lesser extent the Kiwis and what they mean to the NZ culture I will leave it there. How does that song go " dreamer, your nothing but a dreamer".

grayham said:
One thing you do have to admire about the AFL (if you take your bias out) is they are about the only code in the world which has a centralised administration with long term effective expansion programs that have proven successful. If any new sport could expand into NZ, AFL would probably be the best chance.

It is fairly easy to have a "centralised administration with long term effective expansion programs" when it's only really played in one country. And I like the "that have proven successful" The Warriors have proven succesful or hadn't you noticed.

grayham said:
When NZ moves to the Aussie dollar in the next 20 years, they will be honorary aussies anyway, and wont be put off by the name "aussie" rules. :D
How did that song go again.......

Te Kaha

First Grade
grayham said:
I take it you are not open to new sports Te Kana? :lol:

If your refering to me, of course I like new sports. The difference is Aussie Rules is NOT a new sport, it is just one that doesn't hold any appeal to about 99% of New Zealand.

In order for a sport to survive you need support for it. After six years AFl has next to no support of following.

timmy!!!!

Juniors
Te Kaha said:
In order for a sport to survive you need support for it. After six years AFl has next to no support of following.

You know, 6 years is not very long for a new sport to gain a foothold in a country. All they are trying to do at the moment is get people playing and making sure people know it is out there. And that is a very hard, time consuming process. Especially in the first few years when there isn't anything already established.

Becoming a sport that people actually follow (as opposed to play) would be a long term goal of the NZAFL and something they are trying to do from the ground up. At the moment they would be happy to just be an option. Which they are since they now have a few leagues around the country an 17 (not 12) senior teams.

And for a sport to survive it doesn't need to be in every bodies face and hyped up, it just needs to continue to grow which the NZAFL has done with 100% growth in playing numbers since 2001.

The one thing I do agree with you is that NZ won't have a team in the forseeable future. But who would have thought Brisbane would win three flags in a row.

XXXX

Juniors
I just have to laugh .All you RL supporters knocking AFL in NZ because it contains the word "Australian" .Dont you all realise that you're all playing English football ,derived from an English uppercrust private school .Even if you don't like the game it's about the last thing that we can hold onto and say it's Australian .

By the way more people particpate in Ar in NZ than RL in Melbourne .AR has always been in NZ since it was known as "Colonial Rules" .Only a later goldrush influx of Englishmen saw NZ go the way of rugby .

timmy!!!!

Juniors
incredible_holc said:
yeh but its called 'Aussie Rules' and somehow i get the feeling that nz on a whole dont like Aus that much

Because they know us too well. :lol:

Conversely, in other parts of the world the australian connection makes it more exotic because they don't know much about australia.

bazza

Immortal
XXXX said:
By the way more people particpate in Ar in NZ than RL in Melbourne .AR has always been in NZ since it was known as "Colonial Rules" .Only a later goldrush influx of Englishmen saw NZ go the way of rugby .

How many people play league in Melbourne and Aussie Rules in NZ?

dimitri

First Grade
I just have to laugh .All you RL supporters knocking AFL in NZ because it contains the word "Australian" .Dont you all realise that you're all playing English football ,derived from an English uppercrust private school .Even if you don't like the game it's about the last thing that we can hold onto and say it's Australian .

By the way more people particpate in Ar in NZ than RL in Melbourne .AR has always been in NZ since it was known as "Colonial

nobody said RL was australian

:? :? :?

Latest posts