What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should spot kick penalties given be reviewed

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
Currently technology can be used to review goal line decision- ie if the football went over the line but why can't spot kick penalties also be reviewed- over the years and during this world cup penalties have been given which shouldn't have been (players admitting to diving etc) and penalties that should have been awarded haven't been.

It wont take long to review these especially as the game stops at the point- the only issue would be if no spot kick penalty is to be awarded how does the game restart.

2 suggestions

A restart similiar to AFL - Ref tosses the ball in the air in the direction of the two players who head the ball to restart the game- game restarted outside the penalty box.

A restart similar to field hockey( the bully) a player from each side ball in the middle the players- ref blow time on both players then try to obtain possession by the use of their feet.

Any other ideas or views??

Danish

Referee
I would like that idea.

You'd have 3 options on how to restart play...

1) Penalty upheld. Spot kick taken
2) Diva identified. Yellow card awarded and free kick to defending team
3) Clean tackle identified. Drop ball outside the area as they do when the ref stops play for an injury. Player courtesy would dictate that the attacking side simply kicks the ball dead for a goal kick or passes back to the defending keeper

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I thought for a minute this might be a sensible discussion, like using the replay to see if the keeper is stationary, like he is supposed to be, prior to the kick being taken.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't see why we can't avail ourselves of the video technology when awarding such crucial decisions. A number of penalties in this World Cup have been criticised widely for being incorrectly given.

I understand it would prevent FIFA's favourite teams from progressing in some cases, but it doesn't make sense to ignore an available technology when games are hanging in the balance and a spot kick is a virtually guaranteed goal.

abpanther

Staff member
I thought for a minute this might be a sensible discussion, like using the replay to see if the keeper is stationary, like he is supposed to be, prior to the kick being taken.

The way people harp on about this annoys me, hell the keeper already has little chance as it is to save a penalty, a little hop forward to assist is not a big deal, players should still be good enough to slot it away

Noa

First Grade

They changed that years ago.

Technically he is allowed to move along his line, not forward though

langpark

First Grade
Goalies jumping forward off the line doesn't irritate me nearly as much as players baulking during their run up to take the kick. This is supposedly not allowed either, but they get away with it all the time...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They can baulk but cant stop dead then restart. That's my understanding of the rules.

Mong

Post Whore
Don't review them, it's still subjective in many cases and they will still get it wrong.

I'm happy with the ref making the call..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough, but looking at some of the penalty shoot outs where we see score lines of 3-2, I think the goalies are fighting back

I was a goalkeeper when I played and it was absolute bullshit that we had to stay on our line, 1 hop forward shouldn't make any difference. Are we meant to just dive and nail ourselves on the post every time? It's an unfair rule imo.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Don't review them, it's still subjective in many cases and they will still get it wrong.

I'm happy with the ref making the call..

For hand balls and the like, I'd be fine with no review.

But with football players these days being so f**king dive happy, surely reviewing to make sure contact was actually made would help the game's reputation?

Danish

Referee
Given there is usually at least 1 minutes between when a penalty is awarded and when it is taken (if not more), I don't think it would be too difficult to review. Its not going to add time after all.

Given the amount of fight it took for goal line technology to be allowed though it will probably take 20 years before video reviews are ever brought in

Mong

Post Whore
Given there is usually at least 1 minutes between when a penalty is awarded and when it is taken (if not more), I don't think it would be too difficult to review. Its not going to add time after all.

Given the amount of fight it took for goal line technology to be allowed though it will probably take 20 years before video reviews are ever brought in

Yeah it will, look at league, it's not that often the players do anything except stand around and wait for the decision, and then they get ready for the restart.

And often the call is somehow wrong.

It would have to be a system of review all penalties for everything, it's another complication that isn't needed IMO.

Goal line technology is way different, it's a goal or it isn't, penalties are not as black and white most of the time.

Latest posts